PDA

View Full Version : My TP45 Covert, P45 size grip cut.

unclenunzie
04-20-2016, 07:46 PM
I stared for a long time and measured over and over. Cut long hacksaw, filed course, filed fine, sandpaper. Test fitting of P45 6-round mag repeatedly.

Feels good in hand and I like the balance too.

unclenunzie
04-20-2016, 07:49 PM

TP45 mag without extended floorplate. On order.

unclenunzie
04-20-2016, 07:50 PM

unclenunzie
04-20-2016, 07:52 PM

unclenunzie
04-20-2016, 07:53 PM

CJB
04-20-2016, 08:43 PM
in a word.... BEVEL!

b4uqzme
04-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Looks like you did a real good job. Now just get yourself some 1911 flush mount magazines and it will be t!ts.

wyntrout
04-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Good job... just bevel the magwell a bit, and then find some flush-fitting 1911 Officer-sized 7-round mags that work with it. :)

unclenunzie
04-21-2016, 05:37 AM
Good job... just bevel the magwell a bit, and then find some flush-fitting 1911 Officer-sized 7-round mags that work with it. :)

Now you've got me reading 45 caliber magazine threads :)

CJB
04-21-2016, 05:51 AM
Uncle Nunzie you missed your calling to be a mohel.

wyntrout
04-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Now you've got me reading 45 caliber magazine threads :)

A lot of guys have posted a lot of their tests on this forum... should be able to find something that works.

I saw one of those pistols... new with 3 mags at the gun show before last, but I was trying to sell and wanted another pistol for my wife. It would have made a great project gun... TP45 cut to P-sized grip as you did. It was only $349.99... new. I think the dealer thought Kahr was clearing out some in readiness for the new models.

I've always wanted a P45, but have bought so many others... and with Wifey no longer working, I had to stop buying everything that I wanted. :( I'll be thinking about that missed deal for a long time!

I really like the P-series... just right, size-wise for me. I like the DLC's but have two two-tones... P380 and P40.

Enjoy your P45!

Wynn :)

unclenunzie
06-10-2016, 07:35 AM
I did the kimber tac-mag with the wilson 47d follower thing. fed/fired/ejected just fine, but no lock back. also one time the follower came a bit away from the tube so the mag didn't drop free and i had to pull it out.... but it was not jammed up or anything. Don't think I would carry with the kimber/wilson frankenmags unless I could find a way to avoid that little snag.

Definitely loving the TP45 Covert, or, call it P45 longslide. Yeah, I kinda like that. 264 rounds of ball and JHP, not one failure except as noted with frankenmags.

gb6491
06-10-2016, 10:38 AM
I did the kimber tac-mag with the wilson 47d follower thing. fed/fired/ejected just fine, but no lock back. also one time the follower came a bit away from the tube so the mag didn't drop free and i had to pull it out.... but it was not jammed up or anything. Don't think I would carry with the kimber/wilson frankenmags unless I could find a way to avoid that little snag.

Definitely loving the TP45 Covert, or, call it P45 longslide. Yeah, I kinda like that. 264 rounds of ball and JHP, not one failure except as noted with frankenmags.
I tried quite a few different followers and springs in the quest for flush fitting magazines. The only combination that consistently locked the slide back was Kahr followers with a Kahr springs in modified Officer's/compact magazine tubes. I've been running these (almost exclusively) for over 5 years without any issues in my CW45.
Regards,
Greg
http://oi39.tinypic.com/1zgqj9j.jpg

unclenunzie
06-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Nice. It kills me that it's not likely possible to find a fully functional flush combo with 7 round capacity. But it does offer better concealment due to 1911 baseplate style...... mmm maybe I should try that. I have two modified kimber tacmags already, I could give the kahr parts a go in them and see.... Thanks for the experience and pic :)

gb6491
06-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Nice. It kills me that it's not likely possible to find a fully functional flush combo with 7 round capacity. But it does offer better concealment due to 1911 baseplate style...... mmm maybe I should try that. I have two modified kimber tacmags already, I could give the kahr parts a go in them and see.... Thanks for the experience and pic :)
You're welcome :)

You might want give ACT-MAGS a look. I've not tried them myself, but folks have reported they worked in their pistols:
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?17876-Act-Mag-works-in-CW45
They'll fit similar to what a Kahr mag with the plastic base plate would (though a touch longer), but will hold 7 rounds. There's a photo here:
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/1911-actmag-magazines-c-62/actmag-1911-officers-7-rd-45-acp-blued-1911ob457-p-1382.html

Regards,
Greg

unclenunzie
10-26-2016, 02:03 PM
I ordered and today received two act-mags, and a test fit is perfect as they came. The follower seems to make good positive contact with the slide stop, and there is no drag on the slide/ejector when manually cycled. So as is, I think the act mags will provide full function while being a bit longer for the 7th round capability. I will range test of course, but for now, nice.

I also quick checked the act-mag follower and spring in a modified kimber tac-mag. Functionally I think it would be the same, but only 6 rounds will fit. When trying to get a 7th in, it was very close but not quite. So I think it may be possible to shorten the act-mag spring at the bottom so a 7th round will fit. Still, I know the first casing to extract needs room in the mag as it is pulled from the chamber, and this may still not leave enough room. So for now I think, pending testing, I have act-mags that will work fully at 7 rounds unmodified, and fully in a flush, modifed tac-mag tube, 6 rounds.

We shall see...