PDA

View Full Version : FNS 9c

Baklash
07-12-2015, 01:20 PM
I read a good review of the new striker fired FNH fns 9c (compact), also 40c, in Guns and Ammo magazine and it got me interested. Handled a couple when I stopped at a gunshop in Tennessee while traveling this week. I really like the feel and looks. Both back straps felt good. It comes with 3 highly polished mags. Everything is ambidextrous and comes with or without (my preference) thumb safety. Choice of either black stainless slide or shiny. 3 dot sights with the front one large. (Somebody has been talking with Big Dot.) Also 3 dot Trijicon night sights is a choice. Seems that every gun magazine always loves every gun they review. Never saw one they didn't like. But this one sounds promising based on what I like in a handgun. Also,based on what I've read elsewhere, FNH has a good reputation. Just wondering: Have any of you had experience with FNH overall and this compact model specifically? Thanks in advance.

zamboni
07-12-2015, 08:44 PM
I have the fns 40c with factory night sites and love it. IMHO, the best all around package around. 2 back straps, 3 mags including 1 flush, 1 with pinky extension, 1 full grip. I really like the trigger and recoil is very mild for a smallish .40. That article was incorrect on one thing though, as of now I believe they are only available in black.

CJB
07-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Not exactly the same, but... I've got an FNX-45, and no complaints (but its a huge pistol). The FN pistol's are F'n awesome!

Baklash
07-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna keep watch on this one.

CJB
07-14-2015, 08:03 PM
The FNX has been faultless in function....after about three boxes of WWB. Had a few fail to lock back, and to be fair, I was loading five rounds mostly, instead of the full mag full. They have heavy slides and heavy-ish springs that loosen up quite nicely. The 45 is not a bear to rack, but it gets easier.

Of course they run the "you can change the frame rails!" mantra up the ladder. I have never heard of anyone that needed to.

Basiclaly will feed everything I can fit in the magazine now.

Downlide - FN sells very few parts, and they want the pistol back for things like magazine releases that need tweaking. Mine did not. They had a run of pistols with bad fire control housings. They've got that one solved some time ago. Also had a run that didn't fire when very cold, and similarly fixed. They had a run that had a sear/hammer problem, and a trigger reset issue, and again... solved. I think there were two recalls for very limited serial numbers - not consecutive either - you had to call and see if your pistol was part of a poison run, but... that was about two years ago. Had a now corrected mag drop issue too. Sounds like Kahr! Sounds like just about all the companies really....

Overall, I'm WAY happy with my FNX-45. Its huge. All the FNX/FNP/FNS have a certain "Ruger clunky" feel. Like a P-85 or P-90 Ruger was a decent pistol, but... clunky, not svelte.

Trigger pull in single action is a little creepy, but glass smooth. Other shooters report the same on the FNX/FNP. Can't say on the FNS. The "compact" is not really a "compact" pistol... its still pretty big, but not gargantuan like the FNX.

Lets see, a little more downside... the FNX (and pre FNX called the FNG-45) has a complex fire control on account of the cocked and locked and safe action of the mode selector (ie safety lever). The FNS would not be subject to that ...

And.... as I recall.... the Service Manager from FN USA now works in Service at Karh. Makes ya go hmmmm.