PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Day

muggsy
12-31-2015, 01:39 PM
Can a two term president run for vice president? Say Bill Clinton or Barack Obama? :popcorn:

getsome
12-31-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm going to say no because if the elected President were to die in office it would put a previous President now the V.P. in office again which would violate the 22nd amendment......BUT with Barry anything's possible when you can make up the rules as you go with Executive Orders bypassing Congress....

FYI, the news says Obummer will be issuing an Executive Order next week on gun control before the State of the Union address so he can crow about it.....Not sure what it will be or how far reaching but expect tighter background checks and no more private sales without a 4473 form and possibly assault weapon restrictions or a return to the 1995 ban....Who knows what that clown will do in his final year to secure his "Legacy"

Armybrat
12-31-2015, 02:22 PM
The answer is yes. A former two term president can later serve as vice president, and could be elevated back to the presidency if the #1 is no longer able to serve. Nothing there violates the 22nd. he just can't be reelected a 3rd time as president.

Amendment XXII

Section 1.

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2.

This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several states within seven years from the date of its submission to the states by the Congress.

Bobshouse
12-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Can a two term president run for vice president? Say Bill Clinton or Barack Obama? :popcorn:

Answer to that is a definitive "NO". The reason is anyone running for President with either of those two as his/her running mate would lose, hands down.

getsome
12-31-2015, 02:42 PM
I figured this was a trick question.....The real answer is, nobody seems to know and if it were to happen it would take the Supreme Court to figure it out and since Barry has pictures of John Roberts at Jockos sheep farm in his back pocket, who knows what they would rule.....

CJB
12-31-2015, 05:25 PM
The answer is yes.

Correct. And there is no limit to the number of times he can serve as VP.

Technically speaking... if he could get the Pres to step down... he could go on as Pres (from being VP, ad infintum).

O'Dell
12-31-2015, 06:34 PM
No! If I'm not mistaken, there had already been a ruling on this. Jamie Dupree discussed it on one of his newscasts.

Bawanna
12-31-2015, 06:56 PM
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Armybrat
12-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, Bubba Bill should be going on trial along with Cosby.

CJB
12-31-2015, 07:24 PM
No! If I'm not mistaken, there had already been a ruling on this. Jamie Dupree discussed it on one of his newscasts.

Well go find it, cuz the language is pretty damn clear in Amendment 22

Planedude
01-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Right On Bob!

I personally think the American public would dislike such pandering and manipulating enough to give a landslide victory for "the other guys..."

O'Dell
01-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Well go find it, cuz the language is pretty damn clear in Amendment 22

I have read the 22th amendment, and I agree that the key word is "elected". However, Jamie said some federal judge ruled that in this case, that the "spirit" of the amendment would be violated - sorta like the anti-gun nuts and the 2nd amendment. I don't necessarily agree, but that's what was reported.

CJB
01-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Well.... thats what needs to be found. If there was a ruling, its out there!

Barth
01-02-2016, 07:39 PM
I'd like the law changed to;
A prior president or first lady can never hold any public office for the rest of their lives.

OldLincoln
01-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Technically MAYBE. The SCOTUS would definately be involved before the election (unless slipped in a couple days before).

Article II says who is eligible to be president
That is natural born citizen, age, etc.

The 12th Amendment says anyone constitutionally ineligible to be president can not be vice president.
Again natural born, age, etc.

The 22nd Amendment says no one can be elected president more than twice.
Key word is ELECTED. If a VP serves out the remainder they are still not elected Pres. That's why a VP moved up can still have 2 full terms if they haven't served before.

muggsy
01-03-2016, 06:48 AM
As I read our constitution the issue isn't covered. It will be interesting to see how the SCOTUS would rule on the question. That's another reason that the next person elected president should be a strong conservative who will protect and defend the constitution instead of legislating from the oval office. Someone with a good background in constitutional law. Someone who has testified in support of the constitution before the Supreme Court. Someone like Ted Cruz.