PDA

View Full Version : CW series parts upgrade?

RonW
06-15-2015, 10:51 AM
I have a CW40 and while online at kahrarms.com I was comparing the P series to the CW series and noting the differences, which isnt much. I was thinking about ordering at least the Machined slide lock pin for the P40 & replacing the MIM one on my CW thinking that may provide more strenght & longevity of the part. Not that I have any noticable wear on it anyway. I was also entertaining the idea of ordering the replacment barrel for the P since it is a polygonal barrrel & replacing it with the CW barrel. To the best of my understanding, they will interchange no problem... The reason why I would consider changing a perfectly fine CW barrel for the polygonal barrel is because I recently started using my CW40 in weekly local IDPA matches, in which it does very well in...

Thoughts?

Bawanna
06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
It's your gun and your free to do what you feel works best for you.

Personally I think it's a waste of your money myself. You won't gain much with the polygonal barrel other than it's slightly easier to clean. If you ever shoot lead, you want the CW barrel anyhow.

I believe the pin on the slide lock pin is a two part afair and only the lever itself is MIM so very little gain there either.

I don't mean to disparage or be negative, as a neutral observer it just doesn't add up for me but again maybe you have some other reasons.

tom.p
06-15-2015, 12:08 PM
You are correct that you can swap the P/CW barrels. If you go to the website and look at accessory barrels, they have a ported barrel that fits both the P40 and CW40. In fact, I checked the CW9 and P9 stock replacement barrels, and they're the same price...so maybe if you ordered the CW replacement barrel, it would be the same polygonal P40 barrel? I know others have upgraded their slide stop from the P series, so I think you're fine there, too. Though that's mainly for looks, maybe to reduce snag possibility on drawing from holster.
However, I agree with Bawanna that's it's a waste of money. If you really want to upgrade, I'd say trade in your CW and buy a P40 for a little bit more than you'd be paying for parts.

GA_Sheepdog
06-15-2015, 01:19 PM
I was in in the same boat when I bought my cw 45/380. I upgraded the sights on my cw45 to a night sight and that's the only part I would change out. If you calculate what you paid for your cw and all the parts (night sights, polygonal barrel and slide release) you'd pretty much be better off just buying a P model in the first place. You'd have invested the same if not slightly more money just to have a "plain" looking P model. If I buy another Kahr, I think I'll save up and just get the premium model if I want all the bells and whistles.

RonW
06-15-2015, 07:48 PM
I appreciate the input guys, thx. Overall I'm happy with how the pistol is from the factory, I may replace the front sight for a night sight soon.

zulu
07-06-2015, 06:02 PM
You are correct that you can swap the P/CW barrels. If you go to the website and look at accessory barrels, they have a ported barrel that fits both the P40 and CW40. In fact, I checked the CW9 and P9 stock replacement barrels, and they're the same price...so maybe if you ordered the CW replacement barrel, it would be the same polygonal P40 barrel? I know others have upgraded their slide stop from the P series, so I think you're fine there, too. Though that's mainly for looks, maybe to reduce snag possibility on drawing from holster.
However, I agree with Bawanna that's it's a waste of money. If you really want to upgrade, I'd say trade in your CW and buy a P40 for a little bit more than you'd be paying for parts.
Similar question only for 9mm--Is the frame on the cw9 the same as the p9 except for the slide stop?

jpshaw
07-22-2015, 07:31 AM
I have the P9 but only because when I bought mine (2002) there were no CW's. I can see some advantage to my P but I don't know if it's worth the extra bucks one would have to spend to get it.

tom.p
07-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Similar question only for 9mm--Is the frame on the cw9 the same as the p9 except for the slide stop?

I don't know whether the P/CW slides and frames are interchangeable, but I believe the 9mm is the same as far as swapping out some parts. Replacement barrels on kahr.com will fit either CW9 or P9, I know some have swapped the MIM slide stop for the P9's machined one. As far as swapping the whole slide...they sure look like they would fit the same, but if any of the internal parts are slightly different, you could end up causing some serious damage when firing it. I don't think I'd try it unless Kahr told me it would be fine.

tom.p
07-22-2015, 09:30 AM
I have the P9 but only because when I bought mine (2002) there were no CW's. I can see some advantage to my P but I don't know if it's worth the extra bucks one would have to spend to get it.

The P9 is a nicer gun, that's for sure. Probably a bit more accurate with the polygonal rifling (though it wouldn't be as noticeable on a gun that small, and not that it would matter to someone who shoots with my level of skill...) and it sure is prettier. I'd definitely like to have one, but I can't justify the additional cost to myself. I have yet to hear any evidence that the Kahr Premium Series is any more durable or longer lasting than the Value Series, and that might convince me to upgrade. But, since they're made from the same polymer and stainless steel, I doubt that's the case. Maybe the CW could get worn out faster if the machining tolerances aren't as fine, but I haven't heard any such complaint.

cobrasjp
07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
I don't know whether the P/CW slides and frames are interchangeable, but I believe the 9mm is the same as far as swapping out some parts. Replacement barrels on kahr.com will fit either CW9 or P9, I know some have swapped the MIM slide stop for the P9's machined one. As far as swapping the whole slide...they sure look like they would fit the same, but if any of the internal parts are slightly different, you could end up causing some serious damage when firing it. I don't think I'd try it unless Kahr told me it would be fine.
Check out this thread. It addresses a P9 upper assembly fitting on the CW9 frame

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25494

tom.p
07-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Check out this thread. It addresses a P9 upper assembly fitting on the CW9 frame

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25494 (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25494)

Very cool. Makes sense that it would work.