PDA

View Full Version : Proper handling of Kahr magazines

john
06-08-2015, 04:19 PM
I have heard from more than one new Kahr owner recently reporting that they had issues inserting loaded magazines into their pistol, and/or that the top round tended to move forward when being carried in the pocket. I thought it might be worth a short post on this given my many years of owning, shooting, and carrying Kahr pistols--and consequently carrying loaded magazines. In my experience Kahr magazines tend to hold the top round more loosely than what some shooters expect. This is in part due to the steep feed angle at which the top round sits to be the first fed into the chamber. This is not a problem so long as a shooter makes sure the round is fully seated back into the magazine. In my experience the 9mm magazines hold their top rounds a little more loosely than other calibers. I suspect the taper of the case versus its diameter has something to do with that, but this is pure speculation.

If the magazine is moved around a lot before being inserted into the gun (such as during pocket carry) the top round may creep forward over time. Eventually it may even work loose. I have washed many an extra round in my laundry due to this. I tend to check my mags periodically when carrying and just push the top round back if it is loose. Using a magazine carrier entirely eliminates the issue. I have also found tighter pockets work, or just stacking a few mags together so they don't move around. The magazine/cell phone pocket in 5.11 pants is great for this, holding multiple mags in a tight vertical orientation.

If the top round is allowed to move too far forward and not pushed back, it can block inserting the magazine into the gun. Again, keep the round seated back and this won't happen. When training you should be checking your mags after loading them no matter what the platform, pistol, rifle, or shotgun regardless of any brand.

I know this is a repeat for most members, but it never hurts to remind new Kahr owners. I have carried Kahr pistols as my primary CCW for years now, and nearly always had spare magazines in my pocket. I never had a problem inserting a magazine into a gun due to the top round moving forward. Just follow some simple precautions and you will be fine. Check your gear now and then no matter what brand/model of pistol you carry. It is a good habit that every defensive shooter should develop!

downtownv
06-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Good advice, Call it "Kahr tips for Dummies" and it would be a runaway seller....:hurt:

b4uqzme
06-08-2015, 09:30 PM
I'll just add that I've heard some complain about the way Kahr magazines look/fit at the baseplate. But that design also allows them to pocket carry very well. I'll take the function over the form any day.

ripley16
06-09-2015, 05:38 AM
IMHO the mag design, both top and bottom, has long needed a re-do. Is it that hard to make a few improvements that the majority of owners recognize as beneficial and useful. My Triple K mags work just as well or better than the Kahr mags. This should not be.

I'll also add that cost should not be the only factor. I may pay two and three times more for premium brand mags than I do for the normal Kahr mags. Expensive, yes, but they work. If a Kahr mag that works costs $40, then so be it. Killeen Machine is nearby and makes an excellent magazine. Kahr should try them.

CPTKILLER
06-09-2015, 08:13 AM
My MK9 is very reliable and doesn't need babying.

hardluk1
06-09-2015, 09:14 AM
I have a cm9 , cw9 , well daughter has it now and a tp40. That's the newer one at about 5 years old . Mags get dropped mainly in my left front pocket upside down all by them selves . 9 years of CC'n one kahr or the other and always the mags carried the same way and never had a bullet try to sneak out of the mag even the slightest bit . Never had a problem with any thing kahr related . These pistols and mags have been as reliable as any other handgun I have .

b4uqzme
06-09-2015, 09:20 AM
I have a cm9 , cw9 , well daughter has it now and a tp40. That's the newer one at about 5 years old . Mags get dropped mainly in my left front pocket upside down all by them selves . 9 years of CC'n one kahr or the other and always the mags carried the same way and never had a bullet try to sneak out of the mag even the slightest bit . Never had a problem with any thing kahr related . These pistols and mags have been as reliable as any other handgun I have .

+1.

berettabone
06-09-2015, 09:34 AM
My top round usually sneaks a bit forward, but has never come out. I usually check it after/during carry and just give the mag a little tap, to seat the rounds. Yeah, I said a little tap:)