PDA

View Full Version : FTF with Winchester PDX1 in CM9

Kodiak
09-06-2015, 03:00 PM
A while back I traded a guy an FN9-S for a CW9 w/Crimson Trace lazer sight. The original owner said he had put around 500 "break-in" rounds through it. It is not my main carry gun, so I have not fired it much. But today, I decided to take my M&P9 and G19 out to run some rounds through them. At the last minute I decided to take the Kahr as well. I have shot some ball ammo through the CM with no problems before, but this time loaded up all 3 mags I had with PDX1. Well, it doesn't like them in either 6 or 7 round mags. About every other round would fail to feed and hang up on the feed ramp.

I forgot to bring more ammo with me besides the 10 mags I had loaded with Winchester white box for the Glock and S&W. So, I pulled a few rounds of the ball ammo out of the other mags and put in the 6 round CM mag. It ran flawlessly with those, as it had the last time I had it out. I really like this little Kahr as it is very accurate for me and fits my small hand. So, I was wondering if this PDX issue is common and if so, what self defense rounds do you use?

muggsy
09-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Check to see if the nose of the PDX bullets are contacting the slide release. This has been known to cause feed ramp jambs. You can either used an ammo that the gun likes or remove the offending metal from the slide release.

Kodiak
09-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Thanks muggsy, although I don't feel comfortable removing metal but I will see how much it needs. I have a few boxes of Hydra-Shok I will try tomorrow and see how they do. If they hang up, I may get the nerve to get out the dremel. They look very similar to the PDX1's, so I'm not holding my breath they will run fine.

RonW
09-06-2015, 11:24 PM
I would try different brand ammo & experiment which feeds the best waaaay before I start tinkering around with the pistol..

Kodiak
09-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Well, I tried the Federal Hydra-Shok's and they would not feed at all. It appears they hang up on the feed ramp. I definitely do not feel comfortable messing with that. It is smooth as can be right now, so I would have no idea where to even start removing metal. Looks like this carry gun is going to be using ball ammo only, unless someone has another suggestion. Here is a pic of one of the rounds not feeding....

http://i58.tinypic.com/34y42rr.jpg

jocko
09-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Well, I tried the Federal Hydra-Shok's and they would not feed at all. It appears they hang up on the feed ramp. I definitely do not feel comfortable messing with that. It is smooth as can be right now, so I would have no idea where to even start removing metal. Looks like this carry gun is going to be using ball ammo only, unless someone has another suggestion. Here is a pic of one of the rounds not feeding....

http://i58.tinypic.com/34y42rr.jpg

don't remove any meta. IMO that is the wrong direction to go. I would even though u say the ramp looks smooth give it a good dremel posishing or with some2000 grip paper resmooth that feed ramp. Many times when a gun is sent back to kahr all they do is repolish the feed ramp. If that fails to solve that issue, then just move on to anutter good defense round. 9mm ammo defense rounds gives the best choices of any caliber IMO. I am very fondof corbon powerball, Its +P and feeds like a fmj round. Recheck your magazine out to be sure the spring is in OK and not backwards. Have no idea how many rounds have been thru this gun so if u have a new recoil springs then replace it. It is all about timing with these semi's. I would think It should feed that round OK. Just sayin

go to gunsprings.com (wolffs springs) and order a 3 pak of 5% extra strentgh 7 round mag springs rder #79293 for $17.29. chaper than going direct to kahr and that 5% extra strength u will not notice but it helps get that follower up faster and will last longer. From the photo, it kinda looks to me like the slide is not getting all the way back in time to pick up that round. Might just be the poto angle. mny bet is if you put in a new set if mag springs along with a new recoil spring and polish that feed ramp, u will be just fine..

I would also bet that if u order parrt# 50520 from wolffs that it willfit your cw perfectly.. That is the K9 20# recoil springs. It wont break you to buy one and just count the coils of the old vs the new, (disregard the length) as ur spring has taken a set for sure.

Kodiak
09-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the great info Jocko! According to the previous owner, it has around 500 "break-in" rounds through it. Although the mags and gun appear to have very little use. I did notice that the top round didn't look quite right. I had loaded them with an Uplula, maybe that is the reason. So, just now I loaded the mag by hand and the first round fed, unlike earlier today when I took the pic above. Maybe I will try and load them by hand and take it out again tomorrow. Being retired and living on the edge of BLM is awesome. ;)

muggsy
09-08-2015, 07:38 AM
You might check to see in the mag springs are installed correctly and that the followers aren't broken. Clean the mags inside and out while you have them apart.