PDA

View Full Version : Can barrels be swapped out for a "better" high end barrel from Kahr?

pzlehr
06-30-2016, 08:09 PM
I have a CW9 and was reading on the Kahr site where the premium guns have match grade polygonal barrel whereas the CW CT have basic rifled barrel. Can one buy a Match barrel from Kahr or wherever and have it fit in a CW or CT?

Alfonse
06-30-2016, 08:42 PM
I think you could. I don't think I could tell any difference.

b4uqzme
06-30-2016, 08:44 PM
...I don't think I could tell any difference.

+1 this

Bills1873
06-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Seems my CM45 is just as accurate as my PM9.

CJB
07-01-2016, 05:08 AM
Its marketing. Depending on fit, the conventional barrel may shoot better groups.

CJB
07-01-2016, 05:12 AM
Follow up...

In an autoloader, the outside fit of the barrel is the key to accuracy. For example, old military 1911 barrels, welded up and recut to fit tight, shoot as good as any. The limit is the mechanics of the platform not the rifling.

CPTKILLER
07-01-2016, 09:34 AM
My MK9 as it is, is quite accurate.

b4uqzme
07-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Indeed. I think the benefit of the polygonal barrel is limited in these guns. They are nice to have but really not worth any expense upgrading a current CM/CW/CT model. I struggle with Kahrs in this respect: they are really great designs as produced. Being one who likes to "personalize" his firearms I am at a loss on how to do that with a Kahr. I have upgraded grip panels on my K and MK but that's about it. The darn things are otherwise perfect IMHO.

b4uqzme
07-01-2016, 09:44 AM
^^^ Oh and a couple Lakeline followers...

RonW
07-01-2016, 03:34 PM
yes you can swap out the barrels if you want. At 140 bux you may want to ask yourself if you're willing to spend that much. Those polygonal barrels are very nice and they are easier to clean over the conventional rifling barrels.
if it was me, I'd spend the xtra dough & replace the front sight with a metal trijicon night sight from kahr's shop, maybe a milled slide stop pin and replace that MIM one.

kwh
07-01-2016, 06:16 PM
I bought a used CW9. Later found a great deal on a used 4 1/2 " threaded barrel,polygonal. The barrels are interchangeable. I am not a good enough shot to tell any accuracy difference. I bought the longer barrel only for increased velocity "0omph". Main carry holster is a PJ kydex with open end. Works fine with the longer barrel as long as I don't use the thread protector. Fine with me,I don't care about the look. +++ on the Lakeland followers.

max it
12-23-2016, 05:12 PM
I have a CW9 and was reading on the Kahr site where the premium guns have match grade polygonal barrel whereas the CW CT have basic rifled barrel. Can one buy a Match barrel from Kahr or wherever and have it fit in a CW or CT?
Funny, I have the PM 9 with polygonal rifling and want the other conventional barrel. Since I reload my own and sometimes use lead, or rather moly coated lead or Hi-Tek coated lead it is acceptable in conventional barrels but not in Glock type polygonal. Hence in my Glock I have a match grade Lone Wolf barrel.
So the reason I am here in this thread is that I am considering the next purchase which would be either a CM or CW45 which has the conventional rather than the PM.
Does this help any?

Max

(disclaimer; I don't want offers to swap PM9 barrels. Here in CA I need the stock one for my ccw permit)
M.