PDA

View Full Version : Revolver question

O'Dell
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey guys. I had lunch today with my ex-wife [I know, I know, but we're still friends], and she is interest in a small, relatively inexpensive 38 revolver. I know next to nothing about wheel guns, so a little advice would be appreciated. Any ideas out there?

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Theres a plethora of decent 38 revolvers out there now days. Smith and Taurus have some nice very light weights. There's 357's also but they tend to kick like little monsters and cost alot more money. The heavier you go the prices seem to be less. Guess steel is cheaper than scandium. We have numerous Smiths as backup guns around here. There use to be alot of Taurus's but most have switched to Smiths.
I don't much like the key hole locks on the newer ones, if you go used I'd try to find a pre key needed model. Hammerless or enclosed hammer is good for purse carry, I like the one where it's enclosed but you can still c0ck the thing, I'm still a single action wheelgun man at heart.

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I think Charter Arms is back again also, they were hit and miss for many years. I had a little 44 bulldog which was a great gun, another error when I sold it. Not great for the ladies but I know at least one that had one and loved it.
I can't share an opinion on quality on the new ones as I've not seen one yet.

carguy79
07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Smith is the way to go. The new ruger LCR had me wanting on until I have heard of several with barrels cracking with firing +p loads. Also had a friend that shot one that the pin holding the grip to the backstrap keep walking out. Smiths are tried and true and can be had cheaply if you look in the right places. Gunbroker is a good place to start. My best recommendation is 442 or 642. DAO enclosed hammer and nothing to snag when being drawn. Charter is back like Bawanna said but I have not held or fired one of theirs and the way i see it

ITS YOUR LIFE, how much is it worth to you?????

jocko
07-15-2010, 02:23 PM
you just can't beat a Smith, all others IMO are comparisons to Smith but certainly Smioths are tried and proven. No doubt what I would buy. I stillhave my model 60 from 1972.

getsome
07-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I have a Smith & Wesson 642 .38+p Airweight..Has an aluminum allow frame and stainless cylinder and barrel....Weighs 15 oz and shoots great...I pocket carry it when thw weather gets too hot to IWB my Kahr...This model has an internal hammer and is DAO but is snag free and would be a great little revolver for her....The Taurus revolvers are nice but their customer service and warranty is no where near S&W... I paid $425.00 out the door...

rglbegl
07-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I think guns are a VERY personal item.
She needs to go hold every gun for herself.

As for my opinions . . .
The new Ruger LCR has the best trigger of any revolver . . . .EVER!
So for a 38+p or 357mag, the Ruger is #1 right now.
There are a ton of little revolvers though, so have her go play with them all and make her own decision.
And if money is an issue, forget S&W. They are like Harley Davidsons - Overpriced, but people buy the name

Dietrich
07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
When she was searching for a handgun for concealed carry,my wife fell in love with the S&W 642.After I played with it a little,I went and bought one of my own.Lightweight and hammerless,they are great for pocket carry as well as in a ladies purse.I keep hers loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.Recoil isn`t bad at all but as is stated above,they ain`t exactly cheap.They are exactly top drawer quality.

Steve-$
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
You won't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson 642.

You might want to look at a set of Crimson Trace LG-405 grips too.

IMO the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 38 +P 135 Grain JHP, (Manufacturer #: 23921) is an excellent carry round for this set-up.

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
The crimson trace grips are also an excellent training aid. I put some on my wifes SP101 in 22cal. I anticipated getting a SP101 in 38/357 eventually. That hasn't happened of course yet.
For carry the 642 Smith would win hands down over the SP101 due to the weight.
It is really good for kids and new shooters though. She lets me use it and I often take it to the range just in case we meet someone who can benefit from it.

Ol'coot
07-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I agree with the S&W 642 it is my wife,s favorite gun and she carries it daily. A great gun and surprisingly accurate, The wife shoot it very well and her gun also has the crimson laser grips which she also likes very much.

Jeremiah/Az
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I bought my girlfriend, who is a new shooter, a S&W 637. It is an airweight in .38 spl. I handload light 148 grn. WC for her to shoot. It does have a hammer for dbl. or single action. I really think the pink grips were the deciding factor tho! She calls it her Barbie gun.

n8tureboy
07-15-2010, 08:34 PM
If she wants it for home defense only I'd recommend a Ruger SP101 .357 with a 3 inch barrel, if you can find one. If she's gonna carry it I'd say a S&W 638 or the Ruger LCR. My wife carries the 638 (bodyguard) with the shrouded but not fully enclosed hammer (sweet little gun). The LCR is lighter (13oz) and the trigger is far superior to any other snubbie out there, IMO.

Bawanna
07-15-2010, 09:03 PM
638 is the one I was thinking of. So many models who can remember them all. You can still thumb c0ck if you want but doesn't hang up. Great little gun.

rickmn50
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree that she needs to hold everyone that she is interested in. I personally own a Taurus M85 and Ruger LCR. I would recommend either.

TD2K
07-16-2010, 06:35 AM
When I decided to start carrying, hubby took me to the local range and we "rented" several guns, for me to get a feel for what I liked/disliked.

I shot the hammerless S&W .357. I liked it. Until I fired an MK9.

Game. Over.

DKD
07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I have had so many darn guns, I could open up my own store and still have some left over.
I agree whole heartidly with the others here. A Ruger Sp101 is tough as nails but a bit heavy as are the old Colt detective specials I started my wife out on. I would give the nod to the Smith Bodyguard in either 638 or full shrouded model for pocket or purse carry. By the way just put a spring kit in then and the double action is cut down by over 30%. Mine shoots a several inches high with range ammo at 7 yards though. They also make a model with a 2 1/2" barrel which gives a better site radius and is more forgiving to shoot accurately.

bikerbill
07-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Smith is the answer ... If you have a Cabela's nearby, they are always having sales on Airweight Smiths, I got my 637 for about $450 last year, put a set of Esmeralda grips on and I love it ... with standard pressure .38 JHPs, you have protection and ease of shooting; make sure she practices, since snubbies aren't the easiest guns to shoot accurately unless you hit the range ...

O'Dell
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks. Wow, so many models to think about and they all look alike to me. No wonder I stick with semi's - easier to keep up with. Lynn's not new to guns. She use to carry a Taurus 38, but it "Disappeared". Unfortunately, it disappeared with a cop so she doesn't want to deal with that. I have a bad taste about Taurus and their nonexistent CS, so I'll probable recommend a Smith. No Cabela's in Georgia, but I check out my LGS and see what they have. Thanks again for the help, guys.