PDA

View Full Version : Loaning guns

Tpepper70
02-28-2016, 08:41 PM
I have a friend and his wife who are getting into shooting. They don't have a lot of experience with guns, but have taken some classes, shot several and have asked a lot of questions. Renting is hard when only one works and money is tight, so I let them borrow my CM9 to shoot a bit. They were with some family friends and had about 5 different guns to shoot. My CM9 was definitely the smallest, but they loved it. I've never really thought of loaning a gun to someone to shoot, but I feel the more people who want to shoot and carry, the better. Plus, none of the people there had ever shot Kahrs. Getting the word out. Glad I was able to help out.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

Ikeo74
02-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Loaning guns can get you in a lot of trouble. I "never" loan a gun. If they need a gun to shoot, only let them shoot your gun only when you are present. You bring the gun, you take the gun back to your location. They do not get to have possession of your gun. A lot of bad things can happen with your gun in another person's control when you are not there. You are responsible for whatever happens. Maybe they have a negligent discharge and someone is injured and they claim your gun was defective and caused the accident or the ammo they shoot blows your gun up. You are responsible for liability for accidents and can be sued. Don't loan your gun......... As you said they have family members with guns so they have access without yours.

b4uqzme
02-29-2016, 04:55 AM
^^^ +1. I am happy to let anyone shoot any of my guns but I wouldn't let someone borrow one for any length of time. I feel it is my duty to keep each firearm under my supervision.

Tpepper70
02-29-2016, 05:15 AM
I complete understand the concern. I would not loan anything to someone I don't trust.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

muggsy
02-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Trust has nothing to do with it. Liability has everything to do with. Loaning a gun is asking for a lawsuit. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Barth
02-29-2016, 08:05 AM
I agree with going to the range and let them shoot your guns.
But loaning is out of the question.

I would make an exception for two best friends that are like family to me.
Even then it would have to be extreme circumstances.

Tpepper70
02-29-2016, 08:06 AM
I agree, and he is a real good friend. I wouldn't loan anything out to just anyone.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

Bills1873
02-29-2016, 08:14 AM
No way loaning! Shoot with me any time, but don't ask to borrow my gun!

berettabone
02-29-2016, 08:46 AM
NO LOANING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MONEY OR FIREARMS.......................................... .......................you could be my best friend on the planet, and unless I'm there, it ain't happening.

Barth
02-29-2016, 08:50 AM
NO LOANING>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MONEY OR FIREARMS.......................................... .......................you could be my best friend on the planet, and unless I'm there, it ain't happening.

I'm really with you on that.
Just have two friends I've known for over 20 years.
Stuck by me through thick and thin.
They say blood is thicker than water.
But those two are exceptions in my life.
Both like brothers.
It's an anomaly.

berettabone
02-29-2016, 08:53 AM
It's a good way to lose friends and piss off relatives........................................t he relatives, I don't care so much:p

Bawanna
02-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Lawyers again. I'm taking down my free loaner sign when I wrench on folks guns.

berettabone
02-29-2016, 09:08 AM
I've heard people say that they can't afford a firearm, or can't afford to shoot. Then I see a 60" television, 2 computers, and fancy cell phones. It's all about priorities....................................

Barth
02-29-2016, 09:17 AM
It's a good way to lose friends and piss off relatives........................................t he relatives, I don't care so much:p

If someone asks? They get nothing.
I had good friend loan me a gun.
I didn't ask, but I accepted.
Extreme circumstances.

If I had a really good friend in need?
Extreme circumstances.
I might loan them a gun.
But they know better than to ask.
I'll do what's right.:cool:

Bottom Line 99.99% of the time?
No Way!

SlowBurn
02-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Loaning guns can get you in a lot of trouble. I "never" loan a gun. If they need a gun to shoot, only let them shoot your gun only when you are present. You bring the gun, you take the gun back to your location. They do not get to have possession of your gun. A lot of bad things can happen with your gun in another person's control when you are not there. You are responsible for whatever happens. Maybe they have a negligent discharge and someone is injured and they claim your gun was defective and caused the accident or the ammo they shoot blows your gun up. You are responsible for liability for accidents and can be sued. Don't loan your gun......... As you said they have family members with guns so they have access without yours.

this. ^^^

ltxi
02-29-2016, 03:28 PM
I have a half dozen guns out on long term loan. All but one to sister and bil who lost all theirs in a fire last April. And all to carry permit holders. Loan vice gift because laws allow amongst permitted folk without transfer/paper. I will also loan a firearm short term to a good gun folk person friend with a permit. Other than those/that no freakin' way.

Armybrat
02-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Loaned my Marlin 336 to a fellow teacher/coach in 1969 so he could go deer hunting.

After he complained that it wasn't sighted in and finally got his deer, he returned the gun without giving me so much as a taste of the sausage he had made up from it.

Never loaned another gun again.

Bawanna
02-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Loaned my Marlin 336 to a fellow teacher/coach in 1969 so he could go deer hunting.

After he complained that it wasn't sighted in and finally got his deer, he returned the gun without giving me so much as a taste of the sausage he had made up from it.

Never loaned another gun again.

That's just wrong right there. I'm sure there's a law dealing with that.

My dad made me, emphasis on made me loan my early Winchester 94 to my step brother for hunting.
He thought he'd make it more handy and show appreciation for the loan by drilling the forend for a sling stud!:crazy:
Of course with the magazine tube going thru the forend he only got about 1/4" and hit the metal and has a WTF moment.

I had a sling attachment that was made to fit over the tube I could have put on if the wasn't such a moron. I patched his disaster and still have the rifle. My dad divorced his mom and they are both gone now and he lives far away so shouldn't be any repeat scenarios.

I could write a book about all the genuinely stupid things that guy has done on hunting trips.

muggsy
02-29-2016, 05:40 PM
"Never a borrower nor a lender be." Ben Franklin. Ben knew his stuff.

AJBert
02-29-2016, 06:32 PM
I could be convicted of a felony for loaning a firearm out, regardless of whether family or friend. Such is the power of the liberals on the front range as they outnumber the rest of the sane people in this state. That being said, I'd never loan out any firearm but has been said I'll let some use one in my presence. I let my cousin's son use one of my .270's last year for hunting with me alongside him.

CJB
02-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Just substitute out car, truck, motorcycle for gun. Run all the same arguments, scenarios, and such. See how that turns out.

skiflydive
02-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Do you trust him enough to loan him your wife? Nuff said

Bobshouse
02-29-2016, 07:00 PM
My dad always told me that there are 3 things in life that you never "lend out".

1. Your wife.
2. Your toothbrush.
3. Your gun.

My dad was a wise man.

Tpepper70
02-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Dang you guys are good. Been trying to keep up with this and it just takes off. I completely understand the arguments and know the ramifications of what could possibly happen if something went wrong. I really appreciate all the replies this got and respect all opinions. Mine may be a little different, and that's OK. It's what makes the world go round. Thanks again guys, especially for not flaming a newbie on this forum too bad. God bless folks.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

yqtszhj
02-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Do you trust him enough to loan him your wife? Nuff said
True story. I know a guy that met a girl online and asked her to move in with him. He went to help move her stuff and her husband was there helping him load the truck. He didn't catch on that it was probably a bad idea. Well he learned soon enough and she was gone.

Next thing he did was meet a girl in Russia online, Siberia actually, went to see her over there, carried a ring, brought her here, and married her. They've been together over 12 years too. Not bad looking either (the guy is a short and wide fellow not much to lokk at if I do say so myself).

Oh, I forgot to mention he lived with his mother during the whole thing and I swear I'm not lying.