PDA

View Full Version : 4 women, 2 men, 2 Glocks, 2 Kahrs, 1 XDS and a PPQ

Alfonse
09-20-2015, 09:19 PM
So, 4 women, 2 men, 2 Glocks, 2 Kahrs, 1 XDS and a PPQ were all at a pistol handling class today.

Is it rare for there to be twice as many women than men at these things, because that is what has happened to me the last couple of times?

My daughter decided to join us relatively last minute. The choices in pistols that I had available that met all the requisite requirements for magazines and a holster were either a Ruger Mk1 or a PM9, so she decided to use the PM9. I was shooting another PM9.

My daughter pretty regular issues with feeding, but others could shoot the gun and it shot fine. When she really concentrated on grip, it would feed fine.

The XDS had the next most issues. The usual issue was a grip problem where the grip safety was not being depressed so the pistol wouldn't fire.

Pretty much every feed issue was operator caused. The PM9 was more difficult to hold onto, and not as easy to hit the bullseye with as a relatively big PPQ or 17 round Glock as I would expect. Of course, the PM9s and the XDS were the only guns there that would likely be carried as well.

It did drive home to me how much more sensitive these pistols are to being held firmly and how I suspect many of the complaints from new owners about reliability may be related to grip. I doubt Kahr services a pistol and sends it back not working very often.

That said, I have to go to classes more often. The women at this class were really pleasant to spend time with...

hardluk1
09-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Sounds a bit like our family get togethers . All have the CC but the grandkids . My smallest girl does not care for my cm9 but can shot well with in reason , a few mags and a brake but racking it is not practical . Oldest girl can rack and shot it well but both have quicker limits with rounds fired . There husbands shot it well , just not loved by anyone but me .

Oldest carry's my old cw9 for CC . My wife hates my 9mm kahrs and the tp40 but is ok withn the ct45 and CC's a m&p9c she CC's and larger 9mm's and my ct45 but everyone likes shooting it . Mt tp40 is not favored in general but the boys have m&p40's for house guns and will shoot it . And my p320 40 is the easiest for all to shot well . Grips not to big for ladys or to small for the guys with a good trigger and controllable recoil . Even my 10 years old grandson will shot it well with standard pressure loads . Grip problems don't run in this group but recoil sensitivity does show with both men and women with several of my pistols . I let the my girls husbands try my dw 357 with a 8" barrel and 170gr at 1400fps and it will make them stop after only a couple shots . I do have mild loads that will run in all but the cm9 that make them more pleasant to shot but standard pressure ammo is what was described except with the 357 . I have some softball 45 loads that the ct45 flips out and off my chest . Enough pressure to lock the slide back but must be close to the low end limit with stock springs .

The girls decided to take a NRA clinic this weekend so there going to get some more practice Friday and are watching a video now ,NSSF Understanding Flash Sight picture shooting .

jocko
09-23-2015, 01:56 PM
So, 4 women, 2 men, 2 Glocks, 2 Kahrs, 1 XDS and a PPQ were all at a pistol handling class today.

Is it rare for there to be twice as many women than men at these things, because that is what has happened to me the last couple of times?

My daughter decided to join us relatively last minute. The choices in pistols that I had available that met all the requisite requirements for magazines and a holster were either a Ruger Mk1 or a PM9, so she decided to use the PM9. I was shooting another PM9.

My daughter pretty regular issues with feeding, but others could shoot the gun and it shot fine. When she really concentrated on grip, it would feed fine.

The XDS had the next most issues. The usual issue was a grip problem where the grip safety was not being depressed so the pistol wouldn't fire.

Pretty much every feed issue was operator caused. The PM9 was more difficult to hold onto, and not as easy to hit the bullseye with as a relatively big PPQ or 17 round Glock as I would expect. Of course, the PM9s and the XDS were the only guns there that would likely be carried as well.

It did drive home to me how much more sensitive these pistols are to being held firmly and how I suspect many of the complaints from new owners about reliability may be related to grip. I doubt Kahr services a pistol and sends it back not working very often.

