PDA

View Full Version : CT45 in the house

hardluk1
07-23-2015, 09:52 AM
I finally did it . Went over to our general store and traded a 3 year old rai 5" 1911 I have not shot much since brake in for a new ct45 . Had to come up with 21 dollar to cover tax and out the door.

Have only fired a few shoots but have 3 chip cmc 8 round mags working in it and will hold the cycle open .
Trigger pulls better than my cm8 cw9 or tp40 out of the box at 5lb . That's good enough . I here some are lighter but this is one is the same as my other 3 and they had wolf rp springs installed . Gona go to the range tomorrow and see if any of my reload cause issues . Some are really lite loads to try and some hot +P's

So far , so pleased . Now I gota cut the weed patch !

b4uqzme
07-23-2015, 10:13 AM
congrats --- updating from a gun you rarely shoot to one you shoot alot is always a good thing. have fun!

hardluk1
07-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Got to run a few rounds of 185+p 1200fps ammo thru just before it started raining . IT controlable than the 1911 and easier on my hand when compaired to the tp40 with the hot 155gr loads . More of a push but not near as snappy . Nice pistol .

TheTman
07-23-2015, 02:08 PM
A friend just picked his CT45 up the other day. He likes the full length grip on it where he can easily place 4 fingers. He's admired my Kahrs for quite awhile, and finally got him one.
So far, just holding it and dry firing it, he really likes it. He's shot my CW45's before so he knows about what to expect as far as recoil goes. I told him he probably should find a piece of bicycle tube or something to cover up the cheese grater on the back strap.
Maybe we'll hit the range in the next week or so. I told him to check out the stickies on prep of a new Kahr, but his computer is on the blink, so I told him what I could remember.
He has a nice shooting 1911, but the trigger is scary light, intended for target shooting, and he wanted something better suited for SD. He's a larger guy and the longer handle of the CT doesn't stick out on him, like it would on me.

hardluk1
07-23-2015, 04:51 PM
You said it when you mentioned the chesse grater on them. I managed to pull a 1.75 inner tube up on mine to cover all the chesse grater and because my hands still not that good I pulled a pachmayr slip on over that. I got to say the big 45 is a soft shooter . It rolls and pushes in your hand but does not have that snap of may tp40 has and that little bit wider grip in nice for me . Not much but it helps . I would be interested how your 1911 friend compares the CT45 to his 1911 for both recoil and racking of the slide . . I never took to the 1911 . This kahr is easier on may hand to shot than my 5" 1911 when the same loads are used in both. The best part I don't have to look far for may brass . Softball loads land with in 2 to 3 feet . 185gr P+ were only 4 to 5 feet away and cycles so slowly I can help but watch the brass fly by while try'n to shoot for group . Not use to that .

I prepped mine like my other kahrs , cleaned everything well , looked it over and lubed it heavily on all parts that rub and racked in that first round and it cycled a 200gr swc at 700fps just fine . Finished the few mags I ran today with 185gr hp at 1200fps . I could not tell that much difference in feel . My hands happy and that was my main worry . I do have some trigger time to catch up on with the DA trigger pull ..

hardluk1
08-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Finished another 200 rounds at the range and most were some real soft loads I had 230gr at 740fps from a 5" barrel 1911 so maybe 710 in the kahr , maybe less. Had to run lighter springs in the 1911 for then to cycle and did not expect them to work in the kahr . Got a surprise . They cycled so slow the brass would pop up and hit me in the chest and land in front of my feet . I did have a few rounds that did stove pipe but I happy those loads ran at all . HP ran really well and accurate as heck with all loads . Guess its ready for some carry time now .

warbird1
08-07-2015, 08:13 PM
All sounds good. I just put one on layaway. Will pick up on Monday.

CJB
08-07-2015, 08:53 PM
pictures.... or it didn't happen!

hardluk1
08-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Aaaa geeess , another picher guy .

I take crappy photos !
CT45 with a slip on. Grips still not the greatest and it does help .

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/102_0225_zpshfdmlqkl.jpg?1439037340226&1439037342525

Hanging with the TP40 and CM9 . Daughter claimed my cw9 as hers .

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/102_0227_zpsx4gchznk.jpg?1439037340231&1439037342532

hardluk1
08-08-2015, 06:46 AM
warbird1 Be waiting the read your review of the ct45 . I have since taken the slip on off mine . Tts such a mild shooting pistol . I still hate the texture on them enough to leave the inner tube on.

warbird1
08-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Looks like a Pachmayr slip on for an XD. Well I'm having a problem with mine. About 10-15% of the time mine will not fire. Drop the mag and pull the trigger and it fires. When it fails to fire you can't rack the slide until you drop the mag. Then you can rack the slide or pull the trigger and it will fire. Reinsert the mag and continue on until...the next exact thing. Oddest thing I have ever seen. I have three other Kahr's and none have done this. I suspect the mag follower or the ammo. Will need more range time to isolate the problem. Have a Tuff1 grip sleeve on the way.

yqtszhj
08-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Finished another 200 rounds at the range and most were some real soft loads I had 230gr at 740fps from a 5" barrel 1911 so maybe 710 in the kahr , maybe less. Had to run lighter springs in the 1911 for then to cycle and did not expect them to work in the kahr . Got a surprise . They cycled so slow the brass would pop up and hit me in the chest and land in front of my feet . I did have a few rounds that did stove pipe but I happy those loads ran at all . HP ran really well and accurate as heck with all loads . Guess its ready for some carry time now .

