PDA

View Full Version : Gloom, despair, and agony!

PeterCartwright
07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Last week I started to clean my P9. While pulling the slide off the frame (standing, like a dummy), I dropped the slide on my concrete basement floor. A quick inspection failed to reveal any serious difficulties, so I proceeded with the cleaning and began to reassemble. Curiously, the slide wouldn't go all the way back on the receiver. After looking more carefully, I discovered that the slide landed on its side toward the back of the unit in such a way that I've bent the rail on one side. At best, the puppy has to return to Kahr. At worst, I'm wondering if I'm looking at a new slide.

Anyone been as stupid as me?

PC

Bawanna
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Stupid is a pretty big word and I avoid giving that title to anyone. In your case I'd prefer to say that Murphy took a break from tormenting me and saw an opportunity to mess with you.
I'm certain you are correct in that a trip back to Kahr will probably be required. Depending on how bad it is they may be able to straighten it if your lucky.
Would like to see a picture if you can post one. Had to have hit the floor just right to tweek the slide that bad. They are pretty tough.

jlottmc
07-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Ouch. That's about right though, trip back to the mother ship is in order. I too call only the very well deserving stupid. That's not you. Anyone who says they've never dropped a gun is either new to them or lying. AD's go about the same way, the good news is that we learn from the times that Murphy, his relations, O'Tool, and his relations mess with us.

Roadblock
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
A local gun shop should be able to fix that. They make special tools just for loosening and tightening rails. Hell, take it to a shop that specializes in 1911's, they will be able to fix that right up.

Bawanna
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
A local gun shop should be able to fix that. They make special tools just for loosening and tightening rails. Hell, take it to a shop that specializes in 1911's, they will be able to fix that right up.

I suspect roadblock is correct. If theres a real smith around with the right stuff it shouldn't be difficult. Kind of depends how bad it is. I saw no mention of how old the gun was either. Chances are Kahr would fix it free, if it goes to a smith and for whatever reason it don't work or can't be saved then Kahr might not be so accomodating.
Can't be bent too bad though, I'd probably lean towards a good local if you have one nearby. Suspect its easier to tighten a slide than to loosen it too.

PeterCartwright
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm away serving at a kid's camp this week (with only occasional access to a computer). I'm sorta think'n I'd be better off to let the "mother ship" look at this. I'm not sure the damage would be very apparent with a camera shot. It might. It took me a while to see it. There's actually a kind of facet (for want of a better term) which starts about a quarter inch above the rail. The slide had to hit just right, to be sure.

I got into trouble by trying to use a local "smith" on my K9 a few years ago. Lesson learned. This puppy's gonna go back home for TLC...or replacement (ugh!)

Thanks, all, for your replies.

PC

JoeMB
07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Don't feel bad at all! I had the head firearms instructor at my department drop my service weapon while the slide was locked back! Well that bent the slide lock lever so the slide was stuck at lockback. Long story short had to replace the slide stop and slide stop spring. So don't be so hard on yourself we all suffer from butter fingers once in a while.

Andyo5
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Going forwards, as the politicians like to say; disassemble your pistol only over a table. If anything falls, it won't have far to go and will make a soft landing.

deadhead1971
07-16-2010, 03:00 PM
It happens, and things are worse when there is a wife involved--like the time I dropped my PM9's loaded 7 round magazine on the new hardwood floor in our closet (where I keep my "things") and gave it a nice dent. The wifey was mad.

Actually I did not drop it, it slipped from my grasp. :)