PDA

View Full Version : Reduced recoil setup for CW40

BuckRimfire
10-24-2015, 01:05 PM
My primary interest is in large-frame revolvers and duty-size autos, but I'm tempted to get a smaller pistol. The Kahr CWs are interesting since the descriptions I've read of the trigger action would suit my preference.

I enjoy crafting a broad range of velocities in my handloads: for my 10 mms I have recoil springs from 6# to 22# and ammo to match, although I mostly shoot at the heavy end of the scale. In a tiny gun like the Kahr, I'd probably prefer shooting more light loads. Are any light springs available for the Kahr to swap in for the powder-puff cartridges? A glance at their website seems to say "you can have any color, as long as it's black" when it comes to spring kits.

b4uqzme
10-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Check out the Wolff website to see if they have what you want. They make the Kahr OE springs too I believe.

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29

RonW
10-26-2015, 12:02 PM
I absolutley love my CW40. I used it for IDPA as well as my primary carry. If you are going to choose a CW series Kahr pistol then I would suggest the CW40. Try it out first before thinking about swapping out recoil springs. Using 180 grain target loads, the recoil is very controllable, 9mmish IMO. Now Kahr does suggest that you change out their recoil sprinsg after 2,000 rounds and although I have about 1200 thru min, I went ahead & ordered one from Kahr when I placed my order for a Trijicon front night sight for it. Kahr does not offer other weight springs.

I've ordered from Wolff springs & been all over their web site... They do not have springs for the Cw series pistols, only for the K & MK's. They do however have "general purpsoe" springs which are designed to be custom fitted. You may want to give them a jingle & talk to one of their reps and maybe they should be able to help you.

Droolguy
10-26-2015, 03:05 PM
I swap between the 18.5lb wolff and the stock recoil spring on my MK9 regularly. I use the 18.5 for lighter ammo (115gr or less) and it works wonderfully.

I am not sure but from everything else I have been able to interchange on Kahr's firearms I would not be surprised if the recoil springs were universal between same-barrel-length guns as far as fitment.

Anyone have a CM9 or PM9 recoil spring assembly laying around? I can stick it in my MK9 and see if it functions.

In theory it should be exactly the same as my wolff 18.5.

If it holds true then any K or MK series recoil springs would be able to be swapped into a PM or CM series.

jocko
10-26-2015, 04:55 PM
I swap between the 18.5lb wolff and the stock recoil spring on my MK9 regularly. I use the 18.5 for lighter ammo (115gr or less) and it works wonderfully.

I am not sure but from everything else I have been able to interchange on Kahr's firearms I would not be surprised if the recoil springs were universal between same-barrel-length guns as far as fitment.

Anyone have a CM9 or PM9 recoil spring assembly laying around? I can stick it in my MK9 and see if it functions.

In theory it should be exactly the same as my wolff 18.5.

If it holds true then any K or MK series recoil springs would be able to be swapped into a PM or CM series.

the K recoil spring is a one peace loong spring, The PM and CM series is a captive two peace set up. I seriously doubut if they can be swapped. Just sayin One I think would pay hell trying tosqueeze a K recoil spring in a PM gun, certainly poundage can e the same for diameter also plays a part and being the PM and CM series is of captive (two springs) they can achieve this same weight. Not sure why one would wantto try any of this as recoil sprngs are not expensive, so why not order what fits that exact gun. Wolffs makes all of kahrs springs, so they are not junk by any means and a couple thousand rounds whould last any recoil spring, which for many if a lifetime of shooting..Just sayin

Droolguy
10-28-2015, 11:57 AM
I would like to point out that the MK series spring is a captive two piece, and is dimensionally identical to a PM series.

The K I would venture to guess is probably the only gun that doesn't conform to Kahrs standardized productions because it's older and they haven't seen fit to change it.

Either way, you would do it just because your curious.

Not everything needs a physical purpose, some things you just do to learn whether or not they work.