Thats an awesome report. I love both of my kahr .45s. I have the cw and cm45 and they're good shooters. Thought about the ct45 but i can get a 7 round act mag in my cw45 and it works well and fits good.

Thanks for the report.

Bawanna
08-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Hardluk, break out your pencil wood burner and just tone them cheese graters down a bit. It's easy and don't take long to do.

Just looks a 100 times better than a tube too. I used to love finger groove grips but not so much anymore either, like to be able to move my hand a tad if needed.

All that being said I want one for myself.

hardluk1
08-13-2015, 06:44 AM
warbird1 Mag rubbing on the connector maybe , Stock mag ? Werd. One of my 1911 mags was just a fuzz to tall and would click into place but was tight against the slide and would not let me rack it or drop the slideit if raced back . Maybe a trip home for some TLC is in order .

yqtszhj Nice to have 7 rounds in a stock looking mag . I had the option of a cw45 or the ct45 as both sat side by side . I was worried that the recoil of the smaller pistol might be a problem with my hand . Grip is not what it use to be . I now think it would have been fine . The ct45 is softer shooting than even my 5" 1911 and softer shooting than a friends xd . Changed my view of carry'n a 45 for sure . I have to read back to find the mag , maybe check mate . They work as they are with no cutting of metal needed . I forgot to try the 8round act-mag before trading the ria1911 off . Base is more like a kahr mag base . I still trying to figure out if 8 rounds can work in a long kahr mag . It looks like it should , there an extra hole in the mag body and plenty of room left , but won't take the 8th round. Gona have to look into that a little more .

Bawanna I have about as much artistic talent as rock so give me a wood burner and run for cover . I also don't want to mess up a grip and have to send it back for a new grip /frame and serial number !! . Looks never mattered much to me ether, no pretty guns allowed in the house !! . When you grew up shooting smooth or lightly textured grips and frames with little to no checkering anywhere it make me wonder why some of the cheese grater texture used today by so many is even needed . I see XD is starting to get away from it with there new model . The ole inner tubes have worked fine for years . And the looks . It does not look good but I never carried . I am going to try some rubber textured tape on the ct45 . I did like the little extra width the slip on adds at least for break in but have removed the slip on now . Only finger groves in the house were on that slip on.

Can't wait for the new gen2 to come out . I want to get my wife one more nice fun gun and maybe a 5 or 6" 9mm would be the right one . maybe .

warbird1
12-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Just realized that I had not gave an update. All problems stopped after 70 rds. Just needed to break-in I guess. It was odd though. Runs 100% now. The Tuff1 grip sleeve works great! Actually I did touch the sharp edge on top of the mags about 3 times each and removed just a hair's thinness of metal. Excellent firearm.

muggsy
12-15-2015, 06:08 AM
No offense intended fellas, but anyone who complains about Kahrs cheese grater grips needs to work on his grip, not the guns grip. If you've ever done a decent days work the grip on a Kahr pistol shouldn't bother you a bit. The only way that the grip can rub you raw is if the gun is moving around in your hand. I've watched a lot of shooting videos on you tube where the shooter re-grips his gun after every shot. That's indicative of someone who doesn't have a proper grip. Having a proper grip is necessary for fast accurate shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ

items
12-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I have to say that after reading all of the cheese grater comments prior to picking up the CW45 I was leery of it and almost ordered a Talon grip that I saw online before heading to the range. But I found the grip to be fine and the recoil to be less than anticipated as well. I didn't get a chance to fire many rounds yet but had no indication that the grip would cause me any real problems as is.

hardluk1
12-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Muggys . NO offence intended !! ?? Your sure assuming a lot of things .

What I did 11 years ago to draw some blood was rip a callous loose after 180 rounds quickly fired rounds on the first lite pistol I owned , A cw9 . I turned around and bought a cm9 while I healed up and finish break in weak hand . Now after decades of shooting , competing and hunting with revolvers you don't need to hold on tighly to them shoot well or shoot quickly and I made a mistake with my cw9 many years ago .

Now your reference to "doing a decent days work" that is very insulting and stupid. I have built homes hands on for 45 years till retirement. Most years with a small 3 or 4 man crew from footer to trim . I'm retired now but still shoot about 2500 rounds a year of mostly 40sw on defensive drills . My split times on steel are not lacking .

The heavy texture use on kahrs I think is simple the one low point of there handguns . Most be a reason behind XD going away from there cheese greater with there new mod 2 texture . More like the texture type used on the grip insert on m&p core /pro pistol or on a PT111G2 is more than enough texture for control with out feeling like a cheese grater .

