PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my CW380?

captainkirk05
03-09-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm at a turning point. 650 rounds aka $375 put through this CW380 since November. One trip back to the factory replaced the frame already, and a second call to Kahr got me a replacement slide stop lever spring for the defective one that came on my new warranty service replacement frame. Another $40 dropped on Mag guts so the gun's slide stop feature would actually work (big deal considering it's necessary for chambering hollowpoints on a reload, and now the magguts for the extended kahr mag has developed a nosediving problem with the first round when using hollowpoints, yay).

FAILURE TO EJECT. That is the story of my pistol.
No ammo runs 100%. Nothing. Some runs better than others, but not by much.
Here's my list of ammo I've tried
1 box 50 Federal American Eagle - FTE once or twice a mag
1 box 25 Black Hills - couple of FTE's
2 boxes 25 Hornady American Gunner - Every third round an FTE. I then locked the slide back for a week to weaken the recoil spring. No FTE's for 3 mags. Then they came back the next week when I finished them off. :001_huh:
4 boxes 50 Remington UMC - FTE about once a mag
2 boxes 50 Monarch brass - 1 FTE amazingly, but still, fmj and all...
4 boxes 25 Federal Hydra-Shok - Perfect until today (why did it have to end on a bad note?), had its first FTE and nosedive jam FTRB
1 box 25 Federal HST - Perfect, but 25 rounds is too small of a control group, plus undesired ammo anyways.
Also one light strike recorded at around 575 rounds.

In your opinions, should I keep it as is and just run the Hydra-Shoks and consider that as good as it gets? Do I call Kahr a 3rd time to see what they do and possibly spend another $100 test firing their "we fixed it" gun? Or should I sell it and forget it like your ex?

Sgt128
03-09-2016, 11:01 PM
I would say sell it! Just my 2 cents.

gun papa
03-10-2016, 06:35 AM
I have concluded that the feeding problems I was having was bullet shape related. This tiny, locked breach gun is ammo finicky, period. The problems with bullet shape exists with both the gun, as well as the magazine. The use of conical shaped bullets, ala, Hornady Critical Defense, HPR, ect. are what the gun likes to eat.

Chaplain
03-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems. but, I think you have it nailed down. I have occasional problems with 'range' ammo. But I have had flawless operation with Hornady Critical defense XTP, which as you point out has a conical shaped bullet.

I almost always run a mag, either first or last at the range (sometimes last to test function with a dirty gun). It always works. Since I carried a LWS Seecamp .32 for years (and for years Seecamp recommended ONLY Winchester Silver-tip) I am not concerned that my p380 is ammo specific for flawless function.

There are other small .380 pistols that report high reliability with all kinds of ammo. But, the Kahr is unique in that it is really thin, has a great trigger for the intended purpose, and I can shoot 100 rounds and not have my hand ache the next day. And I can shoot it nearly as well, or as well as my Smith J frame. I will put up with some persnickety behaviour with range ammo in order to get these benefits - so long as at least one type of readily available ammo functions with a very high degree of reliability.

One thing I would recommend - since you reported a light strike. If you decide to keep your Kahr CW380, get a Lakeline LLC striker set. I have had zero light strikes since I installed mine, and I don't have to worry about setting the top round in the mag a little forward if I chamber a round and then top off the mag.

Alfonse
03-10-2016, 08:20 AM
The biggest problem I had with mine was I had to learn to hold onto it. I have large hands (Maybe I should run for president :)), and even though I've shot thousands of rounds through my PM9, MK9, etc., the little CW380 sort of wiggled around in my normal grip when I shot. It caused the type of failures you are seeing with ejecting. The round would be stuck, and I would normally have to drop the mag and clear it.

I did have a slide stop spring that was in the pistol in some way that by the time I removed the slide stop the first time, it was all bent up. Kahr sent me a new one and no problems since.

Back to the ejecting/feeding issues. I shot my first 100 rounds with an issue every mag or two. The next 100 I tried to squeeze the stuffing out of it, and had only 1 round with a problem.

The third session, I played with the pistol, empty, and experimented until I found a way to wrap my big mitts around the thing that held it more securely. No problems since, hundreds of rounds without having a death grip. In fact, that grip works so well I use it on all my little pistols now.

