PDA

View Full Version : New PM9 Can't remove the slide stop

mikearc
07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I got a new PM9 yesterday, it has the matte blackened SS frame with the night sights. It just looks awesome. So now I'm going to clean it today, but the problem is I can't get the slide stop off. I tried the (hard) plastic end of a screwdriver like the manual says, no luck and all my screwdrivers are metal and I' concerned I could scratch it. It seems really tight. Any ideas, would it be a real problem to just go shoot it without that first cleaning? Thanks

kb2wji
07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
With the slide all the way forward, push with your thumb on the slide stop. Now slowly rack back the slide as you are pushing on the slide stop. You will feel a little click when all the stars and planets align. Thats when you give it that extra push and it should come free. My index marks on the slide dont exactly line up in the right spot, so I just "feel" it as I pull the slide. Worth a shot, as you cant always trust the index marks.

MikeyKahr
07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
With the slide all the way forward, push with your thumb on the slide stop. Now slowly rack back the slide as you are pushing on the slide stop. You will feel a little click when all the stars and planets align. Thats when you give it that extra push and it should come free. My index marks on the slide dont exactly line up in the right spot, so I just "feel" it as I pull the slide. Worth a shot, as you cant always trust the index marks.

Good advice, kb, thanks for sharing that. mikearc, I totally know what you're feeling right now. I just bought my PM9 last month and the first time getting the slide stop out was unbelievably difficult. If someone would have been videorecording me during the ordeal I think that video would have gone viral. Maybe the latest batch of PM9s are more tight than usual these days?

Anyways, after increasing amounts of force in my strikes I finally gave it a good whack and out it came. After that first time out, it's incredibly easy on and off now - but there's something about that first time that makes it extremely difficult. I also used the butt end of the screwdriver as advised, and I also didn't want to scratch my new purchase. So I initially put duct tape over the butt end and then eventually put a thick bundle of cotton/cloth over it for the really good whack. And it worked. And I would absolutely suggest the cleaning and proper prepping before shooting, that's the best for you and for the gun. Good luck to you

mikearc
07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey kb2wji, Thanks for the help, it worked great, now I know what those safecrackers in the movies feel like when they hear the 'click'. :)

mikearc
07-10-2010, 05:13 PM
MikeyKahr, Yea it seems tight for sure and it's pretty fresh off the line, Kahar said it was made on June 24th. Now that I spent so much time messing with it I've got to stop and do family stuff. Oh well, there is always tomorrow. Thanks all

Bawanna
07-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Whenever I put mine back together I put a little grease on that spring that holds thing in place as well as a little grease on the pin itself. I keep the lever part at about 5 oclock as I insert it and only put it up where it belongs as the notch lines up for the final push.
My K40 requires a good wack with a plastic faced hammer everytime and shows no signs of getting any easier.

Cappy
07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
My PM9 has been easier then my p45. To get the stop out of my P45 I took the point tip off a gulf tee, set the tee head down with the shaft pointing up, lined up the slide with the index marks --alined the slide stop with the tee and pushed down. With a little wiggle on the slip the stop moved out enough to pull it. This was the only way I could that one out, and as you said, I refused to use the blade of the screwdrive and scratch my finish. Now I keep that tee in my gun bag. Just another idea. As already said, I also use a little grease on it to help with future cleanings.