PDA

View Full Version : What ammo for CW45

Allenof5
12-22-2015, 07:39 AM
What would be the best ammo for the CW45? I know I am going to have to figure it out by shooting different ammo just want a starting point. Also any reloaders on here have good recipes that work good for them

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

JohnnyRS
12-22-2015, 07:46 AM
So far I've used Winchester white box, Perfecta from Walmart and Remington UMC, with no problems from any of them. I have Federal Personal Defense for my self defense ammo. I've only shot eight rounds of that to test it, but again no problems.

Sent from my XT1254

CJB
12-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Shoot the hottest stuff you can find for the first few boxes. After that, whatever floats yer boat

marshal kane
12-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Any name brand standard velocity 230 gr. FMJ ball ammunition for starters. If it's good enough for government work, it's good enough for me.

sharpetop
12-22-2015, 08:40 AM
I've shot Blazer Brass, WWB, Remington, all 230gr fmj for practice. For self defense ammo I've shot Winchester, Federal Hi Shok and Federal HST, again, all 230gr. I load it with the HST for social purposes.

kwh
12-22-2015, 06:56 PM
My CW45, all hardballs 100%. H.P. not so much. My most dependable carry round, tested by shooting weak hand only, is CorBon PoweRBall.
Kahr has a tight chamber. Test reloads for "drop-in" fit before going to the range.

shlike
12-22-2015, 07:21 PM
My main range/practice ammo is Freedom Munitions 230 gr. new or reman. My primary CCW/Carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. GDHP. I tried the +P God Dots, but it was just to snappy and uncomfortable to shoot in my CW45, but I have found the non-+P's to be just right. I buy this ammo from SG Ammo or Ammunition Depot in 50-round boxes for around $27.00 per box. The boxes are marked "Law Enforcement Duty Ammunition.

GLOCKROCKER
12-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Mine eats everything I feed it and has from day one. I carry it with HSTs. The only issue I've experienced is with Hornady CD being hard to extract a live round. This was when the pistol was new, I haven't tried them again since it's broken in. I attributed this to the tight chamber as kwh mentioned.

TheTman
12-23-2015, 07:23 AM
I never found any brand name ammo with brass case that mine wouldn't eat, after it was broken in. I had been using Hydra Shoks as my SD ammo, but recent ammo tests posted by Muggsy have caused me to rethink that decision. I would probably go with HST or Gold Dot's now. For range fodder is was almost 100% WWB or the 250 round bulk back of UMC. Either worked fine.

DougGuy
01-01-2016, 08:07 AM
I can tell you from experience, Speer 230gr Gold Dot is flawless! Hornady 230gr XTP +P SUCKS! I have 3 of the Hornady rounds that after carrying them for a while as my primary SD ammo, failed to fire! Pulled the gun out of it's holster to test fire after months of carry, CLICK! :shock:

The Speer Gold Dot never failed once. Last night, NYE test firing after months of carrying daily, went off with a lout BANG! This round from the CW45 goes easily 8" into red clay and performs textbook perfect.

These photos are from the July 4th test fire, and illustrate how well the Gold Dot performs in the red clay of North Carolina:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Kahr%20CW45/SpeerGoldDotSoilTest7-4-2015_zpsyf4bj0w4.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Kahr%20CW45/SpeerGoldDotSoilTest7-4-2015_zpsyf4bj0w4.jpg.html)

CJB
01-01-2016, 08:23 AM
What would be the best ammo for the CW45? I know I am going to have to figure it out by shooting different ammo just want a starting point. Also any reloaders on here have good recipes that work good for them

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm old school, but its most likely best to use 45acp ammo in your CW45. Just sayin'!

sas PM9
01-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Maybe I'm old school, but its most likely best to use 45acp ammo in your CW45. Just sayin'!

A5 and CJB:

You know, that was my knee jerk first reaction to his question too. However, I have learned to read ALL the posts and count to ten first; to formulate an answer that may have been overlooked.
I notice that A5 asked for "recipes" too; in addition to what type ammo might be "best".

If in fact A5 is asking for "recipes", it is important for us to ask what is his intention? Plinking, break-in, target practice, hunting or just what?

So, A5, give us some more information on just what you are wanting an answer to.

-steve

trentu
01-02-2016, 06:54 AM
I did my usual tear down and polish on mine and it eats about everything except conical hollowpoints. Shoots Black Talons well. I would suggest cleaning very goodl after shooting the Tulammo. Dirty stuff. I practice with 230 gr FMJ reloads or WWB. Use kwh's advice on drop in chamber test for your reloads.

CCWNY1
01-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Any one have problems or success with Federal Guard dog 165gr EFMJ in the CW45?