PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle an agressive home invasion

Allen
03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
With all the increased news about criminal home invasions I got to wondering just what I'd do if someone (or several ones) were trying to kick in one of my entry doors in order to gain access to my home. Whether at night or daytime, which seems to be happening in central Oklahoma quite often, would I shoot while they were still kicking or wait till they actually entered then let loose with whatever I had managed to grab by then. Or try to order him or them (assuming to be a him since no shes have been in the news) to stop thinking maybe I wouldn't have to shoot but knowing they would more than likely get out of jail with a hand slapping and maybe return again for another try.

Any thoughts, or hope not, any actual experience with this sort of thing. And adding to the theft problem our illustrious knowledgable Oklahoma legislators (and governor) passed a law raising the cost of a crime before it becomes a felony from $500 to $1,000. I've noticed vehicle breakins have also increased lately. Now if they don't steal more than $1,000 it's just a misdeanor with no jail time so why not give it a try.

RRP
03-07-2016, 03:00 AM
Allen,

Yes, this is a topic I've given much thought to. And, in order to understand it better, I've studied the topic under Massad Ayoob and Andrew Branca. I highly recommend both. However, if you can't make time to attend a traditional class, Branca's online course would answer all your questions. More importantly, Branca will teach you the laws specific to Oklahoma. This is much safer than taking advice from an internet-know-it-all, or from an expert from a different state who knows nothing about OK laws.

Here's a link to the online course. http://lawofselfdefense.com/online-training/

Knowing use-of-force laws for our own state is a critical step in avoiding conviction and financial ruin if you ever have to use a weapon to defend your life.

kenemoore
03-07-2016, 03:00 AM
If you order them away, will they come back later, hoping you're not home, or not ready? In my state, we cannot legally shoot through the door, in some states you can. Step 1, time permitting, I would call 911, leave the line open, yell that you are armed. Step 2, if they came anyway, then they would get their just reward. (depending on time, might have to go straight to step 2).

greg_r
03-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Unfortunately I have been in this situation. I work away from home and keep an apartment near work. It's in a low rent area, which unfortunately means a not so good neighborhood. Fortunately the landlord has added security features it the doors and windows. One night I heard someone trying to gain entry through the back window, easy pickings as I believe they thought nobody was home. I took position in the bathroom whitch provided me cover and gave me a view of the entry door and both windows, called 911, advised them what was happening and that I was armed. Police response was quick and they caught the two young men who were trying to gain entry.

Regardless of state or local laws, I believe the best defense is to make your home an un-inviting target. Harden your doors and windows. Buy time and let the authorities handle the situation if possible.

muggsy
03-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Perfect. You did exactly what would have done. Take up a covered defensive position and call the cops.

CJB
03-07-2016, 08:35 AM
I was broken into in about 86 or so. I was loading 9mm ammo at the time! Had the puke sit on the ground, hands on his head, at the end of a HiPowers barrel. Called cops. Directed them realtime, and cleared my pistol and put it on the floor, as directed by them....as they beat his face into my cabinet handles. Less mess than shootin him.

knkali
03-07-2016, 10:12 AM
I was broken into in about 86 or so. I was loading 9mm ammo at the time! Had the puke sit on the ground, hands on his head, at the end of a HiPowers barrel. Called cops. Directed them realtime, and cleared my pistol and put it on the floor, as directed by them....as they beat his face into my cabinet handles. Less mess than shootin him.

Glad that went well. Good job! Talk about the wrong house, wrong guy at the wrong time.......

CJB
03-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Yah, he was drunk off his gord, looking for beer and a bottle opener. Not his day. He did get a free police car ride! And a nice warm place to sleep. I got a cabinet handle full of nose meat.

berettabone
03-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Since we have the Castle Doctrine up here, I would tell the wife to slide onto the floor from the bed, and if possible, I would give her the phone to call 911, and then I would do a meet and greet. If anyone had something in their hand when coming in, it would be their last day. If not, I would have them get down, or be shot. Would have the wife tell dispatch that I am armed. If we were still up, we have firearms strategically placed for just that scenario, which would be right underneath us. As fast as they can get in, we will be ready.

Bawanna
03-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Being deaf as the proverbial stump I'm severely handicapped (I cover all the handicapped bases) in the hearing department at night without the hearing machine plugged in.
I rely on visual cues which is usually the wife jumping up and down while holding my 1911 out for me to grasp.

