PDA

View Full Version : PM series and nickle plated barrels

4T5Guy
07-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry about all the questions that I have so soon. I will try to answer some if I am able. Anyway, my P380 and PM45 both have nickled barrels, my PM9 does not. Why the plating,( which is wearing off in places ), on the two, and not on the one?

Ol'coot
07-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I would very surprised if your PM9's barrel is not plated, I have a PM9 and just last week returned the barrel for replacement because of flaking of the plating in the chamber.

4T5Guy
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
So I guess that now you are very surprised, because it is not nickle plated, period. Thank you for your response, I do appreciate your sole response. So does this mean that it is not the correct barrel for the PM9, any way to tell?

jocko
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
if your nickel is flaking off, return it to kahr they will replace your barrel. If it properly nickle plated, it will NOT WEAR off. It is far more corrosion resistant and more expensive to do and your PM9 Barrel is a lothar match grade polygonal rifled barrel and indeed it is nickle plated. I don't know how it could be the wrong barrel as the PM9 barrel to my knowledge fits no other kahr made. Not to say either that possably you got a barrel that was supposed to be nickle plated and was not done but I seriously doubt that to. If in doubt send it back to kahr . All kahr barrels to my knowledge are nickle plated from the cw series to the K series. Only certain models have the polygonal rifled barrels and the cw series kahrs do no but they are nickle plated..

Best advice I could give you is if the gun if working as it should and is totally reliable, then accept that it is nickle plated and just shoot it like you stole it..

4T5Guy
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you jocko. I may be new to this forum and Kahrs, but not new to firearms and more specifically handguns. I would not dream of separating my PM9 from its barrel. It was, and still is flawless. Like I stated before, it is more accurate, at the distance,(plus some more), that it was intended for, than any of my other 9MMs, and most of my .45s, period. But I must insist, the barrel is NOT nickle plated. Kinda my Kahr life. I ordered a PM4543, paid less for it than the PM9, and it turned out to be a PM4543N. The serial numbers on the box matched the frame, but there was no N anywhere on the box. I am not complaining, I love the night sights but was not going to pay the difference in price. You might say Kahr Karma. And no one can use my words, HAH.

deadhead1971
07-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Anyway, my P380 and PM45 both have nickled barrels, my PM9 does not. Why the plating,( which is wearing off in places ), on the two, and not on the one?

A riddle? ...hmmm :rolleyes: The answer is that the nickel plating should not flake. Maybe the "one" is not defective.

My first PM9 barrel flaked inside the chamber after about 500 rounds. Kahr replaced, and the new one has not flaked as of 1,770 rounds. I will say the 2nd PM9 barrel had a more dull finish than the first.

Have you seen this? http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/232-about-plating-coming-off-feed-ramp-chamber-pm9.html

4T5Guy
07-13-2010, 08:55 PM
No way, OR D.H. Steal Your Face on a Kahr forum? My original patch is in my copy of the Family Album. Ya it's got 13. Was givin to me after three days of Ken, (in a soccer uniform), Jerry, Bob, Mickey, Phil, et all trying to buy the farm in Veneta. Which we all did. Anyway, I think that you are right. As time and shooting are going by, the other two are wearing, but the PM9 is not, and it is darking somewhat. I am becoming convinced that you all are right. The other two look like the nickle on my 6.5 Swed Mauser rework by Kimber, and the S&W Mdl 10 racegun I made years ago and had sent out to be plated. Almost a grey, not the silvery color on the 9. I still do not have ANY other issues with my Kahrs. Thanks deadhead1971, hope you're more built to last, with a touch of grey, than old and in the way, HAH