PDA

View Full Version : Noble 235 .22 pump Rifle

wyntrout
06-21-2015, 09:04 PM
I went to the gun show yesterday and didn't buy a thing... just some raffle tickets for an M1 Garand... guess I didn't win. :(

I didn't find anything I wanted so I went to Shooters... the largest gun store in the area. I almost didn't find anything there, either. I did get to handle a Glock 30s, though, that I didn't find at the gun show. I'm meeting a guy half way to Tallahassee tomorrow to buy an unfired one from him with 2 9-round mags and 2 10-round mags, plus an IWB holster... for $475! I said that I wanted it and then decided I couldn't get it because of the bills from our last road trip up to Ill Annoy to see the family and celebrate granddaughter's 2nd birthday.

My wife just got a check Friday from her mother to help us pay for our next visit and I asked her about me borrowing some of that until next month after the trip is paid for. She said okay... I love my wife! And I got the deal going again. I really liked the feel and capacity of the G30s. The gun with two 10-round mags was $640 at Shooters and I asked about a better deal and was offered $540 + tax + NIC call... about $583 out the door with only two 10-round mags and no holster. That's why I decided to go ahead with the deal I'm talking about. I discussed that with my wife when I got home and texted the guy and got the FTF going again. I have to drive about 90 miles/minutes to meet him, but no tax or paperwork, and I get the extra mags and holster! :)

Anyhow, I asked another clerk at Shooters what they had in the way of pump .22 rifles. I've had a .22 pump in mind that will handle .22 shorts/longs/long rifles as kind of a project gun for quieter shooting and also able to handle the Colibrí powderless ammo. I did not care for the first one he showed me... the Henry octagonal Barrel Lever Action... way more than I wanted to spend and did not want the lever or the octagonal barrel. I may want to get the rifle fitted with a rail for optics and possibly the barrel threaded for add-ons.

So he looked for something used and found the Noble 235... for $99.99! I was kind of shocked because it probably would have been listed at $200 or more at a gun show... pre-1968. I asked for a better price and the clerk said he could go $80... I jumped on that and with the NIC call, it was just $90.60 out the door!

I cleaned it up a bit after checking the bore... used Hoppes to clean the barrel and then swabbed the barrel and magazine and mag feed/spring assembly well and lightly lubed with Tetra oil and dry patched the mag tube and the barrel. I used Flitz on the mag rod/spring holder, but didn't go crazy trying to make it all shiny brass. I had half a box of Colibrí so I was able to stick 17 in the tube with the last standing halfway up the slot, so I removed that one and left 16 in the tube. I figured it would probably hold 15 long rifles. The mag tube looks shorter than on some rifles, but the barrel is a hair under 24" long!

I set up about 7 or 8 of those thick Cabela's catalogs in front of the brick fireplace and fired 16 rounds with no problem, so I'm happy with my purchase and don't think I can lose any money... it's an antique! :D it gives me the "project" gun I've been wanting and I will figure something out for sights and maybe have the barrel threaded. There are grooves on the receiver for a scope.

I joked about the rifle being a rock bat and it is a little rough, but seems in great shape for its age and real use. I like new stuff, but this is just what I was looking for... and really not expecting to find!

I'm not sure it has a serial number... have to look again. Pre-68 was listed on the receipt and there was some kind of number. I just haven't seen it yet.

I looked at the rifle and can find no exposed serial number. There may be one hidden under the stock. I had other things to do and didn't want to take it completely apart, yet.

I did take some pictures.

Wynn :)

Alfonse
06-21-2015, 09:26 PM
That looks like fun! Gotta love old .22s

AJBert
06-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Great find, congrats!

I found an old Mossberg a few years ago, spent about the same as you did. What really sold me on it was the Mannlicher stock. One of these days I'll pull it out and do a restore on it. Even came with the old Weaver 3/4" scope that isn't too bad considering the age. From what I can find the rifle and scope come from the late '40s to the mid '50s. Once I knock out a few more projects hopefully I'll get around to it.

kenemoore
06-22-2015, 03:22 AM
Nice find, I think you did quite well.

wyntrout
06-25-2015, 11:33 AM
I went to the range Tuesday and shot the Noble 235 AND my new Glock G30S. The Noble will hold 15 long rifles and likes the action opened briskly and forcefully to the rear, or else the cartridge is held just a hair to low to chamber. The rifle is accurate with the blade sight where it was... mid-range. I didn't have a chair or a rest, so all of my shooting was offhand... and too often, wavering a bit, but the bullets hit where the sights were aligned... on the bullseye or not. :rolleyes:

I tried a variety of ammo and it HATED Stingers... jammed several times with next cartridge loose below the top round not aligned or hanging on the case neck rim. Mini Mags were okay. I got it for a quiet shooter... to handle Colibrí powderless ammo. I ordered a couple of bricks of that online. I had stopped by another gun store after returning from the FTF purchase of the G30S Monday, and the owner wanted something like $13.75 a box for that ammo! I passed up 2 boxes for $6 at the gun show Saturday... someone getting rid of the two boxes... still kicking myself for that... wasn't the Super Colibrí at 500 fps... just the 375 fps stuff.

PIX: #1 & #3 Aguila Sniper Sub-Sonic 60-gr at 10 yards then 15 yards over the taped 10-yard target. No key-holing observed as this round will do with some barrels and rifling twist rates.
# 2 Mini Mags @ 10-yards. The holes appear perfectly where the sights are aimed... bullseye misses due to wavering aim, but I noticed that POA=POI, which is what counts. :)

I tried Colt 40-gr LRN by Aguila and Remington Sub Sonic, too.

I want to take a rest next time and maybe go to the 25-yard range. I also want to try the Super Colibrí when it comes in.

For $90.60 out the door, I'm very happy!

I'll start another thread on the G30S.

Wynn