PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for/inspect when buying a new Kahr?

alank2
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi,

Tonight I was checking out some more local PM9's. The local store had a stainless and also a black one. I noticed that the black was quite a bit rougher from slide all the way back to forward and the stainless seemed quite a bit smoother. I also checked out a P380 that was considerably smoother yet. Does it make any difference? Do the rougher one's smooth with use?

What do you look for when shopping for a new Kahr?

Thanks,

Alan

RogerP9fan
07-16-2010, 08:07 PM
What do you mean by rougher/smoother? Just the racking of the slide motion or the actual texture of the slide?

alank2
07-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi,

The racking of the slide motion. From fully forward to back and then fully forward again. It seemed much different between the two.

Thanks,

Alan

Bawanna
07-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Assuming they are new they will certainly slick up over time. It's hard to tell if they have any or enough lubrication. They may have none.
If they are used and they feel rough it could be the same issue but I'd be more concerned.
The feel between the 380 and the 9 would be effected by the recoil spring no doubt being some what heavier in the 9.
I think that's a big part of the break in period is smoothing things out and lapping things in so to speak.
I guess we'd have to be specific on your definition of rough also, I wouldnt describe them as rough new, maybe just not smooth????? Ok I'm confused.

RogerP9fan
07-17-2010, 10:01 PM
LOL, even though you're confused, you always seem to manage to help us Kahr Newbies!

Tack
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I look for absolutely no wear and a bone dry gun.

Which means that someone didn't do what they should have done and cleaned and lubed the pistol prior to trying to fire it. :eek:

They then fired 3 rounds, had a malfunction and didn't know what to do. They then took the gun back to the dealer and traded it in. :confused:

I then buy a New "Used" Gun for 100 or more dollars less than what it would have cost a week before. I then take that 100 dollars and put it into ammunition and accessories and walk away a happy man. :cool:

We should make sure that people don't read the prep section so we get better deals on New "Used" Guns.:D

jocko
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi,

Tonight I was checking out some more local PM9's. The local store had a stainless and also a black one. I noticed that the black was quite a bit rougher from slide all the way back to forward and the stainless seemed quite a bit smoother. I also checked out a P380 that was considerably smoother yet. Does it make any difference? Do the rougher one's smooth with use?

What do you look for when shopping for a new Kahr?

Thanks,

Alan

smoother in feel should be better, that being said, quite possably one had some lube on it and the other was bone dry. the DLC black finish I would wantot think would be smoother as that finish is hard,,,, damn hard. I would not worry about either one, as I would break my kahrs in using the PROPPER PREPPING OF OUR NEW KAHR thread. Works for me with any semi I have ever owned...

My P380 kahr was a real bugger to hand rack but after 1500 rounds I can do it with ease now, but at first I couldnot properly hand rack it. got a jam about every other time. amazing what rounds down range with good lube can do for a new gun...

sometimes I think we are to quick to hit the panic button on new guns when they don't work perfect like we think they should out of the box, but normally with a few hundred rounds down range all works out pretty good. I had issues with my Para carry 9 and the service dept people told me to callthem back after I had 500 rounds through it. I didn't particulary care for that answer but darn if they were not right. It worked most of its issues out in that time, but me and the gun just never jived, like I do with my PM9 and K9 and P380...