PDA

View Full Version : Still loving my CW45

VAguy
07-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Got a chance to shoot my CW45 again yesterday, every time I do the more I like it. Continues to run flawless through ~350 rounds. Cleaning and lubing the pistol afterwards is not a chore, more something I look forward to, lovingly taking care of her like I should.

Both of my buddies liked the way it felt in their hands, but neither could shoot it very well, them being 1911 guys. Each time they would miss the target with a mag full I would step up and have hit after hit. Not hating on the 1911 crowd, just shows that a different trigger takes a bit of getting used to. I almost think they were squeezing the trigger too slow, as smooth as it is you just have to pull but not jerk it.

The jury is still out on my wives CW45, the one that has been back to Kahr twice. Still need to get her back to the range so that she can start using the pistol as intended! I am confident that it will be right this time....I mean it has to be, right?

-VAGuy

wyntrout
07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Maybe... my PM45 has been back three times... the last to replace the crummy replacement slide I got on the second visit. It took three trips to the range after my tinkering, before I declared it ready for carry again. But, there has been a big change in the grip required to keep the PM45 happy. Now, anything less than a tight, focused two-handed push/pull grip will give me a stove-pipe. Last range trip I had two stove pipes... one at round # 76 and the second at round #107 out of almost 150 rounds of mixed ammo... all 230-gr and the last 9 were my carry ammo the Bonded Remington Golden Sabers. I did this on video and could see the extra muzzle rise and slight twist to the left on the stove-pipes... clearly indicating that I had let up on my grip and/or wasn't focused enough.
The PM45 was more demanding to shoot now than before the last trip back to Kahr. I used to let the muzzle rise and not have to control the pistol as much. I can't shoot it one-handed or with my left hand at all, even two-handed. I hope that improves or gets less demanding as the springs break in more. I've fired about 500 rounds since it came back in three trips to the range. I'm a little worried about FTF in critical situations, but maybe adrenalin will help.
What I'm getting at, is that your wife's grip could be a big factor in any problems. Have you shot hers, and she yours on the same range trip to compare them and see if it's the shooter?

Wynn:)

VAguy
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
What I'm getting at, is that your wife's grip could be a big factor in any problems. Have you shot hers, and she yours on the same range trip to compare them and see if it's the shooter?

Wynn:)

Good question.

The answer is yes, not the shooter.

[Edit] a bit more info since I brought it up....the problem with "her" pistol has been a failure to reset trigger, never any stovepipes, FTEs or FTFs. We still need to test it after getting it back from Kahr more than a month ago.

500KV
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
My CW45 is 100% (finally).

The trouble began with light primer strikes: Back to Kahr. They replaced the barrel, test fired, etc.

The gun was better *for a while* but the light strike problem started again after about 100 rounds: Back to Kahr. They replaced the slide and frame this time so basically a new gun.

I've now run ~ 500 rounds through the gun and it has functioned perfectly, so hopefully the problem is solved.

I will say this: While the gun did have problems initially, their CS has been all anyone could have asked for, shipping both ways, quick turn-around, etc.

I've also noticed that a lot of people have teething problems with Kahrs that IMO will simply go away after the gun has more rounds through it. Obviously some problems won't clear themselves, but many will.

Mine (I also have a CW40 and a PM9 that have been 100% from the get-go) all run better the more I shoot them.

Also, mine don't like light loads. The stronger the load, the better they run in my experience.

Good luck with yours VAguy. I'm sure they'll get her right.:)

wyntrout
07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Good question.

The answer is yes, not the shooter.

[Edit] a bit more info since I brought it up....the problem with "her" pistol has been a failure to reset trigger, never any stovepipes, FTEs or FTFs. We still need to test it after getting it back from Kahr more than a month ago.

Good. I figured you would have tried that. I hope the problem is fixed and you BOTH have happy shooting when it returns.

And, Dang. I missed the edit until I just saw your quote above. I don't like when the text of our messages gets placed on top of the signature and "missed" or ignored. I sometimes add a few carriage returns and then a period (.) to keep those from getting run together.
Wynn:D