PDA

View Full Version : Safety Warning

muggsy
06-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Brings new meaning to the words hot pants!

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

Higgy Baby
06-13-2015, 08:06 AM
Glock-butt?

berettabone
06-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Once again, the block rears it's ugly head.............................................. ..

CPTKILLER
06-13-2015, 09:18 AM
I have one that therefore needs to go for my MK9.

Longitude Zero
06-13-2015, 09:46 AM
ND's have been known to happen with EVERY style firearm made. it is idiocy to think that only one brand can have this occur.

Bawanna
06-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Speaking on behalf of idiots worldwide I endorse LZ's profound statement above. Could happen to anyone.

wyntrout
06-13-2015, 10:11 AM
That was a few years ago, but something to think about... especially with you guys jamming soft holsters into your tight jean pockets!

I'll stick with my Kydex-hybrids IWB on my hip. I do use an old, soft and well used... or ill used... Uncle Mike's Sidekick for IWB in drawstring shorts... no belt... so that the holster will stay behind when I draw. I have to be careful reholstering my P380, but I'm mindful of the possiblities, so I usually take the holster off to put the pistol back in it. But then, it's a Kahr... with a nice long trigger pull... not a Glock.

Wynn :)

Ikeo74
06-13-2015, 11:15 AM
I thought this was an old story. I remembered the picture of the holster. So I went back to the story in the link, it was March 21, 2011. Funny how some things remain vivid in your mind.

wyntrout
06-13-2015, 01:14 PM
I didn't look it up, but it seems like it was in Florida, too. It was at the bottom of the first photo... "by The ITS Crew (http://www.itstactical.com/author/admin/) March 21, 2011"

Longitude Zero
06-13-2015, 02:15 PM
That was a few years ago, but something to think about... especially with you guys jamming soft holsters in your tight jean pocket.

A prime reason to ALWAYS use a holster. Pocket carry is for the uneducated to help teach others when they have an ND.

Barth
06-13-2015, 05:51 PM
All my holsters must completely cover the trigger.

Nimrod
06-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Accidents happen. Most are preventable. Start with good carry gear and check regularly to insure it remains in good condition. Just use common sense.

Alfonse
06-13-2015, 07:10 PM
A prime reason to ALWAYS use a holster. Pocket carry is for the uneducated to help teach others when they have an ND.

He was not pocket carrying.

ltxi
06-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Speaking on behalf of idiots worldwide I endorse LZ's profound statement above. Could happen to anyone.

Not to me. Don't carry Safe Action...not...Glocks nor do I use worn out holsters. The one ND I came close to havin' back in the mid-70's didn't happen through pure dumb luck. If it had it woulda been fatal and I wouldn't be writin' this now. Learned from that, I did.

Now, having said that, I guess I be screwed. Goin' to the grocery store tomorrow and be dreading the karma fireworks display...:(

Barth
06-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Not to me. Don't carry Safe Action...not...Glocks nor do I use worn out holsters. The one ND I came close to havin' back in the mid-70's didn't happen through pure dumb luck. If it had it woulda been fatal and I wouldn't be writin' this now. Learned from that, I did.

Now, having said that, I guess I be screwed. Goin' to the grocery store tomorrow and be dreading the karma fireworks display...:(

Major Jinx my friend - LOL!
All my holsters completely cover the trigger.
I only own a few striker guns.
And I thumb the hammer on the rest while holstering.

Still, can I make a mistake?
You bet I can.

Barth:rolleyes:

340pd
06-14-2015, 07:28 AM
ND's have been known to happen with EVERY style firearm made. it is idiocy to think that only one brand can have this occur.

True to a point, but as a Glock owner, RSO and instructor, I tend to think the Glock safety system is far more susceptible to ND's that most other semi auto firearms. Not due to the Glock system itself, but it seems to make it much easier for the careless or hurried user to experience a surprise bang.

I can back that up big time but it would jeopardize my employment if I went further.