If alone they could hold a party with loud music, they'd have to bring their own stereo, don't have one myself and I'd probably never know it happened.

In polling most police officer prior to and after being employed by same the general consensus is to keep conversation with said bad guy to absolute minimum or no conversation at all. If you got somebody with you, wife, mistress, etc, they can call and give 911 the play by play.

Don't shoot through the door ever, don't matter where you are, not good.
Once the door/window _________enter point of entry here is crossed, all bets are off and unleash hell at the slightest possible act of aggression.

Probably still be in trouble, that's what lawyers cause and are for but always cheat, always win in the fine words of Clint Smith.

Barth
03-07-2016, 04:04 PM
In Florida, if someone breaks into your home?
It's pretty much open season.
I don't know about AZ?
But generally speaking, my house is a Roach Motel.
They can check in, but they can't check out.

jeepster09
03-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Being deaf as the proverbial stump I'm severely handicapped (I cover all the handicapped bases) in the hearing department at night without the hearing machine plugged in.
I rely on visual cues which is usually the wife jumping up and down while holding my 1911 out for me to grasp.

If alone they could hold a party with loud music, they'd have to bring their own stereo, don't have one myself and I'd probably never know it happened.

In polling most police officer prior to and after being employed by same the general consensus is to keep conversation with said bad guy to absolute minimum or no conversation at all. If you got somebody with you, wife, mistress, etc, they can call and give 911 the play by play.

Once the door/window _________enter point of entry here is crossed, all bets are off and unleash hell at the slightest possible act of aggression.

Probably still be in trouble, that's what lawyers cause and are for but always cheat, always win in the fine words of Clint Smith.

Exactly....why would you want to ruin a good door? Plus my home guard will show them......

b4uqzme
03-07-2016, 05:29 PM
A bajillion different things could happen. But I know for sure I would err on the side of staying alive.

greg_r
03-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Since we have the Castle Doctrine up here, I would tell the wife to slide onto the floor from the bed, and if possible, I would give her the phone to call 911, and then I would do a meet and greet. If anyone had something in their hand when coming in, it would be their last day. If not, I would have them get down, or be shot. Would have the wife tell dispatch that I am armed. If we were still up, we have firearms strategically placed for just that scenario, which would be right underneath us. As fast as they can get in, we will be ready.
The issue I have here is the "meet and greet". That hints of hesitation. Could be fatal to you. We have castle doctrine also. If someone forces entry into your home you can assume the internet is to cause you bodily harm. We are also protected from civil or criminal actions.

In my situation I have no doubt that I would have done what was necessary, and immediately, but I'm letting trouble come to me, not going looking for it then asking "are you trouble".

Allen
03-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Appreciate all the responses, which pretty well confirm what I think I would do. Stand fast till they came through the door then either they would be on the floor or attracting a load or two of 000 buck shot/slugs from my 20 gauge if I had time to grab it but a couple of 9mm rounds from my Kahr if time had gotten very short.
I had always heard nothing gets a BG's attention quicker than hearing the action on a shotgun working in the dark, but I hope he never gets close enough to hear it first.

SlowBurn
03-07-2016, 07:50 PM
If you're going to shoot, please be absolutely sure its not your stupid teenager sneaking back into the house after a night of running around with his bros while you thought he was in bed. Caught one of mine coming in the window one night (long ago) and it could have been tragic. I never would have met my favorite grandson. Just sayin'

Longitude Zero
03-07-2016, 08:09 PM
If at all possible take up a covered defensive position, call 911 wait for the authorities. 99.% of folks are untrained and patently INCAPABLE of safely clearing and securing their own home. If the scofflaw gets to the room you are holed up in fire until they are no longer a threat. As to advice DO NOT waste your time with some internet course that is not timely or legally accurate. Talk with a LOCAL defense attorney who handles gun cases. I know of several in OK and they are subject matter experts whose advice is unquestionable.

knkali
03-07-2016, 09:29 PM
If at all possible take up a covered defensive position, call 911 wait for the authorities. 99.% of folks are untrained and patently INCAPABLE of safely clearing and securing their own home. If the scofflaw gets to the room you are holed up in fire until they are no longer a threat. As to advice DO NOT waste your time with some internet course that is not timely or legally accurate. Talk with a LOCAL defense attorney who handles gun cases. I know of several in OK and they are subject matter experts whose advice is unquestionable.
Seems very defensible legally no matter the State. Doesn't leave much for the prosecutors to work with(I think?)

