PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Kahr MK9 Wood Grips

finalglide
06-17-2016, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for a different set of wood grips for my MK9. I have the grips that Kahr currently offers on their site but they are way too thick and a (imo) unattractive color. Does anyone have, or know know of a place to purchase, a set of wood grips? I google image search for MK9 wood grips and see some beautiful examples out there, I sure would like to get my hands on some.

berettabone
06-17-2016, 12:20 PM
It all depends on what year your MK was manufactured. That is where you need to start. As I can attest, not all wood grips fit all MK's. They have had slight design changes over the years, and it can sometimes become a crap shoot. Since you already have grips from Kahr, I don't think that finding some should be too much of an issue, other than, if you think that the one's you have now are too thick, you may have a problem. That means custom............................................ ..............

finalglide
06-17-2016, 12:35 PM
I purchased my MK new last year. I wouldn't mind different grips if they are as thick as the current official ones, I believe I can sand them down a bit. But I'd hate to spend the time to do that with what I have now, as like I said, I don't find them all that attractive. They're quite dark and have no real grain to speak of.

b4uqzme
06-17-2016, 01:54 PM
I took a set of Kahr/Hogue wood grips and sanded them down thinner. They felt real good and looked OK despite not having much woodgrain. But I shortly thereafter bought a set of Lakeline LLC G10 grips and have never looked back. Love 'em. I think Kahrs look real good all stainless with black grips. JMHO.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?26731-Thinner

berettabone
06-17-2016, 03:28 PM
You might want to sweet talk someone named Bawanna.......................................I've heard that he might dabble in that sort of thing.:rolleyes:

b4uqzme
06-17-2016, 03:34 PM
^^^ I'll let the Colonel contradict me but I don't think he does those any more. I takes quite a bit to make MK grips from scratch. What I think you might be able to sweet talk him into is taking a set you sanded down and putting some real nice checkering on there. That could be a real special solution. Especially if you find the wood you are working with lacking in figure.

I don't believe there is anyone out there making MK or K wooden grips regularly. So custom in this case really means "one-off". And I would expect the price to match if you can find anyone at all.

berettabone
06-17-2016, 03:44 PM
A fine idea........................I don't think he "makes" them from scratch, a PITA............so many different frame sizes, but I believe as stated, I am sure he could put some "bling" on em................

Bawanna
06-17-2016, 04:42 PM
I keep telling myself I won't make these things but at the same time I tell myself I want to just for occasions such as we have here. I've made probably 12 or 15 sets some out of good stabilized wood which is best.
Probably that many K models too.

I have to borrow a MK, it's an older model and the coworker rarely carries it so it's not a huge deal. He won't part with it unfortunately but I do get to borrow it.

It does take a tremendous amount of time and effort to make them, same as the K's. The frustration is I make them and sometimes they just don't fit. For awhile I was sending out a set to make sure they fit and then I'd make a set.
The test fit set sent out once and they liked it so well I didn't get it back.

I may make some again one day but it will be awhile. This time of year I just got too much stuff going on.
I will as mentioned slim down grips or checker, do inlays, that sort of thing. I wish I could somehow get grips with just all the inside done and fitting perfectly, so I could just shape the outside and checker or whatever.
The part you don't see takes the most time. So many different surface area's that have to be right or into the wood stove they go. Mess with one you have to mess with the rest.

I do love wood grips though. I guess the short answer is you fella's was right. But never say never.

pappy42
07-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Bawanna man make heap nice grips.

b4uqzme
07-19-2016, 07:10 PM
^^^^ He sho does! Every now and again I go to the Bawanna grips thread and scroll thru a few pages. It's good for the soul.