PDA

View Full Version : Range report: wife & kid first time

aray
07-17-2010, 11:51 PM
It’s been a few weeks, but I wanted to report on my recent trip to the range with my wife & kid (she’s 11) in tow. It was their first trip to the range as well as their first time to shoot a real firearm.

First, let me say “thanks” to everyone who offered suggestions to me in http://kahrtalk.com/general-discussion/2340-teaching-others-shoot.html#post25167 Your recommendations were great, and helped make their experience much better.

I started getting them ready weeks before, talking up the trip, reviewing the four rules of gun safety, etc. Besides that, we had also been shooting at paper targets in the backyard with an air rifle. That was helpful not just to keep their interest up, but also to help them understand sights and alignment. Thanks to your suggestions, I added balloon targets.

What a blast! (No pun intended.) They really enjoyed “blowing things up” and watching them break. Air balloons were a lot of fun, but by far their favorites were the water balloons. They made a very satisfying “pop” then “splash” as the water dropped off of the elevated stand and onto the deck below. That was really a big hit.

Now on to the range. The one closest to my house has a policy of no targets closer than 25’. Dunno why; I’m guessing it is so you don’t shoot the target clip so close to the line or something. But I had worked with them on holding the gun and sighting it, and was not concerned that they’d shoot so badly that they would be taking out the target clip. Plus this was their first time to the range. I knew they’d score better if the targets were closer, and would thus be more likely to continue in the sport than they would if they got frustrated over frequent misses at a longer range. So I cheated, and started them out at about 10’ and hoped the range control officer wouldn’t notice or wouldn’t say anything.

Following your suggestions, I started them off with a .22 revolver, to ease them into guns with very minor recoil. As I was loading, however, the lady in the lane right next to ours opened up with a 357. Making matters worse, we were in the last lane up against the concrete wall, so the sound & concussion were intense. My daughter flinched and grimaced. Sigh. I had warned her that might happen, but Murphy & I are on first name basis, so I was disappointed but hardly surprised.

Well, I got her through that, and she began firing. She did pretty well for her first time, if I do say so myself. The groups were reasonably tight for a first timer 11 year old, but they were consistently low and to the right. She was pleased & really liked the gun. (She has a very good grip & body stance, by the way. A real natural. She picked it right up.)

Then it was my wife’s turn. She didn’t do as well as my kid with the .22. She had chosen a silhouette target, and most of the rounds landed in the dark area high and to the left, although some hit their mark. But again, it was her first time firing a handgun, much less any real firearm, so it was an acceptable performance.

About that time, the range control officer noticed our targets were in too close. She curtly told us to move them back. I didn’t complain, as I’m assuming (guessing?) there had to be a safety component behind those rules, but I was disappointed.

Then on to the 9mms. My plan was to start with the Beretta 92FS first, then move to the Kahr CW9. The rationale behind that sequence was that the Beretta has slightly less felt recoil than the Kahr, and my daughter was a bit fearful of the 9mm recoil. I had warned her to expect it to be worse than the .22.

I hope I didn’t go overboard, because she only fired about three rounds through the Beretta, and she wanted to quit. I guess it was just too much gun for her. I asked her if she wanted to shoot the Kahr, because before going to the range she had really liked the feel of the CW9 in her hand. Nope, no dice. Well, of course, I knew this was about her & not about me so naturally I told her she could stop any time she wanted, and she did.

My wife, on the other hand, really loved the Beretta. Indeed she shot far better with the Beretta at 25’ than she did with the .22 at 10’! Odd, but life is like that sometimes. I had her on a 10 round magazine, and she placed 7 of the 10 shots into the silhouette on her first attempt at 25'. I was very happy with that performance for a first timer. The Kahr on the other hand – not so much. I think the long trigger pull and her novice trigger technique just did her in.

One final thing. Like the 25’ minimum rule, this range also has a “no pictures” rule. Again, so I cheated a bit, and snuck in cell phone camera. Hey, it’s my wife & kid’s first trip to the range and first time to fire a gun. Now I know why that have that rule: we’ve all seen “hit pieces” on Second Amendment rights by the lamestream media. But come on now, a geezer like me, snapping a couple of pics of his wife and 11 year old daughter on a dated non-smart cell phone camera? Hardly the stuff you’d expect to see from an undercover TV reporter now is it? Alas, Ms. Grumpy range officer caught me again, and was even more stern with me this time. I tried politely to appeal to her common sense, but she was having none of it, so I just let it go. It didn’t exactly ruin the whole experience, but it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. Fortunately I had gotten off a couple of shots before she verbally body slammed me, for which I’m grateful to have been able to record the precious memories. But it was quite sad.

1973 1974

Anyway, overall it was a great experience. My wife loved the Beretta & my kid wants me to buy her a .22 now (we had rented the .22 from the range). No immediate plans to go back (we’re focused on going camping out of state shortly – I get to CCW for my first time – yeah!) but I’m sure we’ll be back soon.

Thanks again for all of your great help & suggestions. They made a good time even better.