Based on what I have personally seen, I would never consider carrying a G42 or G43.

berettabone
06-14-2015, 10:27 AM
True to a point, but as a Glock owner, RSO and instructor, I tend to think the Glock safety system is far more susceptible to ND's that most other semi auto firearms. Not due to the Glock system itself, but it seems to make it much easier for the careless or hurried user to experience a surprise bang.

I can back that up big time but it would jeopardize my employment if I went further.

Based on what I have personally seen, I would never consider carrying a G42 or G43.
Thank you very much. Been shooting for over 40+years. Never had an accidental discharge. For those who say it can happen to anyone, horse hockey. Block's are more susceptible than most firearms. Quit defending the captain obvious.http://www.kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Longitude Zero
06-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Thank you very much. Been shooting for over 40+years. Never had an accidental discharge. For those who say it can happen to anyone, horse hockey. Block's are more susceptible than most firearms. Quit defending the captain obvious.http://www.kahrtalk.com/images/icons/icon6.png

For those that think they are immune to ND's all intelligent shooters call horse puckey. There are only 2 types of shooters, those that have had an ND and those that will one day if they live long enough. Even Col Cooper admits to ND's in his lifetime and he is far more a shooter then EVERYBODY on this page combined.

Longitude Zero
06-14-2015, 10:35 AM

For a "true Glock owner" the model should make no difference to an ND. The G42 and G43 are just as susceptible to an ND as ALL other Glock models. It is the same operating system. You have proved my point it is NOT the weapon but the operator. Therefore ALL weapons are prone or not prone to ND's. I too am and NRA Certified RSO and LEO FA Instructor and I have seen 1911's ND far more than all other weapons combined. However that would never stop me from continuing to carry 1911's.

Planedude
06-14-2015, 11:16 AM
My story goes back many moons ago when I carried my 1911 in a small of the back holster. Back then, I had a "dismount" ritual of drawing the gun carefully and setting it down on a dresser top pointed in a "safer-than-most-if-it-discharged" direction before struggling to remove the holster from the pants.
On that day, once I had the holster free, I picked the gun to reholster and I found the safety was off. I have no doubt that I spent considerable amount of time that day walking "cocked but unlocked" with muzzle of that 45 pressed against my left butt cheek. My wife loves my butt and I am glad I didn't have an "add an a$$hole" moment in the pants that day...
I am grateful to John Moses for the design of the 1911's grip safety and to the unknown assembly line gunsmith at Springfield Armory for his fit and adjustment of the same on my pistol. I also don't carry 1911's SOB any more and when I do carry a .45, I tend to lightly touch the safety in the holster when I can to be sure it is still engaged. That said, with all my choices of carry options today, I very seldom haul a hefty 1911 around town. I do remain convinced that on that day, it was the holster's fault that the safety was off and that cheap fabric/leather piece went in the trash. It did cover the trigger good though...

340pd
06-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I chose those two models (G42,G43) in particular because I believe they will eventually become the MOST often pocket, purse, or iwb Glocks.

Smaller guns tend to get jammed in places they ought not be stuffed. The amount of trigger travel needed to fire the gun is what I concern myself with. I would also include the S&W Shield with no safety in that category. I own and carry a G19 on a regular basis along with a Shield w/safety.

I competed in bullseye matches and carried a 1911 of one make or another for nearly 30 years. I can tell you I have seen more ND's from Glocks in one year than all the time I have been shooting other firearms of any manufacture in my lifetime. These are from trained LE and instructors. 95% of them involved field stripping of the firearm for cleaning or maintenance or re-holstering in haste. Getting the picture?

Yea, I know it is not the arrow, it is the indian, but.....................

I am not saying all guns cannot be involved in a ND. I AM saying Glocks tend have a lot of them.

