PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you can't get to the range?

340pd
06-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Ten days ago I had revision surgery (new socket liner) of a hip I had replaced 18 years ago. Recovery is going fine, but the Dragon Lady won't let me get out of the house until I have had my post-op staples (all 60 of them) removed.

Boredom to say the least.

E-gads, I have even been caught glancing at the Ellen show in the afternoon.

Really missing my RSO/instructor work.

Ideas needed.

JohnR
06-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Laserlyte trainer!

Higgy Baby
06-07-2015, 08:55 AM
"...E-gads, I have even been caught glancing at the Ellen show in the afternoon.." :ohmy:

Chunk the tv man!!!!!

Then get you a tin can and a bb gun. Sit out on the porch and make that can talk.

berettabone
06-07-2015, 09:29 AM
What else??????? Check all of your firearms, and make sure they're all spiffy, oiled and ready to go. If your like me, they already are, but check em again:)

kwh
06-07-2015, 10:14 AM
In addition to all of the advice above, go on line to see whats new: accessories,firearms,customize what you already have,polish any metal part that may or may not need it, see if you can find .22 LR for less than $30/brick. Just like women and their shoes,you can not have too many holsters, a lot of custom makers with no cost to look on line. Start reloading. Count all of Jocko's sheep. Keep busy. You don't want to go through post-op depression. Post any good deals. Post if Ellen has any good guests we need to know about. Post jokes.

340pd
06-07-2015, 10:29 AM
"...E-gads, I have even been caught glancing at the Ellen show in the afternoon.." :ohmy:

Chunk the tv man!!!!!

Then get you a tin can and a bb gun. Sit out on the porch and make that can talk.

I will admit, after one segment of the "ellen show" I considered a ballpeen hammer to the groin just to make me feel better.

Armybrat
06-07-2015, 10:33 AM
I'm not recommending this particular pastime, but:

A couple years prior to the turn of the last century in rural northwest Missouri, my Grandpa was bedridden for about a year with Rheumatic Fever. So for entertainment, my Great Grandpa bought him a new Winchester Model 1890 .22 pump to shoot out his bedroom window at a target range he set up on a fence. After a few months, Grandpa got pretty good with that little rifle.

However, his shooting was derailed for a while when Great Grandpa & Great Grandma returned home in the buckboard one afternoon after going into town for supplies, and caught little Gramps shooting a tin can off his sister's (Aunt Dessie) head out in the yard. Wish we still had that Winchester.

CJB
06-07-2015, 10:40 AM
You cannot over clean your firearms....

In fact, I suggest some nice Hoppe's #9 BENCHREST which is the extra potent (smelling) version. You might want to employ some PB Blaster to let the parts soak in a bit. And you'll certainly want to degrease before assembly with Gunk Engine Brite. Naturally, you'll need to spread some newspaper out on the kitchen table for all this to be done properly. Let 'em soak a good long while in each solution too.

If that don't cure Dragon Lady of her ways...... I pity you!

On a more happy note - I'm of firm belief that God created only two things that smell better than those three products mentioned above. Those being a freshly washed adult (human) female crotch, and fresh cut black walnut. The walnut wins out over the crotch btw.

leftysixty
06-07-2015, 10:45 AM
You can always dry fire practice! NO AMMO, of course!

Higgy Baby
06-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Ideas needed[/SIZE]....

You have internet?......go to Walmart and get you a Roku or Chromecast .....subscribe to Netflix and watch old tv shows without commercials or BS. I have watched every Star Trek, Magnum PI, Cheers, Frasier, and a few others. I am currently half way through Mash. I was working shifts back when it first ran. Many of these shows are fun to watch....especially at your own leisure and time.

mr surveyor
06-07-2015, 12:54 PM
reload

kenemoore
06-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Get an old gnarly stick, and a dull pocket knife, carve chess pieces or gnomes that look like you wife's relatives.
On a serious note, I was in the Navy for two hitches, a good book is a wonderful thing.
Passed many a long empty time, with a good book.

I always bought 6-8 paperbacks for each deployment (space is limited) then trade with others as I read them. By the time we were coming home, they would be covered in Duct tape, and hopefully still had all the pages, missing the last few pages was a story killer. I'm still an avid reader, hardly ever watch the boob tube. I have a kindle and can borrow e-books from the library without leaving home, and I never have to remember to take them back. Might be worth looking into.

340pd
06-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I do have Netflix.
I am reloaded to the point I could start and finish a small war with any caliber you choose.
My guns are all spotless
I have absolutely mo pain in my hip. I am walking with light cane over an hour per day, drawing and holding my bow, lifting light weights, etc.

I am trapped in the house because the Dragon Lady is hung up on keeping me safe and healthy because I really don't have any life insurance.

Guess I will count the hours until Friday at 9:00 AM when I think the doc will set me free.

downtownv
06-07-2015, 03:58 PM
How's Ellen's Melon smellin?

GROTMAN
06-07-2015, 04:18 PM
You can experiment making a holster that will hold all your carry guns ..:)
http://i.imgur.com/mq53Zvz.jpg

ltxi
06-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Shoot .22 CB Shorts in the basement.

340pd
06-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, but after two weeks I have eliminated the need for crutches and cane. Saw the doc yesterday and am cleared for driving and only light restrictions on my job as RSO and instructor.

Unfortunately, one of those restrictions is not bending over far enough to pick up my spent brass. Time to holster up the revolvers when I practice for another couple of months.

I have forgotten what a loaded S&W 625JM weighs.

ltxi
06-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Glad to see ya' back in at least LD action!

Bawanna
06-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Your the RSO Instructor, can't you just order the mere mortals to pickup your brass for ya.

Hell I'd pick it up for ya.

yqtszhj
06-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Go by home depot and get one of those long grab thingys so you dont have go bend over to pick up the brass then shoot whatever you want.

340pd
06-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Actually, we have one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Ammo-Wizard-Picker-Pecans-Retractable/dp/B007QVUGGO) and it works great. In all seriousness, I have no problem getting all the brass I want. I just need an excuse to give the wheelguns a bit of exercise.

Barth
06-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Snap caps and dry fire.
Daytime TV is a target rich environment - LOL!

Barth