PDA

View Full Version : New CW380 owner

Coppertop
06-15-2015, 08:22 PM
I own a Ruger LCP and was in the market for another pocket .380 that had the slide lock on the last shot feature. I like the Ruger but for some reason the slide not locking o the last shot drove me nuts.

Enter the Kahr CW380. I did a good amount of research on the pistol and ran across one with a bronze slide and a very attractive price.

I had the chance to take it to the range yesterday but only could run a three magazines through it. As so many others have noted, the failure to feeds are common with this pistol in the early stages. Of the 18 rounds I fired, three cycles failed to load a round and three rounds failed to feed completely. This weekend I'll have time to cycle a few more rounds through the CW380 in hopes of breaking it in.

My question to the group is why do the Kahr's need breaking in? I've been around firearms for a long time and cannot remember any manufacturer noting that 200 rounds are needed to break in the pistol. I don't mean to knock Kahr but are these weapons not factory cycled enough to break in the springs?

I am really impressed with the CW380. When the rounds cycled properly, it shot great with a smooth as butter trigger and really feels good in the hand. Recoil was noticeably gentler than what I experience with the LCP or even my Walther. But this breaking in stuff has me scratching my head a little.

TimtheRef
06-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Kahr runs very tight tolerances in a very small package, which is why these little 380s are so much more enjoyable to shoot than their competitors, like the KelTec P3AT (I have one, and it's easy to carry but a chore to shoot, 25 rounds and I'm done.) I've got around 500 rounds through my P380 at this point, and it is a smooth shooter with rarely any flaws any more, and when they do happen they're usually due to user error. I also have a Kahr CM9 that has had zero errors of any kind, and I was the original owner on that pistol. It's not all Kahrs, but the smaller you go, the tighter it gets.

SlowBurn
06-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Assuming there's nothing wrong, you might try shooting a little hotter load during the break in period.

DavidR
06-16-2015, 04:31 AM
It may be helpful if you provide a little more detail: ammo used, one mag or multiple mags, more description of the failures.

There are a number of guys here who are very knowledgeable about Kahr pistols and very willing to share their knowledge. The more info you can provide the more they may be able to help you.

Coppertop
06-16-2015, 06:22 AM
It may be helpful if you provide a little more detail: ammo used, one mag or multiple mags, more description of the failures.

There are a number of guys here who are very knowledgeable about Kahr pistols and very willing to share their knowledge. The more info you can provide the more they may be able to help you.

Shooting with the single magazine that was provided with the pistol and shooting FMJ rounds (90 grain?).

The failures were that the round didn't chamber at all or partially chambered (round was about half-way into to the bore, at a slight angle). I'm picking up a few more magazines this week and this could very well be an issue with the magazine spring and not the firearm. The malfunctions aren't so much the issue but rather the curiosity as to why Kahr's have a break-in period.

I get the logic behind the break-in period but this is the first firearm I have owned that the manufacturer recommends it. It's a bit of a head scratcher as to why Kahr has this break-in period and others are good to go right out of the box. Does Kahr have a different post-production method or is it just the nature of the beast with these guns?

Again, I'm not trying to bash or criticize Kahr. I find the CW380 to be a nice pocket pistol and I'm just trying to understand why these pistols have a break-in period while others don't.

DavidR
06-16-2015, 11:10 AM
I think it's because it's not unusual to have a jam or two or some slide lock problems early on and they don't want new owners to over react to that as these problems should work themselves out.

In your case. a 33% failure rate the first time out is cause for concern. If your next outing isn't significantly better I would send it back to Kahr prepaid.

Dave

Bawanna
06-16-2015, 11:16 AM
ALL guns need a break in. Kahr is one of the few that admits it up front.

Most don't have any issues straight out fo the box, some need a little time to have everything mate up.

There is a lot happening in a very small package. They like full power ammo especially at first.

And some need a little tweeking. Give it some more range time. If it doesn't improve they will take care of it.

SlowBurn
06-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Shooting with the single magazine that was provided with the pistol and shooting FMJ rounds (90 grain?).

I agree it you're having too much trouble even during break in. Could be a lot of things including grip, but since you're used to shooting the LCP thats probably not it. Exactly which brand? Some like Fiocchi have problems feeding, they just don't quite fit in the chamber. Some CW380s do seem ammo sensitive particularly at first. Mine doesn't like flat nosed ammo much. But you might also be right about the mag.

Coppertop
06-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Exactly which brand? Some like Fiocchi have problems feeding, they just don't quite fit in the chamber. Some CW380s do seem ammo sensitive particularly at first. Mine doesn't like flat nosed ammo much. But you might also be right about the mag.

This past weekend I was finishing off a box of Blazer. This weekend it will be Winchester FMJ.

I understand your comments about grip. Weak grip can easily result in misfeeds and malfunctions. Not the case here.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the insight from everyone who has "been there, done that" with Kahr.