That said, I have to go to classes more often. The women at this class were really pleasant to spend time with...

she sounds like a worthy rospect for a wheel gun, all of her issues above willnot be there..Just sayin

Alfonse
09-23-2015, 02:07 PM
she sounds like a worthy rospect for a wheel gun, all of her issues above willnot be there..Just sayin

I think she has fired my 686 with 38 special in it. My daughter's issue was that she wasn't providing a strong enough backstop for the pistol to function reliably. She finally firmed up her elbows and held tight and got off rounds pretty consistently in the end. She told me she wants to practice and get good with a PM9. She can be determined and will get it if she wants to. This is the first time she had issues making a gun function. I find it best to let her decide what she wants to do or shoot. She has lots of choices to choose from and is great with a K9. I just didn't have holsters for everything and a holster was required for the class.

I had issues with sight picture, but not while shooting. The class had some beautiful women that seemed like great humans as well.

jocko
09-23-2015, 02:33 PM
I think she has fired my 686 with 38 special in it. My daughter's issue was that she wasn't providing a strong enough backstop for the pistol to function reliably. She finally firmed up her elbows and held tight and got off rounds pretty consistently in the end. She told me she wants to practice and get good with a PM9. She can be determined and will get it if she wants to. This is the first time she had issues making a gun function. I find it best to let her decide what she wants to do or shoot. She has lots of choices to choose from and is great with a K9. I just didn't have holsters for everything and a holster was required for the class.

I had issues with sight picture, but not while shooting. The class had some beautiful women that seemed like great humans as well.

was not questioning you either, any woman can puyll the trigger but the main thing expecially withg all kahrs is that they are not women friendly. Very stout recoil springs, makes it very hard to clear a jam or unload, you know that and I know that but most women just cannot do it reliablally. The ol tap, rack and bang drills are great for any women to, jut get her5 some snap caps and let her work o t6hose drills. If they can't do these drills, then IMO the gun will not be carried, for it is mind over matter, but I have just seen to many women and even some men who just fight kahrs withg the racking of the slide. The PM9 is small in the first place so there is not alot of anything to reallygrap on to. If you at least put different guns in front of her to try out, other than kahrs, then she will do well. The letting her decide wha tto shoot onl;y go so far as to her knowledge of the guns to. If she is a gun nut then indeed she willhae some preferencews, but youy as a shooter should be a guide to her in a way that youyr not promoting your preferences. throw a PM9 down in front of her and show her how to rack etc and how to clear etc, and then sit back and see how she can do it. If she is figthing it i the strength department, then she has answered her own question. again not telling you how to do what, but in my 40- years of selling guns, I just seen to much of hubby bringing in their wives and saying she wants a semi, and not letting her try and feel all the different guns out there. Most women do not have the desterrity to do what we can do with a handgun. Just saying. good luck with what ever she chooses.
My wife just got back with me today shooting 300 rounds , 200 of them through my Glock 43 and indeed she can rack that slide withg ease, and clear with ease. I gave her my PMJ9 and she could shoot it fine but racking or clearing just was not gonna happen.
By the way she outshoot me at 7 yards with the G43 and me using my PMJ9.

Alfonse
09-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Malfunction drills using snap caps were part of the class. She could rack the slide to load a round and manipulate the PM9 just fine, she just wasn't holding it firmly enough. Because of that, she must have done at least a couple dozen extra malfunction drills, some involving dropping the mag, until she figured it out. I'm with you though, I was a bit surprised she could manipulate the pistol's action so well. She shoots my CZs, Rugers, and Beretta (.40 S&W on that one). I can't remember if she has shot any 1911s or not. It was actually a great experience for her. She likes physics, so it was a real life example of how physics work.

I probably should have brought some other options, but I was also shooting a PM9 as well and didn't think to bring anything else. Even an MK9 probably would have worked and that would fit in the same holster.

OldLincoln
09-23-2015, 03:58 PM
I definately agree with the hard to grip of the PM9 given my malfunctioning hands. I considered severly wraping it with friction tape but couldnt find any. Dont have the issue now but for many weak grippers is quite real.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk