PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that 9mm WWB 115g. are slightly longer?

RogerP9fan
07-17-2010, 10:24 AM
And that's why some people have FTF issues with these? Should 9mm WWB not be used, especially during the break-in period?

ripley16
07-17-2010, 11:02 AM
I've never had any problems with WWB, nor read any quantity of complaints on various forums. The only ammo I've read of and use that caused problems, especially in Kahrs, is the Remmington UMC with hard primers that cause a high percentage of light strikes.

RogerP9fan
07-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Good to know as I await the arrival of my P9 from Buds. Thank you.

Cornhusker
07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I've never had any problem with WWB ammo either and rarely see any complaints on the forum.

mr surveyor
07-17-2010, 12:44 PM
WWB used to be problamatic, according to a few internet jockeys, with certain models of NIB KelTec pistols although I never had a problem with it in my P11 or my PF9. I never considered OAL as being a culprit although it could be in some circumstances.

My CW9 never had a hiccup on any decent quality brass cased ammo, whether UMC, WWM, MagTech, PMC, Rem.....

Actually, since all I will run through my carry guns is quality brass ammo, I've never had the first malfunction of any kind with my CW9, although I've only run a little over 700 rounds through it.

I'd say buy a box and find out for sure if a certain pistol has a problem with it.

And, I do NOT use commie ammo in any gun I place a value on.

surv

rglbegl
07-17-2010, 12:49 PM
If they were longer, they probably wouldn't fit in the magazine.
Have you ever noticed how tight the fit is? Seems like bullets that were ANY longer would not fit.

jocko
07-17-2010, 02:16 PM
it is good ammo, if you have problems with WWB, then IMO u have a problamatic gun also. Winchester knows how to make ammo, . so easy to blame ammo anymore for a guns faults.

RogerP9fan
07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Mr. Surveyor, that's in fact where I heard about the "WWB issue" (from the Kel Tec forum)
Thank God I saw the Light and have chosen Kahr!!!

mr surveyor
07-17-2010, 03:29 PM
RogerPF9Fan

I'm not going to bash KT products as I have owned, and still do own, KT handguns. One thing to consider about the KT handguns is that George Kelgren was on the cutting edge of technology (and reliability) when designing the smallest, lightest handguns on the market. Considering that his goal was to produce the smallest possible "back-up" handgun possible, particularly for law enforcement purposes, he had some major hurdles to overcome. Power to weight ratio being the #1 issue to overcome. I think he's done a pretty good job, considering the number of manufacturers that cloned (Ruger LCP for example) or copied (long list now) his work, particularly the 380 models.

Now, do I like my Kahr pistol..... you bet your a$$! The CW9 has replaced my former PF9 with no regrets. My PF9 was flawless when traded, but the CW9 just works better for me. My wife's KT P32 will stay around. One KT handgun that I regret letting go was my P11. It was a 1996-97 model that I bought used and was a great shooter.

surv

RogerP9fan
07-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Actually, that's RogerP9fan.
I was a member briefly at KTOG and was shocked at reading several stories of major failures of the PF9.
I know they're supposed to be better now, but, wow.....
I feel much more confident with Kahr and all I've been reading. I guess it comes back to 'ol saying, "You get what you pay for."
But I do very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Very helpful.

ripley16
07-18-2010, 04:20 AM
RogerPF9Fan

when designing the smallest, lightest handguns on the market. Considering that his goal was to produce the smallest possible "back-up" handgun possible, particularly for law enforcement purposes, he had some major hurdles to overcome.

surv

Lightest perhaps, but to be accurate, Seecamp is still the smallest. It too was brought about by a need to provide LEOs with an effective, concealable backup.

Great minds think alike, as they say.

jocko
07-18-2010, 08:39 AM
nice to see that some had good results with the kt line. I would never put kt's in the same class as kahrs, nor does the price indicate that either

johnh
07-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I have not measured WWB 115s versus a scientific selection of other brands, but in my experience they are a little long. That tends to make them work well in guns where .38 Super mags are used to feed 9mm, such as Paraordnance P18s and Tanfoglio Witnesses (post large frame switch; before they made dedicated 19 round 9mm mags). YMMV of course. I have used WWB without issue in my K9 and P9.

John

O'Dell
07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
And that's why some people have FTF issues with these? Should 9mm WWB not be used, especially during the break-in period?

I don't know about today, but it was certainly true last year. Three of my 9mm pistols had problems with FTfeeds with WWB including a KT PF9 that would choke on every other round. All three would shoot everything else I tried w/o any issues at all including various defense rounds. At the time I measured the WWB cartridges against Federal, Speer, Remington, and StoneHart, and the Winchester rounds were slightly longer than the other FMJ's. I can't prove that the extra length was the problem, but it was certainly suspicious. I shot up what WWB I had left in my SIG, S&W, and CW9 which didn't have the problem, and never bought any more of any caliber.

kahrseye
07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
I usually use WWB to break in my guns. Have used the 9mm and .45 without issue. One of the least expensive rounds available and it does what it's supposed to.