PDA

View Full Version : The Revenant

DanTana
02-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Watched this movie over the weekend and came away very impressed with it. At times just as exciting to watch as Star Wars except with flintlock rifles, bows, tomahawks and knives. Taking place in the 1820's it seemed to be very true to historic references. Following a group of fur trappers who became the object of the local Indians search for the missing daughter of the chief. What happens for the next 2 1/2 hours will keep you pretty much on the edge of your seat. There are some slow moments but I was nearly always waiting for what is coming next, and it is not always expected. Without giving up any spoilers, I recommend if you have 2 1/2 hours to kill and want to see a very well done movie about a early time of our country, this is a must see. The impressive scenes of landscapes and sometimes the lack of music is what makes this movie draw you into the action. Hearing the horse breathing heavy has it gallops away and hearing the Indians surrounding the camp to attack and the bear and it's cubs in the woods add to the intensity. These events would be ruined with a loud soundtrack covering it up. Leonardo DiCaprio could win his first Oscar for his role as Hugh Glass, and Tom Hardy should win an Oscar for his portrayal of John Fitzgerald. This movie has 12 Oscar nominations for good reason. If you can't see it on the big screen it is a definite must see rental.

http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/the-revenant

OldFatGuy
02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I watched it. The bear was awesome! Looked real. But when I saw the Hollywood, I got bummed. Flintlocks had one shot, not 3 or 4. Oh well, it is a fine production.

DanTana
02-07-2016, 04:49 PM
There was definitely one scene where I thought, how did he reload that pistol? But, I thought a lot of times they carried two pistols on them. So, I left it at that. But the few times where he was reloading the musket, that was fairly realistic, but I didn't quite get why he put the ammo in his mouth then spit it in the barrel? I guess it was faster that way?

Bawanna
02-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Probably to lube it up some?

Armybrat
02-07-2016, 06:39 PM
A fellow on one of the other gun boards said he made the flintlocks for that movie. Apparently they didn't ask him to review how they were to be fired, but he enjoyed seeing his work on the big screen anyway.

dsk
02-07-2016, 08:37 PM
You mean to tell me Hollywood managed to make an action movie where nobody runs in slow motion away from a huge fireball? I'll gladly take a semi-auto flintlock as long as I don't have to see another one of those clichés again.

OldFatGuy
02-07-2016, 08:42 PM
There was really just one scene, he shot his pistol, ran and jumped on a horse, and shot again. I just got bummed.

DanTana
02-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Probably to lube it up some?
I didn't think of that, plus it would be easier to keep the shot in your mouth and save a hand for reloading? I not an expert with black powder weapons by any means.

That was the scene I was talking about too, I liked how that tomahawk flew by his head just missing him. I didn't see him reload that pistol, so I thought he had a second pistol? I liked how they didn't have any music in that scene and all you heard was the horses, the indians and the arrows going by. Hearing the horse breathing heavy has it was running away , then cry out when it got hit with that arrow, added a nice realism to the scene.

TheTman
02-07-2016, 09:30 PM
I guess it wasn't uncommon in flintlock days to carry a "brace" of pistols, 2 or more, depending on you line of work. I've seen old pirate paintings where they had 4 or more holstered in a bandoleer that went over one shoulder. I could see a mountain man having at least two loaded and ready to go while they were out working, since they were so slow to reload, and Indians or other trappers weren't always friendly. I'd be tempted to carry at least a couple, and have more on my horse, along with another rifle. Especially if I was alone a lot of the time.

OldFatGuy
02-07-2016, 10:05 PM
You have to see the movie. I really don't think he had another pistol, and I don't think the horse was saddled, so nothing there either. I think it was a blooper.

Barth
02-08-2016, 02:46 AM
I was disappointed that the full story of what happened to the Indian girl was never revealed.
Her story arc was integral and ran the course of the movie.
Also the ending seemed strange.
And the semi-auto guns were hard not to notice.
Still a good movie though.

DanTana
02-08-2016, 04:17 AM
The daughter was being held by the French when Glass had stole the horse, she was also at the river with her father at the end and they rode past Glass.

Barth
02-08-2016, 06:18 PM
The daughter was being held by the French when Glass had stole the horse, she was also at the river with her father at the end and they rode past Glass.
And what happened in between?
Inquiring minds would like to know.

Tpepper70
02-08-2016, 07:59 PM
She had been stolen and raped repeatedly by the French. My wife and I really enjoyed it and plan on adding it to our collection. A few bloopers here and there, but not deal breakers.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

Barth
02-08-2016, 08:16 PM
She had been stolen and raped repeatedly by the French. My wife and I really enjoyed it and plan on adding it to our collection. A few bloopers here and there, but not deal breakers.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

I agree a really good movie.
But filling the blanks about the girl makes sense to me.

Tpepper70
02-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Yeah. Kinda left you having to figure out what happened. Was a little lost about her for a while.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

Armybrat
02-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Well, maybe they'll do a sequel about the girl?