The only argument I will listen to is the shear number of Glocks used in LE vs other brands.

marcinstl
06-14-2015, 12:12 PM
here's a story about a guy who needed all 17 rounds and only got one-- http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article23142330.html
bad ammo, limp wristed the first shot, gun malfunction, who knows. the semi-auto let him down. my opinion-- untrained, untested civilians are better off with a revolver.
(and who the hell opens the door without knowing what's on the other side, WTF!?)

wyntrout
06-14-2015, 12:24 PM
I think that too many people buy a weapon, load it... possibly with the cheapest ammo they can get and think they're ready for anything coming their way.

Only use reputable factory ammo, especially for defensive purposes, and go to a range and test the pistol with the chosen ammo and make sure that it works well in the pistol. Learn how to shoot and clear malfunctions quickly. Your partner should learn, too! Gun safety and gun handling are learned and must be practiced at all times.

We don't know the whole story, but a lot of things can happen in the "heat of battle" and Murphy is always ready to "help" you.

Wynn

SlowBurn
06-14-2015, 12:57 PM
The only argument I will listen to is the shear number of Glocks used in LE vs other brands.

My theory is that's part of the reason. But also other pistols are more likely to be selected by "aficionados," who take a more active interest in shooting and in their guns. There are plenty of Glock owners who are afficionados, but there are also many who are not.

Q: If someone like a cop needs a handgun for work or some other practical reason, has no real interest in it, and just wants it to work even if its somewhat neglected, what would you predict they are they most likely to buy? The question practically answers itself. But I think those people are also less likely to train regularly, to learn and ingrain safety habits so they are second nature, and more likely when they do use their guns to experience an unintentional discharge.

I don't have a problem with people like that owning a gun. I think the more normal people who own guns the better off we are. BUT (and here's where I'm going to get yelled at) I think casual owners like that should NOT carry a round in the chamber.

muggsy
06-14-2015, 01:28 PM
My point wasn't to condemn Glock pistols. My point was to illustrate how an ND can occur to the safest of people. This guy should have looked his pistol into it's holster and he should have replaced the holster when it became worn. I've never experienced an ND with any type of firearm, but then again I'm not your every day kind of fool. I'm somewhat of a special kind of fool. No foolin'. :)

pwilson
06-14-2015, 02:04 PM
I think the more normal people who own guns the better off we are. BUT (and here's where I'm going to get yelled at) I think casual owners like that should NOT carry a round in the chamber.

thats part of the reason i dont carry with one in the chamber, i use a versi carry and it only covers one side of the trigger

Longitude Zero
06-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Self limiting your response eh. Since Glocks are the predominate weapon in LE usage then statistically it is obvious they will have the largest number of ND's that is obvious common sense and nothing more. When biased against the number in service vs ND's the ONLY reason they have the highest number is their proliferation and NOT the operating system.

Longitude Zero
06-14-2015, 02:50 PM
My point wasn't to condemn Glock pistols. My point was to illustrate how an ND can occur to the safest of people.

Agreed here. If someone is arrogant/uneducated to say that an ND can never happen to them well I feel sorry for them. When it comes to ND's there are only two kinds of shooters....

Planedude
06-14-2015, 02:50 PM
As this story shows, it ain't just Glocks...

Cut and pasted from elsewhere.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The number of accidental shootings by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies has more than doubled in two years as the department switches to a new handgun.
There were 12 accidental discharges of weapons in 2012 and 30 last year — most of which involved the new gun, the Los Angeles Times reported (http://lat.ms/1TkMK4O).
In October, a deputy tripped over a stroller and fired a bullet through the wall of a house in Huntington Park. Last November, a deputy in Lancaster shot himself in the thigh while pulling his gun. In December, a deputy in Compton accidentally pulled the trigger on his gun as he approached a suspected stolen car and a bullet hit the door. Nobody was in the car, however.
The inspector general of the Sheriff's Department is investigating the increase in accidental firings. But sheriff's officials attribute the increase to the learning curve for the new weapon, the Smith & Wesson M&P9.
The semi-automatic gun is made from a lightweight polymer, doesn't have a safety lever and requires less pressure to pull the trigger than the Beretta 92F, a heavier gun the department has used for two decades.
"The vast majority were people trained on the Beretta," Assistant Sheriff Todd Rogers said. "There is a correlation, no doubt about it."
About half of sworn personnel now use the Smith & Wesson.
So far, there have been seven accidents this year, and five have involved the new gun.
Officials said they expect the number of accidental firings to fall off as deputies become used to the weapon. The department also has imposed extra training requirements.
The switch was prompted, in part, by the threat of a lawsuit by women who had failed the Sheriff's Academy, the Times said.
Because of its easier pull, the Smith & Wesson is easier to shoot accurately and its hand grip comes in three sizes, making it easier to use for people with small hands.

