PDA

View Full Version : Newbie CM40 question

RSF
06-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and I may not use the correct verbiage so feel free to correct me as I learn some gun technology. I have been shooting off and on my entire life but have never gotten into the meat and potatoes of guns. My hobbies have been fishing and golfing but am now interested in shooting so here we go...

For reference I have (handguns) a Sig 45 (best gun in my collection to date), S&W 40, Taurus 9, Ruger 9, a Walther 380 and recently purchased a Kahr CM40 for carry purposes. I am following the procedure of the 200 round break in period and hit a snag of sorts. The first trip to the range I was primarily focused on my 223 and the new site I installed. I then walked over to the pistol area and went through a quick 100 rounds without paying much attention to details, just shooting lead and getting the feel for the gun. I noticed on multiple occasions that I had a FTF issue. I went home and cleaned it real well and went back out the next day and this time I was paying full attention. I loaded the first mag full with 5, locked the slide back, inserted the mag released the slide and fired the first round, no issues but when I squeezed the trigger for the 2nd it wasn't there. I released the mag pulled the slide back about an inch, the round locked in, I reinserted the mag and went through the remaining 4 rounds without a hitch. I did this three more times with the exact same issue, FTF on the 2nd round, always the 2nd round. I then went through the paces, I inserted 2 rounds and it fed and fired perfectly. Did the same with 3 and it fed perfectly. Did the same with 4 and it fed perfectly. Got to 5 and the 2nd round FTF issue happened again. I went through this exercise multiple times and the only time I had a FTF issue was with a full mag and always on the 2nd round. I was using Federal ammo (I'd have to check the grain, can't remember), not reloads and I decided to switch to another and used Lawman and had the exact same issue. The mag shows no issues as I've read in other post. Someone suggested loading the mag and let it sit to break in the spring. Before I call Kahr I was looking for opinions and thoughts.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

getsome
07-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Hello RSF and welcome to Kahrtalk....Try taking the magazine apart and cleaning it real well, pay close attention to the spring and be sure it's not in upside down as some have found....remove the plastic follower and lay a sheet of wet/dry 600 grit paper on a flat serface and sand both sides of the follower to be sure they are real smooth then finish off with some 1000 grit all around the outside where it rubs the inside of the magazine, don't sand off too much, just smooth out the casting marks on the plastic so it's free inside the length of the magazine....Sounds like the follower may be hanging up on on the mag release hole in the side of the magazine since it's always the 2nd round FTF...This is a common problem and while the mag is apart it wont hurt to use some 1000 grit paper on the mag lips to be sure they don't have and burrs or sharp edges...

Keep shooting it and keep an eye on the follower to be sure yours doesn't get a crack from the barrel feed ramp hitting it on the last round but it sounds like you already have read and know about that issue....My first Kahr was a CW40 and it had a few issues that required a little fluff and buff attention before it started to behave...I found this place because of the problems I was having and the good folks here took real good care of me and I was able to fix the slide lock spring I bent as well as helping me install a replacement mag release spring which cured the mag falling out after almost every shot.... I currently have a PM40 I bought used and it's been 100% since day one and it's a keeper....

Hope this info helps solve your FTF problem and I'm pretty sure it will...If you still are having any problems ask a question in the CM forum and folks will be quicker to answer you back....Good luck and again WELCOME to the best gun forum on the interweb!!!

RonW
07-01-2015, 10:59 PM
I too own a CW40 that I really enjoy shooting. I went ahead & bought 2 spare mags and my only beef with the pistol is really the mags. The mags are of good quality but the little metal tab that is on top of the follower is hanging up on the inside of the mag wall. I had to take a nail file & work on it a little bit to get it to smooth out... Other than that my CW40 has been very reliable & eats pretty much eats whatever I feed it.