PDA

View Full Version : Never Touchin' the Taser Again!

n8tureboy
07-15-2010, 07:37 AM
My wife is fond of saying that my last words on this earth will be something akin to "Well, I have out done myself once again." No doubt you will see this true story chronicled in a Lifetime movie in the near future.

Here goes...

Last weekend I spied something at the pawn shop that tickled my fancy. (Note: Keep in mind that my "fancy" is easily tickled). I bought something really cool for my wife.

The occasion was our 18th anniversary and I was looking for a little something extra for my sweet girl.

What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized Taser gun with a clip. For those of you who are not familiar with this product, it is a less-than-lethal stun gun with two metal prongs designed to incapacitate an assailant with a shock of high-voltage, low amperage electricity while you flee to safety. The effects are supposed to be short lived with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, but allowing you adequate time to retreat to safety.

You simply jab the prongs into your 250 lb. tattooed assailant, push the button, and it will render him a slobbering, goggle-eyed, muscle-twitching, whimpering, pencil-neck geek. If you've never seen one of these things in action, then you're truly missing out--way too cool!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded two AAA batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was so disappointed. Upon reading the directions (we don't need no stinkin' directions), I found much to my chagrin that this particular model would not create an arch between the prongs. How disappointing! I do love fire for effect. I learned that if I pushed the button, however, and pressed it against a metal surface
that I'd get the blue arch of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs that I was so looking forward to. I did so. Awesome! Sparks, a blue arch of electricity, and a loud pop!

Yipeeeeee!

I'm easily amused, just for your information, but I have yet to explain to her what that burn spot on the face of her microwave is.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two AAA batteries, etc., etc.

There I sat in my recliner, my dog looking on intently (trusting little soul), reading the directions (that would be me, not the dog) and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh and blood target.

I must admit I thought about zapping the dog for a fraction of a second and thought better of it. He is such a sweet pup, after all. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong?

Was I wrong to think that? It seemed reasonable to me at the time.

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my glasses perched & ;delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, Taser in the other. The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water.

All the while I'm looking at this little device (measuring about 5" long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference, pretty cute really, and loaded with two itsy, bitsy AAA batteries) thinking to myself, "No friggin' way!"

Friggin' way - trust me, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best. Those of you who know me well have got a pretty good i dea of what followed. I'm sitting there alone, the dog looking on with his head cocked to one side as to say, "Don't do it buddy," reasoning that a one-second burst from such ! a tiny l il' ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad (sound, rational thinking under the circumstances, wouldn't you agree?).

I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for the hell of it.

(Note: You know, a bad decision is like hindsight-- always 20-20. It is so obvious that it was a bad decision after the fact, even though it seemed so right at the time. Don't ya just hate that?) I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and HOLY*********!
DAaaaauuuuuuMN!!!

I'm pretty sure that Jessie Ventura ran in through the front door, picked me up out of that recliner, then body slammed me on the carpet over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, soaking wet, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position. The dog was standing over me making sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to himself, "Do it again, do it again!"

(NOTE: If you ever feel compelled to mug yourself with a Taser, one note of caution. There is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You're not going to let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor.. Then, if you're lucky, you won't dislodge one of the prongs 1/4" deep into your thigh like yours truly.)

SON-OF-A-***** ;that hurt! A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at this point), I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My glasses were on the TV across the room. How did they get there??? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. give or take an ounce or two, I'm pretty sure.

By the way, has anyone seen my testicles? I think they ran away. I'm offering a reward. They're round, ! kinda hairy, and handsome if I must say so myself. Miss 'em; sure would like to get 'em back.

OldLincoln
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow!! Need Pics of you thrashing all about, so do it again!

I'm sure the wife would want to test fire the puppy. Like a new gun you don't know if it works until you shoot it, so be a sport. You're still alive (even if a couple pounds lighter) so it can't be all THAT bad.

PS: I'm in CA and I thought I saw a couple fur balls headed for the ocean.

kb2wji
07-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Wuss. LOL Getting touch-tased is nothing!! Not like TV at all. Soon as the contact is severed between probe and skin, the effects are instantly gone. None of this moaning and writhing in pain on the ground that you see on TV. I was shot with the X26 Taser, by the barbs (which gives a MUCH greater spread than a handheld, thus giving it MUCH more effectiveness). The 5 seconds I was "riding it" was sheer hell. I thought I was going to die. My blood turned to fire, and my brain was boiling. Then presto. 5 seconds over, and I started to laugh, and stood right up. Effects totally gone, instantly. Theres such a huge aura of Godliness associated with Tasers or stun guns....but once that juice isnt flowing into you, effects are done.

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Our officers all carry X26's now and each has to be tased before they can carry one. They also have to be pepper sprayed before they can carry that. It's hilarious to watch this happen. We have citizen academy's and during that they take one probe (barb removed and put it in the pocket of a person kneeling down, then line up 5 or 6 others and put the other probe in the pocket at the other end. Each person has somebody to catch them and a mat. They all lock arms and when the trigger is pulled the whole line drops.
We had one fortunately in house demonstration where the shooter forgot about the drop in trajectory and shot the actor right in the family jewels with one of the probes. The shooter was laughing so hard he forgot to let go of the trigger and stop the 5 second cycle. The actor was dieing on the ground.
They are great LE tools without question. As you say, once the juice is taken away, everyones ok. Usually the threat of another discharge is enough to get immediate compliance.
There are of course limitations like the officer that thought he was tasing but shot his duty gun, can't recall where that was. Another officer tased a guy on a third floor balcony hangin on the rail. Not a good outcome.
Personally I think I'd prefer to be shot, I hate being shocked. Course bullet wounds gotta hurt some too.

carguy79
07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I couldnt not help myself from laughing during reading your story. Reminds me of a time this kid in high school brought his fathers taser and accidently shot me in the gut with it while I was working on a car. His punishment was to let me shoot him back the next day.......needless to say he peed all over himself and the whole class roared in laughter.