With the advent of the new weapon, deputies are obtaining better scores at the firing range and more recruits are passing the firearms test. The percentage of women recruits who failed that test has fallen from 6.4 percent to less than 1 percent, the Times said.
The Los Angeles Police Department has used a similar gun, a Glock, since 2005. It recently began issuing M&Ps, said Lt. Dana Berns, who heads the firearms and tactics section. No problems are expected because of the similarities of the weapons, he said.

[end article]

So the M&P manages to be better and worse at the same time. Where you think the good/bad line most likely depends your personal firearms preference. I do agree with the article that shows the increase in ND's is a Training issue and that gun ergonomics is super important for newer/smaller shooters.
Peace

muggsy
06-14-2015, 05:08 PM
BUT (and here's where I'm going to get yelled at) I think casual owners like that should NOT carry a round in the chamber.

I won't yell at you but I will say this. There is no such thing as a casual gun owners. There are only responsible and irresponsible gun owners. Carrying a gun for self-defense with an empty chamber is like not carrying a gun at all. A self defense weapon should be at the ready at all time. You may not have the time to chamber a round and/or the gun might jamb while you are trying to chamber a round. On two occasions I've seen someone experience a ND when chambering a round because these individuals had their index finger on the trigger. One was an embarrassment and the other lead to a trip to the hospital for a bystander. There has to be a round in the chamber before you can put the gun into action. If you aren't well trained or responsible enough to carry a fully loaded gun then don't carry a gun at all.

berettabone
06-14-2015, 07:18 PM
For those that think they are immune to ND's all intelligent shooters call horse puckey. There are only 2 types of shooters, those that have had an ND and those that will one day if they live long enough. Even Col Cooper admits to ND's in his lifetime and he is far more a shooter then EVERYBODY on this page combined.

Then I guess I'll be the first....................I can count numerous people that I know/knew, that NEVER had an ND, never. Must not be as odd as you think.....................................look at Muggs............

Bawanna
06-14-2015, 07:39 PM
I think the point is it may not have happened yet, but as long as your still drawing air into your lungs and have a heartbeat it could still happen at any time to the best of us.

And to the pro's who handle and shoot 100 times more often than normal, even though they are as proficient as they can get, it can still happen.

It's no unmanly, not girly man, it just happens.

Jeff Cooper had his, shot his power meter with an empty gun, his friends had it bronzed.

I had mine but we're not gonna talk about that and it don't mean it can't happen again neither. Hopefully it won't and I sure don't plan on anymore but it could happen.

I've had 3 very close calls at work where officers left a gun for me to clean or work on. No mag, round in the chamber.
2 on Beretta's, one on a Glock. When you safety check, rack the slide and a cartridge goes flying across the room it's a heart stopper, border line on life changing ya know.

Be safe.

muggsy
06-15-2015, 05:16 AM
I think the point is it may not have happened yet, but as long as your still drawing air into your lungs and have a heartbeat it could still happen at any time to the best of us.

And to the pro's who handle and shoot 100 times more often than normal, even though they are as proficient as they can get, it can still happen.

It's no unmanly, not girly man, it just happens.

Jeff Cooper had his, shot his power meter with an empty gun, his friends had it bronzed.

I had mine but we're not gonna talk about that and it don't mean it can't happen again neither. Hopefully it won't and I sure don't plan on anymore but it could happen.

