PDA

View Full Version : 1911 mags in Kahrs

DeaconKC
04-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Okay, while I was at the NRA meeting yesterday, got to hang out at the Kahr booth a little. While there talked with one of the engineers and asked him about using 1911 mags in a Kahr .45. He pulled a mag out of a 1911 sitting there and we tried them out. A regular 1911 full size mag will not seat in the CT45 unless you would cut the front of the grip/magwell back, but will fit in all the rest! He also told me that because of a slight difference in the angle of the grip due to the barrel design, some 1911 mags could/would work, but some will not. Strictly a try it and see proposition.

Scarywoody
04-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Why not just make them to take the 1911 mags. It would lend a huge versatility. I know, Kahr wants to reap the profits on the proprietary mags. Narrow thinking.

yqtszhj
04-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Why not just make them to take the 1911 mags. It would lend a huge versatility. I know, Kahr wants to reap the profits on the proprietary mags. Narrow thinking.

Actually I would bet the mag design followed the slide/frame design as not all .45 single stacks will use a 1911 mag.

I think that the fact that some wilson combat and act-mag 1911 mags will work shows its pretty close and not all 1911 mags are created equally.

CJB
04-12-2015, 06:13 AM
There is a long, long thread on this very subject.

Summary:
Some Kahr's need frame alternation, as noted.
Some magazines require the top of the forward edge of the lip to be remove, in order to clear the slide.
Some will hold the slide open, others will not. Deal breaker for some shooters, not for all.
Most actually feed ok, if you can get them in the frame, and the slide doesn't hit them.

DeaconKC
04-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Yup CJB, I didn't post this there because I felt this was new info from the company. You nailed it on the head, tolerances in design will be the determining factor.