PDA

View Full Version : Old Ironsides - USS Constitution

Armybrat
07-03-2016, 10:25 AM
My son & his wife are visiting Boston for the fireworks, history tours, & pubs. They are down at the harbor this morning to see the grand old frigate (launched in 1798). Seems the great lady is undergoing a refit (hope this picture shows right side up for y'all):

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0f0352e64b09d3fe1345b5f30b742c9b67ddefc.jpg

kwh
07-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Got to take the on board ship tour 4 years ago. The Battle Ship uses Coastal Oak which is extremely dense and found only in select regions along the Atlantic coast. (I am from N.C. and there are still some of these rare Oaks near Fort Fisher outside of Wilmington.) Hence, she earned the name Old Ironsides when cannonballs would "bounce" off her sides.
I found out the Constitution is still a commissioned Warship, and as such, fires off cannons every evening precisely at Dusk. While on vacation , my Daughter and I would go every evening to enjoy the countdown and take pictures. Also, Bostonians with house boats anchored in the harbor would come on deck, drink in hand, to observe the Sundown ritual. On such an occasion,we all witnessed a man in his early 30's,wearing his tourist shorts,talking on his cell phone, oblivious to his surroundings, walking directly in front of the cannons. The countdown had started with just seconds to go. We all looked around and smiled at each other as we knew what was about to happen. Unfortunately no one had a movie camera. The black powder canon roared and smoke billowed. He shrieked like a little girl,threw his hands up,ducked,crouched into a fetal position,stood up and spun around 360 Degrees. He then walked off, probably to change his shorts. Do not know what he said on the cell phone.
Happy 4th of July. God Bless America and all who keep us safe.

RonW
07-03-2016, 01:34 PM
I too had the understanding that she is still in commission, does that mean it is still capable of battle, ei. battle ready or just on the records as a show of patriotism?

Iggy
07-03-2016, 02:24 PM
I was there many years ago and she was undergoing refitting then too.
We were back there visiting my Marine son and he knew his way around. We were allowed to go on board and wander around wherever we wanted to go.. I was really thrilled because I had built a plastic model of the old girl back when I was about 12 or 13 years old..

As a coincidence, there was a Fletcher Class Destroyer moored nearby and we toured that one too.. I built a model of the Fletcher Class Destroyer "The Sullivans" back when I was a kid to That was a really awsome day.

kwh
07-03-2016, 03:47 PM
My understanding is that the USS Constitution is a fully commissioned battleship. She is (was) taken out for a day, once a year.

nmkahrshooter
07-03-2016, 06:25 PM
I remember going there several times when I was growing up. Everytime I see a picture of here I have fond memories of my childhood. Those were great times!

gb6491
07-03-2016, 07:30 PM
My son & his wife are visiting Boston for the fireworks, history tours, & pubs. They are down at the harbor this morning to see the grand old frigate (launched in 1798). Seems the great lady is undergoing a refit (hope this picture shows right side up for y'all):

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0f0352e64b09d3fe1345b5f30b742c9b67ddefc.jpg
:)Thanks for sharing that sir!

I too had the understanding that she is still in commission, does that mean it is still capable of battle, ei. battle ready or just on the records as a show of patriotism?
America's Ship of State (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&dbname=cp111&sid=cp111UnfB8&refer=&r_n=hr288.111&item=&sel=TOC_1039852&)
(23) The U.S.S. Constitution will remain a commissioned ship in the United States Navy, with the Navy retaining control of the ship, its material condition, and its employment.
(24) The U.S.S. Constitution's primary mission will remain education and public outreach, and any Ship of State functions will be an adjunct to the ship's primary mission.

Some reading from "All Hands" (the Navy's official magazine): http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/constitution/

Regards,
Greg

b4uqzme
07-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Hey Iggy. Please thank your son for his service!

Armybrat. She is a beautiful vessel ain't she! Boarded her once and still remember how impressed I was. Those decks are gorgeous. ...and all the rigging. Thanks for bringing back a fond memory.

AJBert
07-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Not only is she the oldest commissioned ship in the Navy, she is also the only commissioned ship with sails in the Navy and is manned by active duty Sailors.

Armybrat
07-04-2016, 08:19 AM
It's my understanding that the Swabbies tow her out into the harbor once a year then turn her around 180 degrees before redocking in her berth. That ensures she weathers evenly over the centuries.
Son sent another picture - bow shot shows the dry dock setup:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/cb315145dc1ebc04c843ebc17679dce65b3c5dc.jpg

Dbholfo
07-07-2016, 11:41 AM
She's a great ship. We went twice in one week a few years ago. 1st time we did the entire adjacent museum. 2nd time we did the belowdecks tour. They are bringing her back to her earliest configuration as I recall. We walked the Freedom Trail blue line over two days, the first ending in Charlestown. Then our MTA pass let us use the water taxi to go and return from the hotel when our son joined us.