PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody ever carry an empty holster?

lamppa
03-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Like in the ice arena, which is attached to the high school, I leave the gun at home. However,I leave the holster inside my waist attached to my belt. When I get home,I slap it back in the leather holster.

Do you guys take the holster out, or just the gun?

I like to think that having the holster there helps with getting used to having it on all the time.

Bills1873
03-20-2016, 10:37 AM
My carry gun stays in the holster always, keeps the trigger covered, so I take it from waistband with the holster.

greg_r
03-20-2016, 10:40 AM
I wear my holster all the time. If I need to go into somewhere that I can't carry, I put the gun in the car safe and leave the holster on. If I know I'm going somewhere where I can not take the gun, I switch to a paddle holster so I can easily put it on and take it off.

Ronni3_J
03-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Gun stays holstered unless im going to pull the trigger or clean it

lamppa
03-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Now here is where I make a different choice than others I have talked to.
As soon as I get home, I take the round out of the chamber and put it in my left pocket. When I leave the house I lock the slide back , release and then get that extra round back in the clip for 6 +1. I do this because the kids climb on me and etc. It's a choice I'm not going to change.
Anybody else?

Ronni3_J
03-20-2016, 11:26 AM
I usually take it off and put it high up when im home playing with my son.

Bawanna
03-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Both mine stay on usually. Sometimes I take the belt gun off and put it high. Got a fun to be one granddaughter.
A couple times she's been inquisitive and wanted to touch the Cbob on my hip. She's chastised for now since she's not quite old enough to comprehend much but the chastising seems to work, she usually avoids it.

All 3 of my kids were well versed in firearms by age 2 or 3. I could leave a gun on the coffee table with toys all around it and they wouldn't touch the gun. They would very carefully bring it to me if I asked but otherwise it was not a novelty and they may have had interest but they wouldn't touch it.

Knowledge is power, when they know what a gun will really do they will respect it and I think it pays off when they go to their friends house who might try to do a sneaky with dad's guns. My kids would undoubtedly discourage it and bail if they insisted.

OvalNut
03-20-2016, 06:20 PM
My carry gun stays in the holster always, keeps the trigger covered, so I take it from waistband with the holster.

+ 1 This.

Clean it, load it, put it in the holster. Leave it there until you pull it to shoot it, or to clean it again. This is why I like solid kydex IWB holsters with a belt clip rather than a hybrid type holster. The gun and holster stay together as a matched secure unit. When I need to take my gun off and put it in my car safe or my home safe, it stays in the holster and the whole unit goes in the safe.

Tim

lamppa
03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
I like leather holsters. I really don't like kydex. It's just a personal thing. 13596

berettabone
03-23-2016, 08:50 AM
I guess that's where I differ from others....................If I can't take my firearm, I don't go.............period. Anywhere that I go, if the stupid sign is up, I ignore............If it's any other situation, they won't feel my presence, because I won't be there. I doubt that I would change my stance, even with children.........I shouldn't have to................I also do not remove any ammo from the chamber or otherwise, and the holster stays with the firearm. Otherwise, you might as well carry a hammer.

CPTKILLER
03-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Hell no!

Barth
03-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Unlike Florida, AZ no firearms signage actually means something.
Normally I don't shop anywhere with such signs.
But if I want something bad and only one of these places has it?
I might park right out front where I can see my truck.
Pull my pistol and throw it in the glove compartment.
Lock it up and grab what I need.
So yes, once in a blue moon I'll run in a store for a minute with an empty holster.
But I'm uncomfortable the whole time... :(

berettabone
03-30-2016, 04:17 PM
It means something up here also. It means I ignore it, because the worst thing that can happen, is they'll ask you to leave, which I would kindly obey, while telling them they will never get another penny of my money, and I will tell everyone that will listen not to shop there. Whew...............................

b4uqzme
03-30-2016, 04:58 PM
I usually take it off and put it high up when im home playing with my son.

I usually aim it at the cat. Haven't pulled the trigger yet tho.

Far East Person
05-09-2016, 07:34 AM
I leave my holster on my belt. When I get home, I will remove the EDC gun from the holster and bring out the "home" gun from the safe.

I hate to admit it, when I first start to EDC, I have gone out twice with empty holster and thought I was carrying. The funny thing is that the whole time I thought I was EDC; I can feel my holster and thought my "gun" was there. It is not until I got home I found out I was carrying a holster not the gun. I am glad this has not happened since.

shlike
05-09-2016, 08:06 AM
I usually aim it at the cat. Haven't pulled the trigger yet tho.

Me too. I use the cat as my "target" when doing dry-fire practice. He just looks at me with that blank stare...

CJB
05-09-2016, 10:03 AM
One time after hurricane hit....home...work...home....work...over and over in three days I made probably twenty trips. Was a hassel, so I just left it on my belt.

Bills1873
05-09-2016, 12:14 PM
I dry fire near the dog and she barks at me! Lol