PDA

View Full Version : Desantis.... yuck!

CJB
06-18-2016, 03:34 PM
Got a Desantis shoulder rig for the Gov'ner. Not too many shoulder rigs out there for it.

The leather is... in a word, terrible. It has this rather synthetic feel. And... the harness has wide areas right where you're neck is. They cut into your neck. So, I cut into the harness, made the straps uniform width.

That leather didn't quite seem right. So I burnt a snippet of what I cut off. BINGO!

Its finished composit "leather". AKA, ground up suede mixed with some sort of rubbery binder, left raw on one side, and "press finished" on the other. Last I heard, cows ain't made of rubber....

I'm rather disapointed that they chose to use such crap quality material. My other leather rig is a Galco, and its soft as butter, and does cost more....

So, I ordered up a Galco harness for the Desantis holster. The holster itself aint much better, but its all there is out there that I could find, so I'll use it. Maybe carry a PM45 on the off side, dunno.

ltxi
06-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Once upon a long time ago time Desantis made good stuff. But that was once upon a time in a land that no longer exists.

kerby9mm
06-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear that your shoulder rig isn't satisfactory. I have 3 desantis owb leather holsters & am pleased with them. They fit the guns well & accommodate my 1 3/4" belt. I would feel as you do if they weren't real leather.

340pd
06-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Is it this stuff?
"Bonded leather, also called reconstituted leather or blended leather, is a term used for a manufactured upholstery material including animal hide. It is made as a layered structure of a fiber or paper backer, a pulp made from shredded leather, and a polyurethane coating which is embossed with a leather-like texture."

JohnR
06-19-2016, 03:25 PM
I have a chair covered in that. It tore and peeled in less than three years.

gb6491
06-19-2016, 04:26 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/2czl20.jpg

CJB
06-19-2016, 05:37 PM
El paso saddlery might come thru for me on a rig.

gb6491
06-19-2016, 05:46 PM
I'd be interested in hearing how that works out as I've been eyeing their "Tanker" holster.
Regards,
Greg

Barth
06-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Yes, I just got a ballistic nylon Patriot rig from DeSantis that I hate:mad:
Personally I love their Nemesis and Super Fly pocket holsters.

kwh
06-19-2016, 07:18 PM
I have the exact same problem with my chair, a Catnapper recliner. Disappointed and more expensive than a holster.
I have a chair covered in that. It tore and peeled in less than three years.

marshal kane
06-20-2016, 11:21 AM
I too, bought DeSantis because they made a strong side holster specifically for my P9. I went with the DeSantis belt and double magazine pouch too in a OWB rig. I can't complain about the quality of the materials or workmanship but I can complain that the holster I got was very, very snug. So snug that while wearing my rig, I couldn't draw the pistol out of the holster. Imagine having that happen in a gunfight. I padded the pistol with a layer of dress sock like DeSantis suggested and left it in the holster for a couple weeks. No change. Then I added an additional sock. Two weeks later, still no change. Added a layer of uncorrugated cardboard along with the socks. No change and now getting mad. Added another layer of cardboard along with the socks. Still can't draw from the pistol. Left the socks and cardboard in place with the pistol in the holster and ran some rope through the belt slots, squeezed the belt slots hard toward each other and had my wife pull the rope as tight as possible and knotted it. Left the holster that way for three weeks. I can now draw and holster the pistol while wearing my rig. I still feel the holster is a bit snug but I'm now hoping that by wearing the rig, the holster will stretch a bit more. In the meantime, not attempting to do any quick draws. While I appreciate the holster is made to specifically fit my pistol, I feel that DeSantis should never require their customers to go through what I did to make the holster fit. Keep this post in mind should you contemplate purchasing DeSantis.

ltxi
06-20-2016, 02:58 PM

El Paso Saddlery makes excellent stuff. Just wish their these days customer service was near as good as their product.