PDA

View Full Version : trigger reset issue

Eagleeye
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
First off, I would like to say hi to everyone. This is my first post, as I have recently acquired a new p380. I am by no means new to firearms, just Kahr pistols. I am quite stumped with the issue I am having and welcome the abundant expertise of Kahrtalk members.

When dry firing my gun, I will often pull the trigger and then hold the trigger back, while racking the slide and then letting the trigger out to reset. (obvioulsy a commom practice of striker fired pistols.)

When doing this with the p380, about 1 in 10 times the trigger does not reset. (no noticeable click when letting the trigger ALL THE WAY OUT, and confirmed by looking in the mag well to see the stiker lug all the way forward).

The kicker, is that I have aprox. 300 rds through the gun and have never had a trigger reset issue during live fire. I'm sure most would agree however, that the gun should not know the difference between dry firing and live fire.

I thought for sure I was failing to replicate something that the pistol does during live fire. I checked to make 100% certain that I was vigorously racking the slide through it's full range and then making sure the slide went completly into battery before letting the trigger all the way out.

Even with doing all of the above, the trigger would not reset at times. I was really hoping I was not going to have to send the gun back. It has been breaking in nicely and I was excited to finally feel it was trustworthy for carry, but am now doubtful.

I called kahr and the gentlemen I talked to said that the gun is not like other guns such as Glock, etc. and that I need to let the trigger out all the way, BEFORE racking the slide while dry firing to allow the trigger to reset. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience with striker fired guns and having looked closely at the inner workings of the p380 causes me to completly disagree with the Kahr rep's statement. This made the situation further more frustrating.

Any insight to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bawanna
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I disagree with the Kahr rep also although the reset is basically all the way out. Also why I like to look things over pretty thoroughly before I send a gun back to the so called pros. Not to be confused with the real pros and Kahr has some of those for sure also. I've found that they put on their pants one leg at a time almost like a normal man or even in some cases woman.
You already did all the things I would have suspected as culprits, racking vigorously etc. Have you cleaned out the striker channel either by dissasembly or the pressurized cleaner via the clean out hole?
Could be some debri in there that might be slowing things down during a non firing cycle.

jocko
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
First off, I would like to say hi to everyone. This is my first post, as I have recently acquired a new p380. I am by no means new to firearms, just Kahr pistols. I am quite stumped with the issue I am having and welcome the abundant expertise of Kahrtalk members.

When dry firing my gun, I will often pull the trigger and then hold the trigger back, while racking the slide and then letting the trigger out to reset. (obvioulsy a commom practice of striker fired pistols.)

When doing this with the p380, about 1 in 10 times the trigger does not reset. (no noticeable click when letting the trigger ALL THE WAY OUT, and confirmed by looking in the mag well to see the stiker lug all the way forward).

The kicker, is that I have aprox. 300 rds through the gun and have never had a trigger reset issue during live fire. I'm sure most would agree however, that the gun should not know the difference between dry firing and live fire.

I thought for sure I was failing to replicate something that the pistol does during live fire. I checked to make 100% certain that I was vigorously racking the slide through it's full range and then making sure the slide went completly into battery before letting the trigger all the way out.

Even with doing all of the above, the trigger would not reset at times. I was really hoping I was not going to have to send the gun back. It has been breaking in nicely and I was excited to finally feel it was trustworthy for carry, but am now doubtful.

I called kahr and the gentlemen I talked to said that the gun is not like other guns such as Glock, etc. and that I need to let the trigger out all the way, BEFORE racking the slide while dry firing to allow the trigger to reset. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience with striker fired guns and having looked closely at the inner workings of the p380 causes me to completly disagree with the Kahr rep's statement. This made the situation further more frustrating.

Any insight to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

this much, my P380 I have to release the trigger at leat 3/8" in order for it to reset. Racking the slide and dry firing like you explained and not releasing the trigger, makes me again have to release the trigger at leat 3/8" to reset and fire again. Not sure what your issue is , or if you have an issue, but you must release up on that trigger some what to reset andI don't ust mean a tad either. All of my 3 kahrs work the same way as I just explained. You have no issue that I can see. You can dry fire practice by just plling the slide back about a 1/4" and it will reset the trigger for you, but you just cannot hold back on the trigger and get away with it. In firing, more than likely one doesnt realize he is releasing up on the trigger, but one is definitely doing it, with kahrs.

Ur ok IMO, so just shoot it like you stole it..

Jim K
07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Eagle eye,

Try this:

Remove the slide & barrel from the frame assembly. See if the cocking cam moves freely with good spring action. The sear on the cocking cam should return to the vertical position without prodding.

Next, pull the trigger all the way back. Actuate the cam that is in right side slide slot just above the blow away panel (It is part of the trigger bar). That cam should have spring action also. The cocking cam should return to vertical again without issue. That cam is what allows the cocking cam to return to vertical when the slide moves back.

I don't think your problem is normal to Kahr pistols. Maybe it could be fixed with a drop of oil.

Regards, Jim

Eagleeye
07-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, everyone, after posting this thread, I went and shot another 80 rounds through the gun, not one reset issue. I am still having the issue while dry firing.

Bawanna, I have not sprayed out the firing pin channel like u said, i will give that a try. Last I checked it seemed to be moving fairly smoothly.

Jim, I was thinking exactly what u were thinking and had actually put a drop of oil on the cam that sits in the right side of the frame before i posted today and that still did not help. As far as the function of both cams, both have good spring action and with the trigger back, I pushed down of the right side frame cam and that did set the cocking cam back to vertical.

In all of my years of shooting, this is one that I sure can't figure out.

Thanks for the suggestions

Jim K
07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Things that make you go "hmmm" If it shoots you can't complain too much. Maybe you can threaten it with a screwdriver? :) Let us know if you discover more on this.
Regards, Jim

JustinN
07-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I have had a similar issue on my P45....but I have found a difference when dry firing. If I yank the slide back, like it would in recoil, I do not have the problem. If I simply pull it back, sometimes it does not reset.....

Try that a few times....pull the trigger, hold, and slam it open like it would if it was fired and see if you can get it to not reset afterwards....

Like you mine has NEVER done it firing, and that is what made me experiment with it that way....