I've had 3 very close calls at work where officers left a gun for me to clean or work on. No mag, round in the chamber.
2 on Beretta's, one on a Glock. When you safety check, rack the slide and a cartridge goes flying across the room it's a heart stopper, border line on life changing ya know.

Be safe.

+1 Bawanna, I'm still waiting for my first ND to happen. I'm hoping that all it hurts is my ears and my pride.

b4uqzme
06-15-2015, 05:49 AM

Be safe.

My BIL, Mr. Teacup Limpwrister has an awful habit of not clearing the chamber when he's done shooting. He gave me a .22 rifle and scope to sight in and, when I checked, sure enough it was loaded. If everyone is an ND waiting to happen, I figure he's first. ;)

marcinstl
06-15-2015, 08:42 AM
anybody who is a student of defensive carry and shooting has seen the Israeli training films on youtube- as per the rules from above, everybody carries condition 3 and part of the fast draw is chambering a round. they practice and they are fast.
here's a picture of a DA revolver in a holster. see the grip and the trigger? you can get a full grip on the gun , release the thumb break and draw. notice that this is a fitted("boned") holster, the cylinder will not turn and the hammer can not be cocked. safe and used by many for 100 years. similar holsters are made for the 1911 (cocked with retention strap under the hammer, and locked).
how do I carry a striker fired single action pistol? unloaded and in a lined plastic box, to and from the range.

leftysixty
06-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Bottom Line--CHECK YOUR GEAR EVERYTIME YOU GO TO USE IT

IT AIN'T THE GUNS FAULT!!

RonW
06-15-2015, 09:32 AM
How would you bring this up to your auto insurance company? That has to be a humbling experience!

Nimrod
06-15-2015, 09:50 AM
I've never seen an Israeli training film but I carry every day with a striker fired pistol (MK40) and I carry with a full mag and one in the chamber. Personally I don't know anyone who carries with an empty chamber. I just pray that if the need arises that I can draw my gun in time to use it. Asking the bad guy to wait while I rack a cartridge into the chamber is a little too much. No matter how fast I can draw, rack, and fire, I can draw and fire faster.

To each his own.

Bawanna
06-15-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm with Nimrod. If I can't carry ready to go, I best find something else to carry.

The Israeli's ain't carrying PM9's or small compact pistols. If a guns prone to jam, that will be when it happens.

When you meet the elephant eye to eye, add a gallon of adrenaline, you'll be lucky to work the trigger let alone load the thing.

Longitude Zero
06-15-2015, 11:00 AM
it ain't the guns fault!!

Exactly!!!

Barth
06-15-2015, 08:33 PM
IMHO - carrying with an empty chamber is asking to be shot.

Coppertop
06-15-2015, 09:00 PM

Pocket carry is just as safe as any other carry method. As with any other carry method, it does require the proper holster but I wouldn't say it is for the uneducated.

I've seen seasoned shooters as well as first-time shooters accidentally discharge their weapon. Sometimes while holstering. Biggest risk is complacency, being in a rush or assuming everything is seated correctly.

It can happen to anyone and I'm glad this person only receive minor injuries.

340pd
06-16-2015, 08:10 AM
S&W M&P pistols join the discussion.

http://news.yahoo.com/gun-blamed-rise-la-county-deputy-shootings-174044276.html

SlowBurn
06-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Pocket carry is just as safe as any other carry method. As with any other carry method, it does require the proper holster but I wouldn't say it is for the uneducated.

+1. Pocket carry is safe if done correctly - 1)With a proper pocket holster. 2)Nothing else in that pocket. 3)To re-holster, take the holster out of the pocket first.

SlowBurn
06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm with Nimrod. If I can't carry ready to go, I best find something else to carry.

The Israeli's ain't carrying PM9's or small compact pistols. If a guns prone to jam, that will be when it happens.

