PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 45ACP

Lotus1967
02-15-2016, 04:38 PM
New to Kahr and am waiting for the phone call from my dealer to come pick up my TP45. Like many others, it came from Bud's at what I think is a great price. Regardless, I'm a happy camper.
I have loaded 45ACP for a long time, but never for shooting in a Kahr. Are there any "special" tricks or weeks I should be aware of? I load mostly with Clays, but from time to time will play around with Bullseye or Unique. Don't know if I can, but would like to use Ranier 200r. coper coated lead. I've read on several posts than I should not use lead with the Polygonal barrel as fouling is difficult/impossible to remove. The Ranier is a price decision but certainly not worth ruining my gun. Any comments/help?
BTW: I already taper crimp everything.
Last question... With a truncated copper coated 200gr Ranier and a 200gr. Speer JHP what should be my best COL for the Kahr 45?
Thanks in advance.

Bawanna
02-15-2016, 05:15 PM
The main concern will be the COL. My PM45 requires just a smidgen shorter OAL than my other 45's.

I'd just wait till you get the gun and do the plunk test and see if your standard loads work or get stuck in the forcing cone.

I've heard lead in a polygonal barrel is a pressure issue more than a build up issue.

Heard that you could shoot 1000's and have it blow up on 1001 or never so I'm not sure what to believe.

Rainier coated bullets should be just fine.

I use Precision Delta myself but I haven't loaded in quite a spell, haven't been shooting much as I'd like and have plenty of ammo for the time being.

muggsy
02-16-2016, 06:31 AM
You should only used jacketed bullets in guns with polygonal rifled barrels. I've used plated lead bullets without any problems. Hard cast lead bullets are a no no.

CJB
02-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Besides Glock and Kahr saying so... why Muggs?

I have FN, and Walther pistols with no such admonishment from said parties. Only that lead may require more frequent leaning (alluding to accuracy).

Whats the real story with this?

greg_r
02-17-2016, 07:06 PM
You should only used jacketed bullets in guns with polygonal rifled barrels. I've used plated lead bullets without any problems. Hard cast lead bullets are a no no.
I have always wondered why? In the unpleasantness of 1861 to 1864 the marksmen in gray used the Whitworth rifle. They had polygonal rifling, I'm pretty sure they used cast and not jacketed?

Bobshouse
02-17-2016, 07:41 PM
I'll tell you why. Wish I would have saved some or taken a pic or two. The lead was so thick around the throat of the bore it came out in sheets, almost looked like gold leaf. Another guy told me "oh, its cool to shoot lead, just make sure you fire a couple of jacketed bullets to clean the barrel." Please don't do that either!