I must admit though I probably would have done the same thing just to try it out.

Good luck with that, hopefully you will never piss her off enough to take RIDE again!

P.S. Get her a gun as well. During rookie training we watched several videos of criminals in drug induced hazes keep going after being shocked or even rip the barbs out and keep fighting.

kahrhog
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM
i heard this story before.

kb2wji
07-15-2010, 02:54 PM
i heard this story before.

Yea its been floating around other forums for a while. It's a cute read though.

Mudinyeri
07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
If you want to see if you're a real man, try hunting bear with a taser.

kb2wji
07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
If you want to see if you're a real man, try hunting bear with a taser.

Hunting a bear with a taser would take a man. Hunting a bear without the dart cartridge takes a REAL man :D

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Hunting a bear with a taser would take a man. Hunting a bear without the dart cartridge takes a REAL man :D

Is it me or am I the only one who seems to miss the word intelligent. Course I'm the first to agree that theres a very fine line between REAL men and total insanity.

OldLincoln
07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Quick, do something manly! I know, rip out your chest hair! Arghhhhh....

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Quick, do something manly! I know, rip out your chest hair! Arghhhhh....

OR go tinkle standing up!!! Oh crap I can't do that no more either. Guess I'll stick with the chest hair rip with vise grips!:mad: Hot wax is for wusses:eek:

Jeremiah/Az
07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
That story is TOO funny! Do it again! May not be as bad the next time.

TD2K
07-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Our officers all carry X26's now and each has to be tased before they can carry one. They also have to be pepper sprayed before they can carry that. It's hilarious to watch this happen.

yup. Hubby is the taser instructor for his sheriff's dept. He's taken 5 hits, all with probes. But he says it's all worth it, because he gets to tase everyone else now, including administration. :D (I think they're all NUTS)

He also went to El Paso, TX for "Stinger" training (They're cheaper than the X26's), but there are already lawsuits out from people dying, so the dept. decided against it (WHEW!)

Longitude Zero
07-16-2010, 11:45 AM
In order to carry OC and the TASER you have to feel the effects. I will take the OC any day to avoid the TASER repeat.

Bawanna
07-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I have to agree even though the OC is loooong lasting. The zapper stops hurting pretty quick but I'll still take the OC, I hate being shocked.

I actually went thru the OC scenario even though I'm a civillian. My son did it too, had to do different days (somebody had to drive home without their head hanging out the window)

We got sprayed, had to fight a dummy in a padded suit (I cheated), then had to shoot an FX round out of a Beretta, then find a car key, unlock and get in and lock the doors.
It was a blast but way easier for the guys with legs.
Course the best part was dunkin your head in the wash tub and hangin out in front of the fan to put the fire in our face out.

To the guy in the padded suit, sorry I knocked off your head gear and gave you a bloody nose. I just lost it in all the hype and circumstance. Sorry.

kb2wji
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
In order to carry OC and the TASER you have to feel the effects. I will take the OC any day to avoid the TASER repeat.

Not me. Not in a million years would I ever want a direct shot of OC again. Tase me in the tongue, eyeballs, wherever. Just dont spray me again. That OC jacked me up for a loooong time. Taser is over with in exactly 5 seconds flat. Anyone can deal with horrific pain for 5 seconds, with no longer lasting effects. I still have my original can of OC from years ago. I never use it, and God willing it'll stay that way.

Bawanna
07-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Not me. Not in a million years would I ever want a direct shot of OC again. Tase me in the tongue, eyeballs, wherever. Just dont spray me again. That OC jacked me up for a loooong time. Taser is over with in exactly 5 seconds flat. Anyone can deal with horrific pain for 5 seconds, with no longer lasting effects. I still have my original can of OC from years ago. I never use it, and God willing it'll stay that way.

I think this is exactly why they make you experience it before you carry. You have to know how it effects you if the bad guy gets it and sprays you. Some people are absolutely done the minute the spray hits them, they can't perform or do anything. They're totally justified in shooting the bad guy if they get the spray cause they will surely lose the fight if they are sprayed. Others like my son, it did'nt really effect him that bad. Your right though it would be nice if it was over in 5 seconds. Seems like every time the spray is deployed a good guy gets it too. It actually got me the same way at training the wind caught a big dose of it and put it right in me. Couldn't figure out at first why I was so emotional and tearing up? We got full blast about 6"'s from our face, it wasn't pleasant.

racuda
07-17-2010, 12:03 PM
snopes.com: Man Uses Taser on Himself (http://www.snopes.com/humor/follies/taser.asp)

Longitude Zero
07-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Oddly enough I have been sprayed several times accidentally and for me it is merely uncomfortable and not really painful. Fighting thru it is childs play.

jlottmc
07-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I too have had the less lethal training, and yes I have a few stories to go with that. The taser feels like a hot baseball bat then nothing. A truly sadistic weapon, it'll mess with your mind really bad. If it weren't for the price tag, I'd have my shot gun loaded with a couple of X-Reps (the shotgun shell taser). Those give a non-repeatable 10 second ride. Yes, I was dumb enough to volunteer to get hit with the X-Rep, I still remember it. Vividly.