PDA

View Full Version : Balistol vs. Break Free?

GaryO
04-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Is there any real working difference between the spray versions of Balistol and Break Free when it comes to gun cleaning and maintenance? Thanks...

Bawanna
04-20-2016, 01:32 PM
I voted for Ballistol because that's what I use mostly. I don't know that it's better that Break Free.

I use other oils as well. My theory is clean and oil when necessary, really don't matter which one, some may require more frequent attention than others.

Only oil I never use on my guns or most anything else except screen doors and squeaky hinges is WD40.

Best use for it I've found is spraying it on a plywood ramp and lighting it on fire while my kids drove their remote control cars over the jump. Great fun.

I know, I know, don't try this at home but we did it anyway...........................

b4uqzme
04-20-2016, 01:42 PM
^^^ I use several. But if I chose just one it would be Ballistol. But I don't have much experience with break free.

muggsy
04-20-2016, 04:08 PM
I prefer Break Free, because it does a good job without the bad odor of Balistol. I also prefer lubricating with a syringe rather than the spray. A little lubrication goes a long way.

kenemoore
04-20-2016, 05:25 PM
i chose Balistol, I use it to clean my guns, and other things to lube them. To be honest, I think as long as you maintain your weapons often you can use almost anything. My dad use 3-N-1 oil on his guns for 50 years, never an issue. I use synthetic ATF for my lube. The thing about Balistol that I like, is that it works on every gun I own, no worries on polymer, chrome, nickel etc...

Barth
04-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Ballistol.
That's all I use and have no good reason to try anything else.
Does have a pungent smell.
But it's non-toxic.
Fine on rubber, wood, leather and most importantly me.;)

RonW
04-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Foaming M-Pro-7 & a tooth brush & FP-10 is all I need

AJBert
04-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Truth be told, I couldn't vote as I've never used either. Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and Mili-tec for making thing slide. For those of you who may poo-poo on Mili-tec I used it in a very dry and sandy place. Beat the heck out of CLP by a LONG ways.

CJB
04-20-2016, 09:05 PM
BreakFree, but.... it varies quite a bit. I use BreakFree, TW25b, and green synth marine grease, depending on the application.

Been accused of over thinking things, but... you want light oils in some places, and heavy lube in others. Grease for high impact/stress items, like upper/lower locking lugs.

hardluk1
04-21-2016, 04:21 AM
I received 2 quarts of military containers of breakfree clp back around 1974 from a friend . Used those for 35 years . Went in a bought a small new bottle of it and notice how it was different from the original and stopped using it . Smell was different , color was different and even how it felt was different .

Now I use G96 brand CLP .

Planedude
04-21-2016, 04:32 AM
Ballistol.

It has always worked for me.

Mostly though these days I use Froglube...

Your mileage may vary.

CJB
04-21-2016, 05:54 AM
Smell was different , color was different and even how it felt was different .

I said the same thing about the latest GF

JohnR
04-21-2016, 06:48 AM
I use brake cleaner because it's more widely available and probably cheaper. I have looked for Ballistol in all the LGSs and have never seen it. I hate the stench of Hoppes, so if Ballistol is anything like that I won't use it. Gives me a headache.

Bills1873
04-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Really like Break Free CLP. It's gets put on all the guns.

berettabone
04-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Hoppes..................the cologne of men:)

Bawanna
04-21-2016, 08:25 AM
I don't really use Ballistol as a cleaner as many here seem to suggest although I'm sure it works.
I use good ole Hoppes for cleaning. I use TW25 for slide rails and slidy type stuff.
I use DuLite for any long term storage, safe toys and stuff that don't fit in the safe.
It smells real good and has a waxing agent so it stays put, doesn't build up either, when you put new on it takes the old off.

Detectives here tried the Frog Lube stuff until ones Colt Rail Gun started to balk, it was seriously gummed up, even the thumb safety plunger spring was like cold grease in a frying pan except not slippery, just gunk. Took a long time to get it all off.
I've heard of that in extreme cold but it wasn't that cold and he wears it everyday so shouldn't have been a temp issue.

muggsy
04-21-2016, 05:16 PM
More often than not most people over lubircate their guns. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQuNgXqWPEo

TN.Frank
04-22-2016, 11:25 PM
I've used Ballistol for about 15 years now but my current supply is getting low and I don't feel like ordering any so I've slowly moved to CLP to clean my guns but I lube em' with good ol' High Temp Red Bearing Grease that I picked up for about $5 bucks for a big can at Wally World. Works great and stays put and doesn't evaporate or run off like standard gun oils.

MrToad
04-23-2016, 06:28 AM
I've used Hoppes for a long time for cleaning but got some Ballistol recently and have used that. Ballistol has anethole oil, IIRC, which is also found in anise, so for folks who don't like the smell of a black jellybean, that might explain the aversion.

Personally, I find Ballistol to be a bit less strong in odor, but then I never found Hoppes offensive...it's what my grandfather used to clean his guns so I associate that smell with him and guns, both good memories.

Barth
04-23-2016, 06:42 AM
I've used Hoppes for a long time for cleaning but got some Ballistol recently and have used that. Ballistol has anethole oil, IIRC, which is also found in anise, so for folks who don't like the smell of a black jellybean, that might explain the aversion.

Personally, I find Ballistol to be a bit less strong in odor, but then I never found Hoppes offensive...it's what my grandfather used to clean his guns so I associate that smell with him and guns, both good memories.

When I first started using Ballistol I found the smell pungent.
But not offensive.
After getting used to it I actually find I sort of like it.
Guess it's the mental aspect of cleaning, lubing and inspecting my guns.
Makes me feel good.
And Ballistol is connected to that feeling.