PDA

View Full Version : Body Armor for Xmas

Scarywoody
11-30-2015, 06:22 AM
So it's Christmas time and I'm shopping for the family. I've really been thinking about buying Body Armor for the wife and son (29). With all the recent unrest and active shooter situations it got me thinking. I was looking at Second Chance IIIA vests. Anyone have one/some and would you have any advise?

muggsy
11-30-2015, 06:31 AM
I think that body armor is a bit over the top. It doesn't protect you from getting shot in the head. The chances that your wife and child will ever need it is practically nil.

Arkansas Bob
11-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Woody! I think I would move somewhere this is not an option I would even think of. Bob

berettabone
11-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Grenades???????????????????????:o

Bawanna
11-30-2015, 09:00 AM
I agree with the above. BUT if you do it anyway, get it ordered to fit perfectly. If it don't it won't get worn and its about as useful as the gun you leave at home in your sock drawer.

b4uqzme
11-30-2015, 09:28 AM
I just can't see me walking around every day wearing armor. Not that it wouldn't be a good idea. Anything can happen any time or anywhere. Maybe it would be good to have armor for everyone at the house in case the stuff hits the fan.

This kinda reminds me of when my BIL bought an underwater fishing camera. Now that's a guy who must already have all the fishing gear he truly needs. :D

berettabone
11-30-2015, 10:57 AM
I had one of those, more like a fish finder..................................castable.. .........................worked like crap.

Bawanna
11-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Might be nice to at least see em or know that they are there even if your not catchin em.

Fished with lots of kids that like to fish for what they could see over a hot spot that produced but you couldn't see em.

yqtszhj
11-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Hey ScaryWoody, if you actually live or work "IN ATLANTA" I understand. My folks live over there and its not like it was 30 years ago and it wasn't that good then.

Get the body armor if you like but you need 14 or 15 rounds with you all the time. Good luck and get the heck out of the gang infested metro-ATL area if possible.

JohnR
11-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I had a meeting with someone from the local Islamic Center who wanted to use my professional services (I only met out of courtesy, no way in hell I'd work for them). I would swear he was wearing body armor. His shirt had a "bump" to it where a protective vest would be. Very weird.

So it may not be as odd as we think...

berettabone
11-30-2015, 12:39 PM
I think that the odds of something bad happening to him, are probably a bit higher than your average Joe.............................................

JohnR
11-30-2015, 12:55 PM
I think that the odds of something bad happening to him, are probably a bit higher than your average Joe.............................................
Why? They're the terrorists, not us. He's an older guy, not a young military-aged male, and he wears normal business attire. You wouldn't think he was a terrorist by his appearance.

berettabone
11-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Then he must be paranoid.......................................... ................or made some enemies..............................

wyntrout
11-30-2015, 04:28 PM
I have German Military Kevlar helmets and some gas masks, but no body protection... chemical or projectile, and I would get some AR500-based armor, but no money. :(

The AR500 plates will stop most everything up to .308 and 30-06 armor-piercing ammo... and last longer than Kevlar.

The helmets are in our emergency shelter and also for storms and tornadoes... good head protection.

I can see Blount Island and the cranes for the container handling from my house. All of the military aircraft go through the Marine Station at Blount Island for shipping to the Sandboxes.

Wynn :)

Scarywoody
11-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Hey ScaryWoody, if you actually live or work "IN ATLANTA" I understand. My folks live over there and its not like it was 30 years ago and it wasn't that good then.

Get the body armor if you like but you need 14 or 15 rounds with you all the time. Good luck and get the heck out of the gang infested metro-ATL area if possible.

When I do go in to Atlanta, Glock 19 or 23 and two spare mags.

Scarywoody
11-30-2015, 06:35 PM
I had a meeting with someone from the local Islamic Center who wanted to use my professional services (I only met out of courtesy, no way in hell I'd work for them). I would swear he was wearing body armor. His shirt had a "bump" to it where a protective vest would be. Very weird.

I did a search prior to posting and read your experience with that "project".

Barth
11-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Don't really like talking about stuff like this on the internet.
But you guys are sort of like family to me.
For home defense, throwing on a vest seems like a fine idea.

OldFatGuy
11-30-2015, 07:05 PM

A bullet proof vest? A suicide vest? do they look anything alike under clothes?

wyntrout
11-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Don't really like talking about stuff like this on the internet.
But you guys are sort of like family to me.
For home defense, throwing on a vest seems like a fine idea.

I only have a brick façade in the front and the rest of the house is HardiPlank that won't stop anything, so body armor would be nice, but I just can't afford any at the moment.

In a SHTF situation, we would be screwed defense-wise, anyhow. The NS Mayport and container-handling port facility areas are sure to be a prime targets.

We'll have enough food and water until we're overwhelmed. I know that there will be a lot of ammo left... besides the piles of empty brass! :)

IF we had the money, I would go much further west and away from large cities.

berettabone
11-30-2015, 08:08 PM
That's why my wife and I purchased property up nort in the boonies. I'd like to live out the rest of my life in peace, without having to burden my mind with the worries in the city.

Barth
11-30-2015, 08:19 PM
That's why my wife and I purchased property up nort in the boonies. I'd like to live out the rest of my life in peace, without having to burden my mind with the worries in the city.

It's a nice dream.
But sometimes anywhere, anytime, when you least expect it - trouble comes to call.
Being ready all the time is just how I live.
Maybe that's just me?

JohnR
12-01-2015, 06:33 AM
A bullet proof vest? A suicide vest? do they look anything alike under clothes?
Excellent question - some kind of bullet proof vest, not a suicide vest. ;)

It looked like a really really really thick undershirt, whatever it was.

berettabone
12-01-2015, 07:17 AM
It's a nice dream.
But sometimes anywhere, anytime, when you least expect it - trouble comes to call.
Being ready all the time is just how I live.
Maybe that's just me?
I realize that but......................................up nort, there lives my neighbors, and many many gun lovers who will back me up, unlike the spineless liberals who surround me in the city. They walk around in a daze, and truly believe that nothing bad will ever happen to them. Maybe? Silly fools..........:).

wyntrout
12-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Yep... they want to leave guns to the "professionals"... military overseas, law enforcement, government, and criminals.

downtownv
12-02-2015, 03:32 AM
These have become popular in the gun-free school zones.

http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-backpack-shield.html

Scarywoody
12-02-2015, 08:10 AM
These have become popular in the gun-free school zones.

http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-backpack-shield.html

I had read up and considered a briefcase plate system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s9Qz9axfjo

Armybrat
12-02-2015, 08:31 AM
When I do go in to Atlanta, Glock 19 or 23 and two spare mags.

Is that really enough "throw weight" for Atlanta? :D

Armybrat
12-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Well, according to what I see on TV, zombies will be walkin' all around your backwoods place.

berettabone
12-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Well, according to what I see on TV, zombies will be walkin' all around your backwoods place.
We're already prepared for em.................no one has less than 3 acres, and right behind me, is 80 acres of wilderness to go into.:)