PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr owner

Wilros
09-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Couple of weeks ago I bought the CW9.

Reason I bought it is for concealed carry. I looked at a couple of other brands in the CW9 class but chose the Kahr simply because the way it felt.

I am not new to pistols as I have three 1911s (9mm and .45) and a couple of Springfield XDs (4" barrels).

I must say, the CW9 is a whole new shooting experience - much different from my other pistols.

First 50 rounds were a challenge - hitting low and left. Second 50 rounds somewhat better.

Finally getting the hang of how to grip, hold and squeeze the trigger of the CW9.

I have about 175 rounds thru it now. Absolutely flawless without any failure to load, fire and eject. The pistol is beginning to smooth out.

Disassemble is a breeze.

I can see that I have to "learn" the CW9 and any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

yqtszhj
09-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on the new pistol. You bought one if the best kahrs in my opinion.

Just keep shooting it and you'll get used to the trigger.

Alfonse
09-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Welcome! It sounds like you are on the right track to me.

Droolguy
09-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Sounds pretty normal for someone making the SA to DA transition.

Don't over grip the gun, many people drop the muzzle anticipating the bang and squeeze really hard when they "think" the gun is going to go off.

Don't anticipate anything in DAO, just pull the trigger and let the gun firing surprise you. (Technically this is proper shooting technique for all guns, it's just more noticeable in a DA with the long trigger pull.)

If the trigger pull is a bit heavy for you, you might try switching to a point and shoot grip (index points down the frame rail, middle finger pulls trigger), people tend to be pretty polar on middle finger shooting though.

Wilros
09-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Sounds pretty normal for someone making the SA to DA transition.

Don't over grip the gun, many people drop the muzzle anticipating the bang and squeeze really hard when they "think" the gun is going to go off.

Don't anticipate anything in DAO, just pull the trigger and let the gun firing surprise you. (Technically this is proper shooting technique for all guns, it's just more noticeable in a DA with the long trigger pull.)

If the trigger pull is a bit heavy for you, you might try switching to a point and shoot grip (index points down the frame rail, middle finger pulls trigger), people tend to be pretty polar on middle finger shooting though.

Thanks, Droolguy: middle finger on trigger makes sense and I will give it a try this coming week. I have been using 115 gm ammo - any significant difference when using heavier?

muggsy
09-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Forgedaboutit. The best use of your middle finger is to grip the pistol, or to give an Italian salute. If your index finger isn't parallel to the bore you'll hit where your finger is pointing and you won't have good control of your gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjil10f6LeI

Droolguy
09-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Forgedaboutit. The best use of your middle finger is to grip the pistol, or to give an Italian salute. If your index finger isn't parallel to the bore you'll hit where your finger is pointing and you won't have good control of your gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjil10f6LeI

...and that's what I was talking about.

People are, eh, polar about middle finger shooting.

I have practiced both ways, but muggsy is correct that you will loose some grip strength because your strong finger will be pulling the trigger.

I would also generally agree that the majority of people do better using their index finger.

It works for some people and not for others just like stance (Weaver vs. Isosceles) and non-firing hand grip styles (Cup vs. grip).

Also, I forgot to mention, never ever try middle finger shooting with a revolver. Exhaust gasses from the front of the cylinder can cause severe injuries.

Unless something is actually unsafe I would never take anyones word for anything in shooting, try it yourself and if you don't like it, don't use it.

Firearms are all about what works for you, not the other guy.