If you were close, we could shoot each others' guns and see if it made any difference. YMMV, but that is my experience with the little CW380.

gun papa
03-10-2016, 08:58 AM
It is a great feeling to have confidence in this pistol for the first time. I also highly recommend the lakelinellc striker, unequivocally. It takes time, head scratching and understanding, but I think that I have it pretty well figured out now.

b4uqzme
03-10-2016, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=Alfonse;... In fact, that grip works so well I use it on all my little pistols now.
...[/QUOTE]

I experienced the same thing when I bought my MK9. It taught me a lot about a proper grip. I'm sure it's even more important with a tiny 380. When I got my MDE380 I was already good to go.

st0ny3mu
03-10-2016, 01:33 PM
I'd take out the magguts in the magazine until the gun is reliable. Start from complete stock and go from there. Have you done a complete disassemble, cleaning and greasing? Helped me huge with ftf/fte/ftrtb failures with my p380.
For awhile my p380 was only 100% with critical defense ammo. Now I can use pmc brass as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokyT
03-10-2016, 07:16 PM
... In your opinions, should I keep it as is and just run the Hydra-Shoks and consider that as good as it gets? Do I call Kahr a 3rd time to see what they do and possibly spend another $100 test firing their "we fixed it" gun? Or should I sell it and forget it like your ex?

If you are happy with Fed. Hydra Shock as the defensive ammo of your choice in .380, should keep it. However, if you do not like the ammo, but your gun does not function with other ammo you prefer, sell it and find or stick with another micro .380 that actually works...

I'm actually in the same boat right now. I like my P380 - its size, weight and how it feels in my hand. I want to like it more, but it has never been as reliable as my PM9s, which I carry... Right now the only ammo that my gun P380 works 100% is Hornady Critical Defense, which is not my choice of defensive ammo in .380...

bobbyh
03-10-2016, 09:17 PM
If you are happy with Fed. Hydra Shock as the defensive ammo of your choice in .380, should keep it. However, if you do not like the ammo, but your gun does not function with other ammo you prefer, sell it and find or stick with another micro .380 that actually works...

I'm actually in the same boat right now. I like my P380 - its size, weight and how it feels in my hand. I want to like it more, but it has never been as reliable as my PM9s, which I carry... Right now the only ammo that my gun P380 works 100% is Hornady Critical Defense, which is not my choice of defensive ammo in .380...

This mirror's my experience so far with my CW380. Mine has been back twice to Kahr due to FTF/FTE issues before I felt comfortable with it. With about 1200 rounds on it now it is the best .380 I've ever used and shoots with less drama than my CM9; though my CM9 has 1000+ rounds with zero failures since the first 50 rounds.

I've tried about ten or so different types of defensive ammo and the only one where it's been perfect with, after it's last repair several hundred rounds ago, is the Hornady CD. Not my preferred choice; but the CW's preferred choice.

I believe Kahr didn't do enough testing on their 380 series pistols and it's probably 50/50 someone will get one that runs 100% after the break-in period. They will never acknowledge that as it's extremely rare that any company will admit fault with a product. I still love the pistol despite it's faults and hopefully you can find the spot where you feel comfortable with it; otherwise no one would blame you for selling it. Good luck!

dsk
03-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Keep it clean and well-oiled (be sure to disassemble the slide and clean inside the striker channel), keep fresh recoil springs in it and only run Hornady Critical Defense or other conical-bullet loads. That's how I keep mine running. You can't let these pistols get too dirty or expect them to run with wide or blunt-nosed ammo, because they won't.

Ronni3_J
03-12-2016, 07:38 PM
Sell it to me. I wouldn't mind another CW380

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyntrout
03-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Extractor or extractor channel gunked up? My P40 developed failures to fully chamber and I finally detail stripped the slide. The extractor and train of pins(front and rear) and spring had accumulated too much oil and debris. It worked fine after I cleaned that up. I ran the extractor train dry this time. I had been wiping a tiny bit of oil onto the exposed part of the extractor and front pin.

The extractor and ejector should be examined.

Good luck. My P380 is the pistol I wear more, especially around the house and to doctor appointments, or for most concealment. I use +P Gold Dots by Underwood for defense.

