PDA

View Full Version : Daughter gets a gun for a Wedding Gift. Should the groom get one too?

Barth
06-01-2016, 07:34 PM
I know it's hard to believe.
But among other things I'm getting my daughter a gun as a wedding present.
After thinking about it, it dawned on me that getting a matching set (His and Hers) might be cool.
I've never met her new guy.
Know she would like/appreciate a gun.
But have no idea if this guy would appreciate such a gift.
Don't want to ask her either as it would spoil the surprise.

Clearly I'm not a normal father to be.
And could use some advise from my internet friends.
What do you much wiser sages have to say?

nmkahrshooter
06-01-2016, 07:38 PM
I think I would ask your daughter if he new husband is a gun guy. He might not be one and wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot. If he doesn't ant one let me know, I'll send you my address.

b4uqzme
06-01-2016, 07:38 PM
My BIL and his new wife got a set of LCR's as wedding presents. They love them IIRC.

deadeye
06-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Yep. Just casually ask if he likes guns. If he doesn't and she doesn't marry him I'm available. No wait! I'm already married.

yqtszhj
06-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I know it's hard to believe.
But among other things I'm getting my daughter a gun as a wedding present.
After thinking about it, it dawned on me that getting a matching set (His and Hers) might be cool.
I've never met her new guy.
Know she would like/appreciate a gun.
But have no idea if this guy would appreciate such a gift.
Don't want to ask her either as it would spoil the surprise.

Clearly I'm not a normal father to be.
And could use some advise from my internet friends.
What do you much wiser sages have to say?

Good gift. That sounds like what I would get my daughter. Also on any future husband I already told my daughter that the guy better accept it because that's just how the family is.

Alfonse
06-01-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm available for adoption if Barth is looking for a son who appreciates guns. :)

I don't think my parents would mind, and my wife and I could always use anniversary gifts....

berettabone
06-02-2016, 10:09 AM
If he's marrying your daughter, he must know how she feels about firearms.............if he's still marrying her after that, it must not be an issue. His and hers would be great, may I suggest a couple of guns, say, his and hers HK P2000SK's in 9mm and .40......priced right, right now..........................sorry Kahr...........................

Ikeo74
06-02-2016, 10:11 AM
I would never let my daughter marry someone that I have never met and know nothing about. Make sure you get acquainted (before) the wedding. That is just me! So many things could go wrong here.

Bawanna
06-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm with Ikeo. I'd know so much about the dude he'd be surprised to learn some of the things he'd forgotten about.

I received the highest compliment at my daughters wedding. As part of the pictures my sons and I brought our shotguns for pictures. The venue owner came up and said they usually keep an old shotgun around for folks that want one for pictures but we done went and brought our own! It was outside at their house. Big piece of property all set up with a big tent and stuff for weddings on wet days and stuff.
My wife now works for the people catering weddings and such.

yqtszhj
06-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I would never let my daughter marry someone that I have never met and know nothing about. Make sure you get acquainted (before) the wedding. That is just me! So many things could go wrong here.

My daughter would have to have a talk with me first and tell me not to scare him off.

yqtszhj
06-02-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm with Ikeo. I'd know so much about the dude he'd be surprised to learn some of the things he'd forgotten about.

I received the highest compliment at my daughters wedding. As part of the pictures my sons and I brought our shotguns for pictures. The venue owner came up and said they usually keep an old shotgun around for folks that want one for pictures but we done went and brought our own! It was outside at their house. Big piece of property all set up with a big tent and stuff for weddings on wet days and stuff.
My wife now works for the people catering weddings and such.

I remember that picture.

Bawanna
06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
My son in law, daughter and Shaylin the granddaughter are on a plane as we speak headed for North Carolina to visit his family. I got to play with her quite a bit last evening. Grandma got her some sidewalk chalk and I was teaching her to be a graffiti artist. She took right to I it too.
Ended up putting war chalk on her face, she was a mess. It was so much fun..................

I bet she won't be a happy camper with that much time on a plane. She went once before but she was still carry on at that time and probably didn't really care where she was.

Got a little brother or sister in the works now. If daughter don't quit going to the airport I'll have a passel of grandkids.

Barth
06-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Consensus seems to be His and Hers Pistolas.
This is my LCP with Hers.
I've got a second black/stainless gun coming Monday.
Then I'm going to swap slides to give her a one of a kind Pink/Stainless LCP.:cool:
And He will get the black/black one.
Thanks Guys!
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r678/barthunderwood/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/2016-06-02%2016.22.23_zpsiva7e5vu.jpg

kenemoore
06-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Perfect!

Ronni3_J
06-02-2016, 06:43 PM
That's awesome

jeepster09
06-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Yep. Just casually ask if he likes guns. If he doesn't and she doesn't marry him I'm available. No wait! I'm already married.

WOW...ok anything goes now a days... oh wait maybe you meant Barth's daughter?

knkali
06-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Yeah man, if the guy gets all in a tizzy b/c he got a gun for a wedding gift then he ain't the guy for your little girl. Think of it as separating the weat from the chaff

Bills1873
06-02-2016, 08:50 PM
10 to 1 says he'll like it!

hardluk1
06-03-2016, 02:32 AM
For a son-in-law you never met I would hold off on the handgun till you get to know him and have a chance to run a back ground check . Love can be blind but a background check and face to face talk time , maybe a range trip can leave a different impression .

wyntrout
06-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Ha! I like that one, hardluk1. There's also the question of arming her, but not him.... :D

Ikeo74
06-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Nothing like a "Straw Purchase" for a wedding gift. What if he has a felony record in his past?

Bawanna
06-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Interesting point. Until the passage of I594 a while back it wasn't really an issue around here if it was in family.
Husband/Wife Dad/Daughter etc.

Now legally you can't give your son a gun without going to a dealer and transferring it.

I doubt the law has had much effect on fathers giving their sons or daughters guns but I guess the legislators figure they did a good thing.

I got a hunch the guys ok but I got absolutely nothing to back that up with, just feel it in my cells.

If he's not, I'm sure Barth will take care of it by any means necessary.

Interesting daughter side note. I guess when my daughter, her husband and Shaylin got on the plane yesterday morning at 0430 (that's damn early for you noncoms especially when your an hour from the airport) a lady on the plane complained about my granddaughters presence before the plane even left the gate.
My son in law apparently set the lady straight and advised the granddaughter would not be a problem and if anyone was leaving the plane it would be her. Apparently he did this in no uncertain terms.
Guess the granddaughter did just fine, flirted with the guy in the seat behind her, looked at her picture books and just went with the flow.
Kind of made me proud of both her and my son in law.
Kind of wish I was there.
Maybe I should get him a Glock. Those go through the metal detector without setting them off right? Remember that in the beginning?

knkali
06-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Good to hear. They are good parents raising good little people. That's getting rare today. Evidenced by the lady's protest before the flight ever started.

b4uqzme
06-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Nothing like a "Straw Purchase" for a wedding gift. What if he has a felony record in his past?

I'd be more concerned with giving him my daughter vs. giving him a gun. Just sayin'. ;)