My comments on the ct45 come after hand surgery on 2 fingers this year but still go back to the crap texture and my EDC is now a p320 compact 40sw or my ct45 with a chunk of inner tube on it now instead of my of my ole favortites , a tp40 and cm9 .

Feel like you do about grip you should go to a uspsa match and tell the guys there they don't need the rubber or sand paper grip tape they use on so many competition handguns .

hardluk1
12-15-2015, 12:38 PM
warbird1 Glad your pistols running reliably now . Those big 45's sure are nice shooting and how about the lite trigger !

items I'm not the only one that's not found of the texture . Pulling some inner tube on the grips been a regular thing on this forum for as long as I have been around here . But if your shooting 50 rounds at a time the texture may be fine . I may shoot more than most guys when I go to the range . If you do an extended shooting sections a pair of thin leather gloves with a trigger finger cut back can be helpful if needed .
Enjoy your new cw45. You have a great carry pistol .

muggsy
12-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Muggys . NO offence intended !! ?? Your sure assuming a lot of things .

What I did 11 years ago to draw some blood was rip a callous loose after 180 rounds quickly fired rounds on the first lite pistol I owned , A cw9 . I turned around and bought a cm9 while I healed up and finish break in weak hand . Now after decades of shooting , competing and hunting with revolvers you don't need to hold on tighly to them shoot well or shoot quickly and I made a mistake with my cw9 many years ago .

Now your reference to "doing a decent days work" that is very insulting and stupid. I have built homes hands on for 45 years till retirement. Most years with a small 3 or 4 man crew from footer to trim . I'm retired now but still shoot about 2500 rounds a year of mostly 40sw on defensive drills . My split times on steel are not lacking .

The heavy texture use on kahrs I think is simple the one low point of there handguns . Most be a reason behind XD going away from there cheese greater with there new mod 2 texture . More like the texture type used on the grip insert on m&p core /pro pistol or on a PT111G2 is more than enough texture for control with out feeling like a cheese grater .

My comments on the ct45 come after hand surgery on 2 fingers this year but still go back to the crap texture and my EDC is now a p320 compact 40sw or my ct45 with a chunk of inner tube on it now instead of my of my ole favortites , a tp40 and cm9 .

Feel like you do about grip you should go to a uspsa match and tell the guys there they don't need the rubber or sand paper grip tape they use on so many competition handguns .

You've taken everything that I said way too personally. I turned wrenches four about 40 years, have callouses on my callouses and forearms like Popeye, so the cheese grater grips don't bother me. Competition shooters don't want to have the gun moving around in their hands either, so the use grip tape. If what I say doesn't apply to you pay no attention to me.

hardluk1
12-16-2015, 03:27 PM
The words of wisdom from an assumer .

muggsy
12-18-2015, 06:30 AM
I guess that Kahr assumes that real men are shooting their guns. No offense intended to the girly men who bought them. :) I'll be back.

hardluk1
12-19-2015, 05:37 AM
Are YOU telling the other folks about how they need to tough up or become a real man or are you afraid to !! Seen three others post yesterday on a kahr forum discussing the cheese gatter grips and using slip-ons or inner tubes on them . Better hurry over there and spread your vast knowledge on being a man . I have notice most guys that make out like there really manly tough guys and like to tell other how the should become real men or toughen up tend to be soft and fluffy girly type men . Most be your issues . I'll be watching for your comments on other tread for your comments on people and "grip issues "

Armybrat
12-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Well, youse guys need to get a grip and git back to the gun talk.

just sayin

shlike
12-19-2015, 11:28 AM
warbird1 Glad your pistols running reliably now . Those big 45's sure are nice shooting and how about the lite trigger !

items I'm not the only one that's not found of the texture . Pulling some inner tube on the grips been a regular thing on this forum for as long as I have been around here . But if your shooting 50 rounds at a time the texture may be fine . I may shoot more than most guys when I go to the range . If you do an extended shooting sections a pair of thin leather gloves with a trigger finger cut back can be helpful if needed .
Enjoy your new cw45. You have a great carry pistol .

Here's what I use on my CW45. Very comfortable and secure. Feels great in hand. It does tend to twist a little on the grip handle after a 50-round range session, but very easy to twist back. I have heard that if you spray the gun grip with hairspray prior to installing the grip glove, if provides just enough "stickiness" to prevent it from twisting. I'm going to try this the next time I remove and replace the grip glove.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/shlike48316/CW45WITHPACHMAYRGRIPGLOVE3_zps3643c870.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/shlike48316/CW45WITHPACHMAYRGRIPGLOVE1_zps2336890a.jpg

hardluk1
12-19-2015, 05:25 PM
I have one of those I used to finish most of my breakin on my ct45 . Wife had it on a m&p9c at one time and she reminded me of it after my inner tube slip on slit , my fault . The pachmayr worked well but never was a finger groove guy . If I'm shooting more than just a few mags at a time its nice to have that little extra control . Waiting on a rubberized sheet of grip tape for the ct45 . My wife has some on a couple of her pistols and I found I like it .