Wynn

ZardozCZ
03-15-2016, 08:52 PM
I have a flawless cm9, and keep thinking a cw380 would be nice and I get tempted, then read posts like yours. I have a cz83 in 380 and it's my best shooting pistol. I guess I'll be content with it. But what I did do is win a black K9 auction for a good price so now I'm curious about an mk9... Dumb how these just keep growing on me!

gun papa
03-15-2016, 10:22 PM
I have a flawless cm9, and keep thinking a cw380 would be nice and I get tempted, then read posts like yours. I have a cz83 in 380 and it's my best shooting pistol. I guess I'll be content with it. But what I did do is win a black K9 auction for a good price so now I'm curious about an mk9... Dumb how these just keep growing on me!

I have owned a CZ83 in 380 for over 20 years now. Great pistol. If would feed a brick if you could get one into the magazine. However, the CZ83 is not a pocket pistol by any means.

mbaza3
03-15-2016, 11:03 PM
I have a older black diamond P380. It does not function reliable with any fmj ammo and I am OK with it. The gun has been 100% flawless with the Hornady Critical Defense which is what matters to me since it is my carry gun. I think the size and function of the P380/CW380 is perfect and I am OK with it not being a range gun. I will note that the PM9's I have had have been flawless with any ammo. I wish it was the size of the P380 :D

muggsy
03-16-2016, 04:01 AM
Since the frame on my P380 was replaced I've run well in excess of 5,000 flawless rounds through it. It's keeping my pocket warm as I write. I also run Hornady Critical Duty as my defensive round, but this little gun will digest anything, but flat point ammo. Give the Critical Defense or Critical Duty ammo a try. New mag springs and deburring the mag feed lips might help with the nose dive problem, too.

CJB
03-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Shoot cheaper ammo

captainkirk05
03-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to cut any further losses and headaches and trade in on it. Picked up a M&P Sheild 9mm and haven't had a single failure after now 80 rounds. It's bad when you get excited that you just quadrupled your flawless round count with a new gun compared to one with 600 rounds.
Every time Kahr fixed one problem, another one took its place. I mean when when you have to choose between having the slide lock not work on empty or having premature lockbacks (two different slide stop springs from Kahr), and also having a gun that can't cycle any ammo with better than 95% reliability after warranty service for that very issue, I have a poor view of the product and Kahr's expertise. I loved the concept of the gun, hated the finished product and lack of skill or energy by Kahr to correct the problem. Too many stories here of up to 3 trips to Kahr to get things fixed, which is unacceptable. I figured with the cost of ammo testing after each trip if I made it to the magic 3 as it looked like that was the direction it was heading, I was better of ditching the thing.

shlike
03-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to cut any further losses and headaches and trade in on it. Picked up a M&P Sheild 9mm and haven't had a single failure after now 80 rounds. It's bad when you get excited that you just quadrupled your flawless round count with a new gun compared to one with 600 rounds.
Every time Kahr fixed one problem, another one took its place. I mean when when you have to choose between having the slide lock not work on empty or having premature lockbacks (two different slide stop springs from Kahr), and also having a gun that can't cycle any ammo with better than 95% reliability after warranty service for that very issue, I have a poor view of the product and Kahr's expertise. I loved the concept of the gun, hated the finished product and lack of skill or energy by Kahr to correct the problem. Too many stories here of up to 3 trips to Kahr to get things fixed, which is unacceptable. I figured with the cost of ammo testing after each trip if I made it to the magic 3 as it looked like that was the direction it was heading, I was better of ditching the thing.

You will be happy with the Shield. I have 2 Shields, a Shield 9 and a Shield 9 Performance Center. They both have performed flawlessly right out of the box. I have run over 1000 rounds between them without a single malfunction.

I had a CW380 as well, but I ended up selling it. It ran OK, but just when I would think I had it running right, it would throw a malfunction or two at me (usually a failure to go into battery or a FTE or a stovepipe), so I couldn't fully trust it as a carry gun. My CW45, on the other hand, is running fine and is part of my carry rotation, but it took two trips back to the factory to get it that way. My CW9 has run fine out of the box, save for two broken mag followers.

I have S&W's (both 1911 and M&P's), Glocks, Sigs, and a RIA 1911. All have performed flawlessly out of the box without any malfunctions. I can't say that for my Kahrs. I really like my Kahrs because of the unique features and design, but it's not easy sometimes...