PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day

500KV
09-26-2009, 08:04 AM
This seems almost too simple but works great.

If you need to do some minor polishing/buffing/ smoothing insert a Q-tip in your Dremel or drill, and with a little metal polish, it saves a lot of sweat and elbow grease.
Picked this tip up on another forum BTW.
Credit where credit is due.

sgrizzly
09-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I like your idea, but using "Bar Keepers Friend" mixed with water to make a paste of the desired consistnecy and polish!:;)

Cappy
09-26-2009, 04:55 PM
This seems almost too simple but works great.

If you need to do some minor polishing/buffing/ smoothing insert a Q-tip in your Dremel or drill, and with a little metal polish, it saves a lot of sweat and elbow grease.
Picked this tip up on another forum BTW.
Credit where credit is due.

I have to say I have used both the old hand rub method and the fast dremel with polishing cone method, and I have to say I feel I get better results from the old fashioned way. I guess it boils down to what you feel works best for you. The old hand rub process is a lot slower, but you can smooth the ridges and rough surfaces without removing any more than necessary. You can also reset the pattern up and down on the ramp, which is harder to do with the dremel. As I said it is choice by each person. ;)

ltxi
09-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Simichrome...Dremel...polishing tip...gunsmith touch

diver454
10-04-2009, 06:22 AM
does this in any way void the warranty?

scrapperid
10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
if you just polish the feed ramp, Diver, and then send back to Kahr, they won't notice, they will just think they did it right.

ltxi
10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
if you just polish the feed ramp, Diver, and then send back to Kahr, they won't notice, they will just think they did it right.

Nailed that one....:D

Cappy
10-14-2009, 08:04 PM

I would have to say they would keep records of such work. If you were to send your gun back, I am guessing they would pull up the records based upon the serial number. If sent your gun to them and they noted secondary work, I am thinking they could use that to not cover some issue under warranty. However, I am guessing if they don't see that the secondary work caused the issue, they would still honor the warranty. :cool:

ltxi
10-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I cannot believe simply polishing the feed ramp could cause any warranty issue. But, In all fairness, the key point is "simply polishing the feed ramp". If you don't know what you're doing...do not try this at home.

I've known folk who didn't understand that scrubbing the hood of their their car with a Brillo pad to get rid of the bird dirt/tree sap wasn't a good idea until after the fact.