PDA

View Full Version : SD ammo hitting low?

AFDoc
05-14-2015, 07:57 PM
I finally got to the point (after all the fixes that my CW45 goes bang every time) to try some SD ammo. Tried Hornady Critical Defense 200gr and Federal HST 230gr. Weapon functioned well but POI was low (really low, 6 in at 8 yards) compared to POA. Does not happen with WWB or Federal ball ammo. Anyone experience this? Thoughts?

Ikeo74
05-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Impossible to happen unless you are flinching because you are expecting more recoil from the self defense ammo. Try shooting again and don't close your eyes this time. IMO

muggsy
05-15-2015, 05:29 AM
Shooting low? Aim higher. Problem solved. :)

CJB
05-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Normal. High velocity ammo shoots low in handguns. Hatcher explains the physics in Hatchers Notebook, so I wont repeat it here.

muggsy
05-15-2015, 11:45 AM
The bullet won't impact that low at that distance. I think that it may be getting operator assistance. Either the sight picture is incorrect, or someone is anticipating recoil. The gun starts to recoil as soon as the bullet starts moving forward. Slower moving bullets reside in the barrel longer and thus shoot higher than fast moving bullets because muzzle rise is higher when the slower moving bullet exits the barrel. You might expect to see an inch or two of difference, but not 6". Me and Hatcher were buds. :)

jocko
05-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Shooting low? Aim higher. Problem solved. :)

AMEN TO THAT COMMENT: jUST SEE A TAD MORE OF THGE FRONT SITE,