When you meet the elephant eye to eye, add a gallon of adrenaline, you'll be lucky to work the trigger let alone load the thing.

This is an endless discussion. I'll just say there's 2 sides to it. IMO, some people should not carry with the chamber loaded and I don't agree that means they shouldn't carry at all. Everyone needs to look at their own situation and circumstances realistically and decide.
We did start off discussing why Glocks often seem to be involved when we hear about an unintentional discharge. I think one factor is Glock is a natural choice for many who have need to carry but aren't especially into it. I believe it would be more responsible for many of them to carry with the chamber empty. I also think the reason many carry with the chamber loaded is that more serious handgunners tell them they're "supposed to." It might be safer for everybody if serious handgunners were a little less dogmatic about what other people should do.

As Nimrod says, to each his own.

Bawanna
06-16-2015, 01:44 PM
I totally agree. I do think that folks that decide to carry should make an effort to become proficient and to me that doesn't require signing up for classes.

It's similar to how many gun guy so called experts fix up their wives.
Usually inferior guns in inferior calibers rather than giving them time to become a bit proficient and then carrying a real gun.

Glocks specifically are generally pretty easy to rack the slide, and sloppy enough that they feed easily so a person given enough time and with lots of practice might survive an empty chamber.
And your right there are many who should carry with an empty chamber, most shouldn't be carrying at all.

It doesn't work for me, life comes at you fast. Most police officers wearing their guns in a very quick to action holster are killed before they even get a shot off. The bad guys have a plan, everybody else has to calculate in reaction time. Loading your gun during that very short period usually doesn't fare well.

Myself, I try to stay situational aware and if things are hinky I'm not gonna play quick draw McGraw, I'm gonna get the gun in my hand and hope I'm wrong about my spidy senses. Even then the bad guy has the advantage.

Clint Eastwood in one of his movies said it best. Man's just gotta know his limitations.

Longitude Zero
06-16-2015, 02:28 PM
"Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

berettabone
06-16-2015, 03:16 PM
This is an endless discussion. I'll just say there's 2 sides to it. IMO, some people should not carry with the chamber loaded and I don't agree that means they shouldn't carry at all. Everyone needs to look at their own situation and circumstances realistically and decide.
We did start off discussing why Glocks often seem to be involved when we hear about an unintentional discharge. I think one factor is Glock is a natural choice for many who have need to carry but aren't especially into it. I believe it would be more responsible for many of them to carry with the chamber empty. I also think the reason many carry with the chamber loaded is that more serious handgunners tell them they're "supposed to." It might be safer for everybody if serious handgunners were a little less dogmatic about what other people should do.

As Nimrod says, to each his own.
Isn't that a scary situation.............." Glock is a natural choice for many who have need to carry, but aren't especially in to it". Which brings us back to the original start of the post. All I ever hear is, " they ain't pretty, but they go bang every time". If there are a whole bunch of people out there, who aren't really in to it, walking around with Glock's, then they're in trouble, and we're in trouble. Those type of people need to be carrying either a 1911, or a DA/SA firearm with a safety. In trained hands, it's a good firearm, in nonchalant hands, bad news. JMHO.

b4uqzme
06-16-2015, 04:17 PM
^^^ It's kinda like all things nowadays. All too often people don't take responsibility for themselves. I think everyone should carry. I also think everyone should be responsible enough to become proficient. There's no room for "nonchalance" in firearms.

340pd
06-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Isn't that a scary situation.............." Glock is a natural choice for many who have need to carry, but aren't especially in to it". Which brings us back to the original start of the post. All I ever hear is, " they ain't pretty, but they go bang every time". If there are a whole bunch of people out there, who aren't really in to it, walking around with Glock's, then they're in trouble, and we're in trouble. Those type of people need to be carrying either a 1911, or a DA/SA firearm with a safety. In trained hands, it's a good firearm, in nonchalant hands, bad news. JMHO.

