PDA

View Full Version : BOOM! Ouch....*Warning graphic image*

OldFatGuy
09-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Reload? Wrong caliber? Something went wrong.

Alfonse
09-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I actually wish I hadn't looked at that.

deadeye
09-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I guess it did! No explanation on what happened?

OldFatGuy
09-01-2015, 09:05 PM
No explanation, except the two guesses I posted. My niece posted it on FB. I don't post on FB, so I didn't ask any questions. She just suggested the reload or wrong caliber.

Longitude Zero
09-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Guessing overcharged reload.

ericlosh
09-02-2015, 03:04 AM
overloaded reload and earlier glocks in .40 had issues with partially supported chambers combined with that overloaded chamber means boom.

the boom does not require the partially supported chamber by any means but it did help. Put enough power in your reloads and you will blow up your gun.

CJB
09-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Im nearly certain the gun shown did not cause that injury

Bobshouse
09-02-2015, 06:18 AM

I am with you. Just some more to feed the anti's.

jpshaw
09-02-2015, 06:42 AM
Kinda makes you worry about your Glocks.

OldFatGuy
09-02-2015, 07:49 AM

I wondered about that, but the more I looked, the more I thought yea, that looks about right. I could be wrong, I guess.

Ikeo74
09-02-2015, 08:16 AM
The original poster on facebook can answer all the questions because the picture was taken before medical treatment, so it had to be taken as a selfie or by someone else standing beside the injured person. So a little investigation could bring out all the facts about this injury and blow up.

I guess he could send the gun back to glock for repair under warranty.

OldFatGuy
09-02-2015, 09:19 AM
The is where the photo came from.
https://www.facebook.com/scgnetwork?fref=photo

yqtszhj
09-02-2015, 11:16 AM
That picture makes my head hurt.

muggsy
09-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Just as a precaution I always try to use a powder that will more than fill the case with a double charge. Double charges of fast burning powders is a recipe for disaster. The hand you save may be your own. And likewise, always check that the bore is clear of obstructions before firing your gun.

CJB
09-02-2015, 06:25 PM
The original poster on facebook can answer all the questions because the picture was taken before medical treatment, so it had to be taken as a selfie or by someone else standing beside the injured person. So a little investigation could bring out all the facts about this injury and blow up.

I guess he could send the gun back to glock for repair under warranty.

The original poster is just a re-poster of the image with the warning about "cheap reloads"

The picture is just not consistent with what very very typically happens with a pistol injury.

The line down the palm is very perplexing as there is no corresponding fracture in the pistol.

The index finger is missing, skin and muscle ripped from thumb remnants and middle finger remnants.

In the vast, vast majority of kaboom, the magazine is ejected, and the hand is bruised, sometimes badly, but there is little to actually hold the force of the ejected gasses, and while parts may fracture... they also shield from the gasses.

I really don't think this is a kaboom injury. Firework injury perhaps. Tool injury perhaps, but its just not consistent with a kaboom.

Also not the apparent lack of barrel/slide deformation. Deformation is usually present when there is an obstruction or a fresh round is fired onto a squib.

So, I think we're looking at a case head separation. Certainly possible that a case head could let go and fracture the receiver. But the injury is just not consistent with the parts shown.

I've seen first hand several blown 1911's from overload (ie, compressed charge of Bullseye with a 230 FMJ over it). Not pretty, but no case head separation.

I've seen a Ruger Super Blackhawk let go... right there... as the shooter was uninjured but the guy next to him took a piece of cylinder into his hand. That injury resulted in some loss of use, but not loss of limb.

The picture of the injury and picture of the Glock just don't add up.

CJB
09-03-2015, 03:47 AM
http://www.adjunct.diodon349.com/attack_on_usa/dont_let_this_happen_to_you_guns_should_not_blow_u p.htm

Moderate lacerations described by first hand account of gun pictured in OP

Total BS pairing with severe hand injury shown.

OldFatGuy
09-03-2015, 06:21 AM
Ok, I buy it. That looks like a little more than severe bruising.

knkali
09-04-2015, 07:06 AM

U are good......I agree

TheLastDaze
09-04-2015, 07:44 AM
This is a hokes there is no way that gun caused that injury, period... I've seen guns with squib barrel blow ups where the whole barrel is split like a banana and subject had minot lacerations/swelling....

Some of you guys fall right into the pocket that guns "are dangerous", but yet you should know the only danger is on the business end, but the most dangerous of all is the user... spooky huh?? As muggsy said double charge is near impossible and even so it would merely cause and effect of an M80 going off and you're holding the 'part' that gets blown up, mostly protecting your hand with minor swelling etc....

For those of you that believe this you have a lot to learn and Id suggest you consider the source.. the internet propaganda goes viral by spreading it around, show me some proof is what your daughter should say???? This is a crock..

Oh and btw it doesnt take a handload or re-load to get a double charge or over charge either, Ive seen factory ammo blow up guns as well, or at least thats what I was told, nobodys perfect

muggsy
09-04-2015, 08:15 AM
This is a hokes there is no way that gun caused that injury, period... I've seen guns with squib barrel blow ups where the whole barrel is split like a banana and subject had minot lacerations/swelling....

Some of you guys fall right into the pocket that guns "are dangerous", but yet you should know the only danger is on the business end, but the most dangerous of all is the user... spooky huh?? As muggsy said double charge is near impossible and even so it would merely cause and effect of an M80 going off and you're holding the 'part' that gets blown up, mostly protecting your hand with minor swelling etc....

For those of you that believe this you have a lot to learn and Id suggest you consider the source.. the internet propaganda goes viral by spreading it around, show me some proof is what your daughter should say???? This is a crock..

Oh and btw it doesnt take a handload or re-load to get a double charge or over charge either, Ive seen factory ammo blow up guns as well, or at least thats what I was told, nobodys perfect

I think you misunderstood what I said. A double charges of fast burning powders can cause the failure pictured. I use powders like Unique, because a double charge will over flow most pistol cartridge case. A double charge of Bullseye will fit in most pistol cartridge cases and will generate excessive pressure if fired.
Not to put you down, but it's hoax not hokes

CJB
09-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Joko skule ruels applie