Dietrich
07-18-2010, 04:26 AM
Sounds to me as if you had a great time despite a little adversity.I`m happy that both your wife and daughter enjoyed themselves and want to do it again.What kind of .22 are you thinking of buying for the girl?I`m not well versed about .22s but I hear the Browning Buckmark is a good one and easy to maintain.Check with the other guys though.They might have better info.

tv_racin_fan
07-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Nice report and sweet that you took wife and daughter to the range. We ran into a range officer like that on an early trip with my wife. She was not happy and we left which did not make the son happy... However I explained to the wife that it was their range their rules and all about safety and she felt better and the son was ok as well. Better to be extra safe in those situations and have no injuries than to be just normally safe and someone get hurt. A range like working with explosives can be deadly on the very first mistake so extra precautions are understandable. (at least in my opinion)

You might want to double up on ear protection on the next trip. Ear muffs do not neccessarily fit smaller heads very well and they then have a reduced effectiveness. Ear plugs and muffs make that far less painful. Plus the eye protection can mess with the seal on the muffs. Last trip we made I had to rent eyes and ears and I bought extra plugs and the range master said AAHHH you going to double up on the ear protection, very good idea.

Great that you started with a 22. I recently made the first trip with a daughter and her son. I started the daughter out with a 22 revolver and my son started her son out with a 380. Daughter was not doing so well in the begining, I simply asked her how she felt and then gave her a bit of instruction and allowed her to ask any questions. Then I explained to her that it was her first trip and she was not expected to do that badly. Then I showed her where others had shsot the ceiling and the walls and the floor and the target apparatus and explained to her that she at least was on the paper. She laughed said that was true and then did much much better. By the end of her trip she had torn the bullseye all to heck (she did better than my wife who made the excuse the daughter can still see). The daughter shot my wifes CW9 and my Ruger GP 100 357 as well.

The smile on their faces at different times was enough payment to make the fact that I didn't get to shoot much easier to handle. However next time I will take them one at a time because they need better and one on one instruction. I'll let the wife also shoot and we can watch and then critique her form and maybe that will help the daughter and grandson learn.

jocko
07-18-2010, 09:10 AM
if that was 25 feet, I would not think that is to far , 25 Yards would be a total diseaster for this ol man... 10 feet is pretty close IMO, definitely good hearing protectors goes a long way towars enjoying a nice shooting event. Nice that they feel good about being around guns to...

aray
07-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Sounds to me as if you had a great time despite a little adversity.I`m happy that both your wife and daughter enjoyed themselves and want to do it again.What kind of .22 are you thinking of buying for the girl?I`m not well versed about .22s but I hear the Browning Buckmark is a good one and easy to maintain.Check with the other guys though.They might have better info.

Actually I'm having a bit more adversity even now. I made the mistake of posting to a local area gun forum after I posted in here, and the staff members of the range jumped all over me for violating range rules. I had to scan in the published Rules & Regulations I obtained from the range earlier this year and show that it doesn't prohibit photos or set a minimum distance. Apparently they changed the rules and put it up on their web site (which I never read) but since I've been shooting there for two decades and just months ago I had gotten a new hardcopy of their rules with no restrictions like that, I'm hoping I can make them see that confusion on my part is understandable. Plus, as soon as the range safety officer told me to stop doing that, I did. So I guess if I find myself in a similar situation (photos desired or shorter distances) I'll hike myself on over to another more flexible range that is a bit more of a drive. But for my normal shooting, I see no reason to not go back to the local range just because of this one bad incident and RSO; I just have to know that they've changed the rules & deal with it.

As for the .22? I haven't thought about that much yet. I just got my CW9 a few months back and just this week added a Life Membership to the Second Amendment Foundation (to add to my NRA Life Membership) so my gun budget is depleted in the short term. I'll have to rebuild that a bit before I start a serious market survey. But I'm always interested in suggestions for when I start looking around.

You might want to double up on ear protection on the next trip. Ear muffs do not neccessarily fit smaller heads very well and they then have a reduced effectiveness. Ear plugs and muffs make that far less painful. Plus the eye protection can mess with the seal on the muffs. Last trip we made I had to rent eyes and ears and I bought extra plugs and the range master said AAHHH you going to double up on the ear protection, very good idea.

Great that you started with a 22. I recently made the first trip with a daughter and her son. I started the daughter out with a 22 revolver and my son started her son out with a 380. Daughter was not doing so well in the begining, I simply asked her how she felt and then gave her a bit of instruction and allowed her to ask any questions. Then I explained to her that it was her first trip and she was not expected to do that badly. Then I showed her where others had shsot the ceiling and the walls and the floor and the target apparatus and explained to her that she at least was on the paper. She laughed said that was true and then did much much better. By the end of her trip she had torn the bullseye all to heck (she did better than my wife who made the excuse the daughter can still see). The daughter shot my wifes CW9 and my Ruger GP 100 357 as well.

Hearing protection: Yeah, when I started shooting guns as a kid no one around me wore hearing protection. Now that I'm officially a geezer, I'm trying to hold on to what little hearing I have left. So yes, our whole family had both the little squishy ear plugs in underneath the highest dB rated muffs that I could find.

.22: I really have to thank the members of this forum for suggesting that. I wouldn't have come up with that on my own but it was a great suggestion, especially for my daughter.

Hitting the target: I had to laugh when I read that above. Great observation! I wish I had thought of that before. I would have used it with them that day. Every range I've ever been to has the roof all shot up and I'm always wondering "How the heck did that happen?" And you're right - I'm just happy that they got all of their shots on the paper on their first trip out. Really, they exceeded my expectations by getting some reasonable groupings for first-timers (kid on the .22 and wife on the 9mm).

Thanks again to all.

noslolo
07-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Wow great job, and great pics! I have started to set aside some .22LR for a trip to WV with my kids and my best friends son. It will be his first time shooting, so I am extra excited! I hope it turns out as well as your trip!