PDA

View Full Version : Caught in the rain

03dime03
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Caught in the rain with my new pm9 that I just received last week. Any advice on doing a thorough cleaning and lube.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

jocko
07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
wipe it down and just shoot it like you stole it. clean as u would if it was new out of the box, It ain't gonna rust up on you.

03dime03
07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you for your help. I have read alot of your posts and they are very helpful.

aray
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
wipe it down and just shoot it like you stole it. clean as u would if it was new out of the box, It ain't gonna rust up on you.

jocko, I agree the gun is fine after a clean & lube but what do you think about the ammo? Mil spec stuff ought to be water proof (ask the SEALS) but what do folks think about commercial grade self defense ammo? I've heard you need to seal the area around the primers to be water proof. So: keep, or downgrade & toss in the range bag for target practice only?

jocko
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
jocko, I agree the gun is fine after a clean & lube but what do you think about the ammo? Mil spec stuff ought to be water proof (ask the SEALS) but what do folks think about commercial grade self defense ammo? I've heard you need to seal the area around the primers to be water proof. So: keep, or downgrade & toss in the range bag for target practice only?

I get your point. for me anyways, I shoot my defense magazine rounds out of the gun at least every two weeks. I like to keep fresh ammo in the gun at all times. In your case shoot out the magazine and just reload with your normal defense ammo. I would not seal or try to seal out the ammo, hell who knows, u might screw something up and get a misfire. Most of this commercial grade ammo will shed water pretty damn good, so I would not loose to much sleep over it but in doubt yup "shoot the magazine out"

You would be surprised of the people that clean, oil their gun and laod defense stuff in the magazine and it sits for a year never fired. Humm, wonder where some of that oil and grease that one lubed his gun with went?????

alot of LEO carry a totally dry gun, for they know most all guns even dry will shoot a few magazines with ease. glocks for sure can shoot damn near dry. I never tested my PM9 that way. I certanly have shoot a half dozen magazines out of my dry K9 with zero issues. I jsut prefer to lube my guns somewhat but there fore I also empty my defense magazine every couple of weeks because of that to.......

error on the side of caution especially if it is your defense gun..... rang e guns can be drippingin oil and won't harm anything as u well know.

mr surveyor
07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
my daily carry in the field is a S&W 637 Airweight.....it get's covered with sweat, gets rained on, and is exposed to all the "nasties" that a land surveyor can be subjected to (numerous). I carry 2 CCI shot shells forward of three Federal jhp+p's, and have never had a problem with any factory ammunition that was subjected to a little wet down. I may actually shoot the stuff and load up fresh every couple of months, when I think about it.

There have been many, many DIY experiments by folks that wanted to test the durability of good, factory ammo. They have immersed rounds in plain water, salt water, motor oil, and other fluids for days to weeks. After reading the results of these "tests", I don't think you would be worried about ammunition that was subjected to a little rain exposure.

just my experiences

surv

racuda
07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I was picking up brass the other day from the edge of a lake on my property. I found a couple of .380 rounds in about 3 inches of water. They had been there for 2 months. Of course I chambered them. They fired fine.