PDA

View Full Version : My Newest buy from Bud's

Planedude
02-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Ahhhhh... Remember being young in the sixties and seventies. Our parents trusted us to do some cool things and own to cool things that would make the new parents of today heads explode.

When my Dad came back from Vietnam in January 1971, the USAF decided his next duty station would be K. I. Sawyer AFB in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Before those orders came down, none of us had ever heard of an upper peninsula before...

Our family left Texas (where we stayed while Dad was at war) and arrived in the U.P. right in the middle of a blizzard at 2am in the morning. I didn't know what to think, but I had already figured out that (much) snow sucked. After we settled in, my new friends told me that a strong boy, not afraid to hustle and work, could make some money shoveling the white stuff. After the next big storm, I made the first ever "hard earned" money in my life.

The first thing I ever mail ordered was soon on its way. From an ad in Boys Life I purchased a Trumark WS-1 slingshot for a whopping three bucks. It took over three weeks, but one day my Dad and I came in the door finding my Mother looking less than happy. My Mom was somewhat crossed when she asked my Dad, "why in the heck do you need a slingshot" (I am a Jr so the box seemed to be address to my father), "Nope" I said "that's me" and snatch the prize out of my shocked Mothers hand. My parents asked how this came to be mailed to our house and I laid out every step I had made for that. They laid down some very basic, common sense safe usage rules and turned me loose with my "almost-a-gun" slingshot. That thing went everywhere with me, other than school and I was soon a crack shot with it. In the U.P. they mine iron ore. The best stuff is long ago gone but the mines produce an ore know as Taconite. When processed for shipment, taconite is spun into small Iron marbles up to a half inch in diameter. A most excellent slingshot ammo and available by the ton along any railroad track in the county. That spring I made friends with my Buddy John, a fellow slingshot shooter. His Dad was an NCO with the base hospital and he was able to supply the best tubular rubber bands that you could ever want. Those wrist rockets had the power of a rimfire rifle out to fifty yards.

Good times!

Fast forwarding to today, my interest in slingshots was recently rekindled. My daughter called to ask dear Dad to help her find a "fancy non-firearm" for her Husband. He needed a "cat remover" and wanted either a crossbow or a slingshot. Due to some recent bad press on pets vs. crossbows in the area, I recommended the rubber band type slingshot. The Son-in-law loves it and shoots it out side the remote gas drilling sites that he works. I decided to relive my own youth and buy another basic wrist rocket so he and I can shoot together when he is in town. I tried to buy from the Trumark web site, but accidently found that Buds Gun Shop had them in stock and about Seven bucks cheaper than Trumark itself. Go figure.

A check of eBay found someone who could have five pounds of taconite pellets delivered to my door. It was like old times when my wife brought me the mail and asked "what the heck did you buy from Michigan, rocks??" and I had to sheepishly reply "well yeah, they kind of are rocks". So now I am once again armed, gunpowderless, but dangerous. These days you'd say I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse...

Anyone else here grow up a fervent rock slinger in the good old days? Any others find themselves shooting with rubber today?

No real point to this thread, I just had to share the smile. Peace

CJB
02-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Qualified armorer here!

Can smooth up that trigger!

greg_r
02-15-2016, 02:03 AM
I carried a slingshot as a youth. Made out of wood and rubber from tire innertubes. Still carry one today. Not the fancy wrist rocket, but a standard one that takes surgical rubber. I still use them to take small game. Usually use the big bag of marbles from the dollar store as ammo, but have a coffee can full of ball bearings the mechanics at work save for me.

Surprising to most how effective they can be.

gb6491
02-15-2016, 05:26 AM
Nice post up Planedude...I enjoyed reading it, thanks.
Have you ever watched the "Slingshot Channel" on youtube? His early videos show some nice traditional slingshots he made...his current videos show some that are more exotic: https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave
Regards,
Greg

CJB
02-15-2016, 05:50 AM
Btw, if you have ftf or fte... Be sure to follow the fluff and buff.

muggsy
02-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Being a biblical scholar the story of David and Goliath always fascinated me. I discovered early on that you could launch a snowball almost a hundred yards with two pieces of twine and a handkerchief. This led me to the study of external ballistics and a star was born. :)

yqtszhj
02-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Cool. I like this fellows video too

https://youtu.be/9ieWrWLjii0

berettabone
02-15-2016, 09:57 AM
I used to spend a lot of time up nort.........................Taconite pellets laying all over by the thousands. We all had wrist rockets. Free ammo................take a squirrel or a bird, right out of a tree. It got dangerous when we discovered ball bearings. Makes for a very nasty weapon indeed........................put it through a car door......................................

Armybrat
02-15-2016, 12:12 PM
What, no waiting period? No license to carry?

How about aftermarket grips & leather, or a rail for a red dot? Does Wolf make sets of rubber bands with different grades of tension?