DavidR
06-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Blazer brass or aluminum?

Dave

Coppertop
06-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Brass

DavidR
06-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Brass

Brass should run fine in the CW380.

Dave

Coppertop
06-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Well... I have two magazines in route that will be here Friday and two boxes of Winchester FMJ. I'll put the CW380 through the ringer on Saturday and go from there.

I just hope things settle down. Can't say the idea of sending the pistol to Kahr gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

DavidR
06-17-2015, 03:17 AM
Well... I have two magazines in route that will be here Friday and two boxes of Winchester FMJ. I'll put the CW380 through the ringer on Saturday and go from there.

I just hope things settle down. Can't say the idea of sending the pistol to Kahr gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

If the Winchester is flat-nosed you may have problems. Some Kahr 380s that reliably cycle round-nosed ammo don't reliably cycle flat-nosed ammo.

Armybrat
06-17-2015, 08:27 AM
As mentioned before, my CT380 (a little bigger than the CW380) wouldn't fire Winchester White Box fmj at all the first time at the range. However, it happily gobbled up the Remington fmj and Hornady Critical Defense jhp.

zredwire
06-17-2015, 09:44 AM
I think it's because it's not unusual to have a jam or two or some slide lock problems early on and they don't want new owners to over react to that as these problems should work themselves out.

In your case. a 33% failure rate the first time out is cause for concern. If your next outing isn't significantly better I would send it back to Kahr prepaid.

Dave

I agree with this. I kept thinking my CW380 just needed more breaking in. After 450 rounds I finally decided to send it back to Kahr. It took 11 days from the day I shipped it to the day I got it back. Kahr did awesome. It has been flawless since I got it back. I now have a little over 1000 rounds through it.

Coppertop
06-17-2015, 11:34 AM
I keep reading where many have sent their pistols back to Kahr when the "break-in" period failed and when returned the pistol works flawlessly. Any idea what Kahr's service department is doing that their assembly line isn't? I imagine the company would have more success if they both could get on the same page and avoid all these service department repairs and maybe eliminate a major source of criticism.

I'll check the Winchester ammo to make sure it is not the flat nose FMJ. If it is, I'll either grab a box of PMC or Blazer FMJ with the round nose. My carry ammo is the Hornaday Personal Defense so I'll grab a box of that as well. Fingers crossed all goes well.

muggsy
06-17-2015, 02:59 PM
ALL guns need a break in. Kahr is one of the few that admits it up front.

Most don't have any issues straight out fo the box, some need a little time to have everything mate up.

There is a lot happening in a very small package. They like full power ammo especially at first.

And some need a little tweeking. Give it some more range time. If it doesn't improve they will take care of it.

+1 On every gun needing a break-in period just like every marriage needs a honeymoon period. Both of you need to get to know each other more intimately. Of course now days it's known as a shacking up period.

sharpetop
06-17-2015, 07:40 PM
My CW380 eats Winchester flat nose without any issue.

Coppertop
06-17-2015, 08:20 PM
I'll plan on running through a box of the Winchester, a box of PMC round nose and a box of Critical Defense on Saturday. Just hoping a the extra mags come in by then.

DansGunBlog
07-01-2015, 11:34 PM
I keep reading where many have sent their pistols back to Kahr when the "break-in" period failed and when returned the pistol works flawlessly. Any idea what Kahr's service department is doing that their assembly line isn't? I imagine the company would have more success if they both could get on the same page and avoid all these service department repairs and maybe eliminate a major source of criticism.

Excellent question, I too am seeing these posts and am quite curious about this... impressive return time however.

b4uqzme
07-02-2015, 03:04 AM
I keep reading where many have sent their pistols back to Kahr when the "break-in" period failed and when returned the pistol works flawlessly. Any idea what Kahr's service department is doing that their assembly line isn't? I imagine the company would have more success if they both could get on the same page and avoid all these service department repairs and maybe eliminate a major source of criticism...

More important is how many pistols run great without needing a return trip to service. There's little reason to post that. It's best to kerp things in perspective. It's a shame that a company's reputation is subject to such a small segment of owners. Yet there will always be criticism. It's human nature.

SlowBurn
07-02-2015, 04:42 AM
I don't know for sure but I suspect they're selling as many CW380s as they can make. The noise isn't affecting them much.
These little guys are probably as QC as they can make such a small but complex weapon unless they fire 200 test rounds. Vast majority break in fine. The relatively few that don't and get returned they just replace whatever parts "might" be causing the problem, test fire a few rounds and send back out.

Pointblank
07-02-2015, 05:26 AM
It's the tolerances alright. I had a Ruger LCP long before I picked up a CW380 over the holidays last year. At first I thought I had a lemon on my hands, but after a couple of range sessions the little Kahr started humming right along. Now, I can shoot bullseyes at 7 yards with the Kahr, the LCP is basically a close up, point and shoot gun.