PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Odd Malfunction

texjames
07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I am still breaking in my new PM9.I went back to the range this afternoon to put another 50 through.Had 100 through it so far and no malfunctions.
What happend is i inserted a full 7 round mag with slide closed.I slingshot the slide back to chamber a round and the round did not chamber.I looked down in the slide and saw the round just barely moved from the mag, not even up on ramp yet.What was strange was the slide stop take down had come out of the kidney hole slightly.I removed the mag, pushed the slide stop back in and it worked ok from then on.Before the malfunction i had put 4 mags through it but was doing it with slide back and locked and releasing the slide with the stop.What ya think?

Bawanna
07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
All we can do is give a wild guess not being there but I suspect being still new and tight you didn't quite pull the slide back enough to pick up that top round with the stripper. I'm clueless why the slide stop would slip out unless you hit it with your finger while slingshotting the slide. I've done that myself, my slide stop didn't come out, it's very tight but I found my finger directly on the end of it.
I need to do a little beveling on my PM45 on the stripper. On carry ammo it doesn't quite want to let the case rim slip past enough to pick it up. For some reason all ball ammo works just fine. Another one of lifes mysteries. I know what I gotta do, just gotta get r dun.
I'd keep shooting it and see if it does it again. If it was mine, I'd not be too worried about it at this point.

DKD
07-29-2010, 04:17 PM
TEX,

I think you may have possibly just short stroked the sling shot rack and the round wasn't stripped from the magazine. I would be more concerned if you have several hundred rounds through the pistol. I know Kahr always recommends loading from the slide stop lever, but I can load both my PM9 & PM45 either way, however you can't baby the rack...snap that puppy back smartly and they should work just fine especially afte you have completed the obligatory break in & seat with hard ball rounds.
My PM9 broke in without nary a hitch, but that wasn't the case with my PM45 That pistol would not fully lock up at least once per magazine load for the first 100 rounds or so...just a slight nudge on the rear of the slide and all went well. After about 150 round mark she settled in and had nary a problem. I did of course tear her down and give her a good bath between 100 & 200 round sessions with the added lubrication which eased the way. All of my Kahr including my MK9 liked to run a bit wet as far a lube was concerned during the break in period. Don't forget to clean out that striker channel with chlorine free break cleaner and don't lube this area.

DKD
07-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey BAWANNA welcome back to the world son.:)

Bawanna
07-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey BAWANNA welcome back to the world son.:)

Thanks much. I had a really great time, all went well, caught a ton of trout and bass, nothing huge this year, wife got the biggest at 2 1/2 pounds on trout. 17 1/2". I'll have to live with that for a long long time. In years past we tossed everything under 20 back but they were plentiful and it's nice to be catching.
Back to the sweat shop for a week and then off to Alaska for a week. Not a shrimp boat but a really big boat. Never done nothing like this before but everyone says its a good time. Jocko's even done it several times and lived to tell the story so maybe I'll be ok.

texjames
07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Well i figured it out.After i stripped it down examined everything and then put it back together i was able to duplicate the error.With the mag out i was racking the slide back several times and walla... it did it again.I have a habit of keeping my trigger finger on the side of the frame.I am pushing on the right side rounded end of the slide stop.It fits loose enough i can push it out with slight pressure from my extended index finger.I guess i will just load from now on with the slide locked back and use the release to chamber a round. :D
Also i think the rounded part of the spring is not tight enough in the groove on my release lever.

Bawanna
07-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Well i figured it out.After i stripped it down examined everything and then put it back together i was able to duplicate the error.With the mag out i was racking the slide back several times and walla... it did it again.I have a habit of keeping my trigger finger on the side of the frame.I am pushing on the right side rounded end of the slide stop.It fits loose enough i can push it out with slight pressure from my extended index finger.I guess i will just load from now on with the slide locked back and use the release to chamber a round. :D
Also i think the rounded part of the spring is not tight enough in the groove on my release lever.

You can also grind that rounded slide stop end down flush with the frame. I think Jocko did that on his custom PM9 if I remember right which would be a new thing. You just need a punch or pull from the left side but you won't push it out with your finger. As I mentioned before I find my finger on it often too but mine is tight enough and perhaps I'm not pushing hard, just using it as an index. Perhaps a new spring would tighten yours up?