Baklash
02-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Lived on a small 40 acre farm as a kid. Spent lots of time in the woods searching for the perfect wood to make slingshots and bows. Had to use strips of auto inner tubes for the slingshots. Too bad my kids and grandkids never got the opportunity. Can't fashion a slingshot out of a gameboy or a cell phone.

RRP
02-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Your story brought back memories, Planedude. I messed around with slingshots quite a bit as a kid. I was not blessed with an endless supply of taconite ammo, so I had to get more creative. Ball bearings and marbles worked great when I had them, but these were not something I could afford. So, I turned to pebbles and tin can lids. When launched horizontally, those lids would fly like saucers--out-of-sight! I had a blast launching lids into the next county until one didn't clear the slingshot and nearly severed my thumb. That was the end of tin can lids and the end of the slingshot for many years.

Planedude
02-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Good stories and some real interesting links. I thank y'all for sharing. The thing I remember most about growing up around slingshots was that shooting them came with life long lessons...

One example, I had gotten to be a pretty good shot, I was out in the piney woods showing off for a few friends. I made some impressive long shots that day and some super fast, close up "snap shots" on pinecones. Suddenly one of the guys spots a shiny green bug (beetle??) on the trunk of a large pine tree just 12 to 15 foot away and he said "bet you can't hit that...". Seeing what he was pointing at I snapped off a pellet at full draw. I hit the bug square, it exploded like I'd used an RPG, the shot also blew an inch and a half circle of bark off the trees trunk and then finally the pellet ricochets back at me catching me at the bottom of my left side ribcage. Felt like somebody had smashed me with a ball peen hammer and it left a heck of a whelp and bruise.

Life lessons, Know what your really shooting at (not the bug but the TREE) and the potential for ricochet, it also demonstrated that this weapon was as dangerous as my parents had told me it was.

Wait... My Mom could be right about something so boyish as a slingshot??? Had to hide the rib bruise for a couple of weeks so she would never know (and I wouldn't hear "I told you so").

Another time I was ready to make a long shot and was supremely focused on the target. I have always used a left hand hold and shoot with the slingshot laid sideways (before it was "gangster cool" to do so mind you), So with perfect target focus I made my draw back to my right ear lobe and pow! I got a big slap to the chin when the bottom rubber tube failed at the fork. That sucker punch really rattled some teeth...

Life lessons, shooting glasses are about more than looking stylish and it is vitally important to inspect your arms before using them. I learned that without maintenance, the weapon can be a hazard to more than just the target!

One of the places I found on the web recently was talking about slingshot marksmanship. The author believed that if a person was a good pistol shot, then that person should find themselves to be a good slingshot marksman. If that's true, then for me I guess the opposite is true. I was quite a good slingshot marksman as a boy and I later took to pistol shooting like a duck to water.

I guess that gives me one really good reason to teach my grandsons how to shoot a slingshot well once they get old enough! Peace

Barth
02-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Had a Wrist Rocket.
Can't confirm or deny what I might have done with it.
Hey, I was a kid?!?!?:p

BTW I used steel ball bearings.

DeaconKC
02-23-2016, 08:25 PM
I can attest to the fact that marshmallows fired from one semi explode on impact! Stings really good too!

muggsy
02-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Cool. I like this fellows video too

https://youtu.be/9ieWrWLjii0

A true point shooter. See, it can be done. :)

Ken L
02-24-2016, 06:46 AM
I grew up in North East Wisconsin, small town with railroad tracks running thru it. Trains came from the UP of Michigan loaded with taconite pellets, so there were plenty along the tracks. Wrist rockets were almost mandatory for all the guys in town. Good times, great memories.

By the way, the "Danger High Voltage" signs on the power poles were great gongs for those of us armed with wrist rockets and bb guns. Unfortunately we had one in the back yard. One day, after mowing the lawn, my dad asked me what happened to it. I was honest and told him, and it resulted in me being grounded for a week from using the bb gun or wrist rocket. Didn't stop me after the grounding period was over. I mean once the sign is all shot up, how much worse can it look, right? And more importantly, who can tell?

jeepster09
02-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Btw, if you have ftf or fte... Be sure to follow the fluff and buff.

Ya...and no limp wristing!

Planedude
02-24-2016, 08:40 PM
I can attest to the fact that marshmallows fired from one semi explode on impact! Stings really good too!

Wow Deacon, Marshmallows?? Had never thought of those as ammo. I'll bet there was a campfire nearby when using Staypuffs for ammo was discovered.

Ya...and no limp wristing!

Yeah jeepster, Our buddy Danny had an old Whamo slingshot made out of oak and a younger sister who thought she could shoot it. A Limp wrist and an ill timed (wrong ended) release resulted in a swollen nose and later a black eye. Danged if the three of us boys didn't have some fast talking and heavy explaining to do with Danny's mom once we got her home. She was a mother of teenagers and a high school teacher...
Mrs. D, well, she could give you that look... Yikes!