A flipping plus dead on.

muggsy
06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
thats part of the reason i dont carry with one in the chamber, i use a versi carry and it only covers one side of the trigger

The Versi carry holsters is the worst way of carrying a gun. You're carrying a gun with an empty chamber and a built in bore obstruction. I'd trash that thing and buy a real holster. Just my humble opinion. :)

berettabone
06-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Don't like to carry with one in the chamber??????????????? Throw the gun away, save money on ammo, and get a big stick..............at least if they see you with a big stick, you MIGHT have a chance................

getsome
06-17-2015, 03:33 PM

Agree, that pretty much covers it....I think there are guns to pocket carry safely and those that shouldn't be and the Glock 42 and 43 are both in the unsafe category due to the very short easy trigger pull with no safety.... I recently bought a new style LCP and the pull on it is IMHO way to short and easy to pull compared to the old style which was way longer and stiffer....I sold the LCP for that reason and bought a Sig 290rs which has a long Kahr like pull just not as smooth....I also pocket carry a J frame 642 and feel safe with both pistols as it would be pretty difficult to have a ND pulling either pistol from a holster...

I have only had one incident where a ND could have happened but didn't because I've learned to keep my booger hook off the bang stick until ready to fire the pistol....My son had just finished cleaning his 1911 and handed it to me and said "feel how slick that slide is"....I racked the slide and it didn't stay back so I dropped the magazine and saw it was loaded and realized I had just racked a live round into the gun....I got mad at him for handing me a loaded gun and not telling me but got even madder at myself for not press checking it before racking the slide....Mistakes happen but in that case it didn't because I know not to put a finger on the trigger and some new gun owners can't seem to keep their fingers off the damn thing....

b4uqzme
06-17-2015, 04:45 PM
^^^^ that's why there are more than one rule(s) of firearm safety. So if you mess one up, hopefully the others save your a$$. :)

Bawanna
06-17-2015, 04:48 PM
New gun owners and broken down carpenters used to pneumatic nail guns. Took me a long long time break myself of the habit of grabbing that trigger the minute I pick the gun up.

I think I'm finally cured but still watch myself closely. Sadly now I can't run a nail gun for squat but don't run em much now days anyhow.

ltxi
06-17-2015, 06:01 PM
New gun owners and broken down carpenters used to pneumatic nail guns. Took me a long long time break myself of the habit of grabbing that trigger the minute I pick the gun up.

I think I'm finally cured but still watch myself closely. Sadly now I can't run a nail gun for squat but don't run em much now days anyhow.

Now I gots a picture of you in my head....California, wheelchair, holstered battery powered nail gun on the right side. CA legal open carry at it's finest.

Woulda said "vision" but it just felt too girlie.

Bawanna
06-17-2015, 07:26 PM
Well thanks for that, girly in my description would be awkward. Any other application is ok.

muggsy
06-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Do you know the definition of a farmer, Bawanna? He a man outstanding in his field. I'd say that definition applies to you. Carry on. :)

Bawanna
06-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah pretty much but in a sitting sort of way.

OldLincoln
06-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Interesting reading this thread as it's pretty much the same as a prior thread on the same picture years ago. The point has to be made is that this incident was caused by a wrinkle in the leather actually pulling the trigger and that ALL guns that fire with just a trigger pull in a soft holster could be at risk. I have been shamed on Glocktalk but suggesting it has no safety ("IT HAS A TRIGGER SAFETY!!!!). Yeah right, so does every gun as long as you don't pull the trigger. If you think Kahr is safer because it has a stiff and long pull, picture how you would casually holster said gun even if there was a tad resistance.

This guy could have kept quiet about the whole thing (I woulda) but I'm proud of him for the caution it caused as seen in this a many other threads.

Longitude Zero
06-18-2015, 10:46 AM
The Versi carry holsters is the worst way of carrying a gun. You're carrying a gun with an empty chamber and a built in bore obstruction. I'd trash that thing and buy a real holster. Just my humble opinion. :)

Precisely. Not to mention those holsters quality control is one slight step sideways from torro caca.