PDA

View Full Version : P380 and Remington UMC

TimtheRef
01-15-2016, 09:52 PM
The last two boxes of ammo of this type have caused multiple issues. I have had about 5-8 rounds per 50 not for. When I ejected the round there was a clear and deep indentation on the primer. Most of the rounds went band if I put them through again. Cleaned striker channel and did the pencil test, so I don't think that's the problem. And I've never had trouble with this ammo before. Just a bad batch? Any ideas?

sharpetop
01-16-2016, 02:14 PM
My CW9 had this issue when I first purchased it. Long story short is that I finally replaced the recoil spring after trying some other things and the light primer strikes went away. I believe the original was a weak spring, not allowing the slide to completely go into battery. The new one [free from Kahr] was much stiffer than the original, allowing the slide to go forward a bit more robust. Email Kahr with your issue and tell them you would like to try a new spring before sending the gun in.

dustnchips
01-16-2016, 04:20 PM
The first fifty rounds through my CW380 were UMC and I had a few return to battery failures. I put fifty rounds of WW through with the same amount of problems. I then cleaned and did a bit of polishing and put another 100 UMC through. I had no problems during the shots 101 through 200. I never did have any failure to fire problems. Deep striker indentions sounds like the gun is doing it's job and the problem is with the primers. Even quality suppliers occasionally have a problem. Sharpetop's problem sounds like the slide may have been a fraction short of full battery and the stronger spring drove it home. I do not know that much about these guns as I just recently purchased mine. Just a guess.

TimtheRef
01-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Here's some pics of a round that didn't fire after two strikes. Hopefully helps with diagnosis.

bonjorno2
01-16-2016, 08:34 PM
i'd say that's a bad round... no reason why it shouldn't have ignited that primer

SmokyT
01-17-2016, 10:34 AM
From the photos it appears to be a faulty round (i.e., primer) to me also. The indentation is deep and strong, indicating that it is not a striker related problem that has been reported by other members.

FWIW, my most recent squib load was from Remington UMC .380acp 88gr JHP 100 rd value pack that I picked up from Wally World. As far as factory fresh ammo goes, they are amongst the cheapest I can buy locally, and I shoot them a lot. But in terms of quality, they are what they are. For .380, I've had better luck with CCI Blazer aluminum case.