Armybrat
03-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Pretty much the same here. If it's daytime, the CT380 is in my pocket and have a 12 gauge near the computer station. Night time - wife has her cell phone on her side of the bed, the Ruger SR45 is in my side table and the 12 Gauge Winchester Defender (8 round magazine tube) is under the bed.

If the perp(s) gains access through the locked storm door & steel front door, then 00 buck social work is the main agenda. Same with the back door.

Actually, since I live in a very conservative county, there would be no problem if said perp(s) assumed room temperature just trying to break in.

The only difficulty would be getting my pants on.

Bawanna
03-09-2016, 11:25 AM
You want to talk about difficulty getting your pants on? Try doing it sitting down...........................

I'm not bothering with the pants, it'll make more drama for the court room and probably also help responders determine who is the homeowner and who is the bad guy other than the bad guy being dead on the floor and me in my birthday suit going in circles doing my happy dance. I'm alive, we win, AGAIN! I can see it now, officers comparing notes, dead guy fully clothed, maniac in birthday suit. Hmmm I'm thinking the maniac lives here and the dead guy is the uninvited guest.......:confused:

Actually if I knew I had time and I don't know how I'd ever know that I'd go for the pants, don't want to frighten the women and children. I'd also lose a few seconds plugging the hearing machine into my ear.

Not being able to hear responders directions is actually my biggest fear. Truly.

Bills1873
03-09-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm with Bawanna, who needs pants?

berettabone
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM
The issue I have here is the "meet and greet". That hints of hesitation. Could be fatal to you. We have castle doctrine also. If someone forces entry into your home you can assume the internet is to cause you bodily harm. We are also protected from civil or criminal actions.

In my situation I have no doubt that I would have done what was necessary, and immediately, but I'm letting trouble come to me, not going looking for it then asking "are you trouble".
I don't understand how "meet and greet" hints of hesitation, if anything, it's the opposite. Hesitation is not clearing the house, and hiding in your room till the bad guy comes. Also, the internet is not causing me bodily harm. If your going to rip someone's stance, at least write something that's understandable:o

yqtszhj
03-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Exactly....why would you want to ruin a good door? Plus my home guard will show them......
Hey, thats my great grandmother. No kidding looks just like her, she was about 4'9", from a mean german family that liked to fight, and made my great grandfather strip full naked outside cause he wasn't wearing those nasty work clothes into the house. He finally had enough and left. She lived to be 93 years old. Actually she was exactly like granny Clampett.

Armybrat
03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm with Bawanna, who needs pants?

Let me clarify - I would be looking for my pants after the fact, not before.

Bawanna
03-09-2016, 03:18 PM
That's a relief, I thought we were gonna have to get a room or something ya know?

SlowBurn
03-09-2016, 06:47 PM

+1 This is great advice. To find a good local criminal defense attorney to talk to, ask a cop you know and trust. They know who's who and who they'd hire.

RRP
03-10-2016, 04:29 AM
To find a good local criminal defense attorney to talk to, ask a cop you know and trust. They know who's who and who they'd hire.

A criminal defense attorney spends his career convincing others that his/her client DID NOT commit the act and must do so beyond a reasonable doubt.

Counsel in a defensive shooting must convince others that his/her client DID commit the act, and does so by preponderance of evidence.

These are two completely different animals. They are both attorneys, but they serve very different purposes. Quarterbacks and kickers are both football players, but you would never use a kicker, when it's a quarterback that you need.

Attorneys who are skilled at affirmative defense of a use-of-force cases are not as abundant as you might think. Most of us will have to look beyond "local" to find someone we can bet our freedom on.

RRP
03-10-2016, 04:43 AM
It's important that we learn the laws pertaining to use-of-force in the jurisdiction where we live/carry. There is great disparity on these issues from one state to another. Failing to act within the constraints of the law may result in the loss of justification as a defense. In an affirmative defense, once you lose justification, what is left is a confession. This is serious business.

Using a gun for self defense, without a clear understanding of the law, is playing Russian Roulette with your freedom.

Planedude
03-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Like this...

GO ahead and kick that door again sheethead!

Bobshouse
03-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Like this...

GO ahead and kick that door again sheethead!

Nice instructions, but are they printed on the front or back?