PDA

View Full Version : safe deposit box

TroyKoi
08-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Hey Guys - has anyone used/have an opinion on a safe deposit box to store an (unloaded) handgun?

slowpoke
08-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I asked my bank about that a few years ago and they said, -- NO!
I think I should have said nothing and just done it.
I can't find any laws against it.
Barnaby Jones used to do it. ... :D

Bawanna
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I couldn't imagine being apart from even my lowliest firearm. Have to go to a bank to visit it and fondle it.
I'd get a good safe and just keep it nearby, bury it in the back yard under a bush in a PVC pipe or multitude of other options before the bank.
Send it to me, I'll store it for ya, long as it's worth storing. I don't like to store paperweights so send some ammo with it too if it's not too much trouble.

jocko
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
I asked my bank about that a few years ago and they said, -- NO!
I think I should have said nothing and just done it.
I can't find any laws against it.
Barnaby Jones used to do it. ... :D

rthey have absolutley no right to know what is in your safety deposit box. they rent it to you, u get it and go in a closed area by yourself. Put in there what ever you want . What you did was ask a bank person who had no clue about the right answer but gave you their answer. Screw them..

OldLincoln
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a plan, park a gun and box or two of ammo in a few safety deposit boxes around the country.

carguy79
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM
I second the gun or two and several boxes of ammo. The bank does not need to know whats in there. Might come in handy someday if the O administration ever get all crazy and enact some stupid gun law!

ripley16
08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Seems like a very expensive and inconvenient way to store a pistol. I can see no upside to using a bank to keep a gun.

Internet Blohard
08-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I did for a year or so when I had moved from one State to another and really wasn't well situated to store my more prized pistols in a crappy cheap apartment in a crappy cheap area. Worked fine. I didn't have to worry about my guns other than the one I had with me and my long guns.

Don't ask the bank don't tell the bank. What is in your box is your business. Put the guns in and take them out in the private booth they always furnish.

I still have a couple of boxes used for other purposes. They are not that expensive and are about as secure as you would ever want and far more secure than any home arrangement that a non-billionaire could have.

Dietrich
08-07-2010, 02:26 AM
That is an interesting question,especially here in Dogpatch.Safety deposit boxes are supposed to contain your personal and private possessions but it`s illegal to carry a firearm into a bank in North Carolina so I reckon that I can`t do it.Is that what people call a Catch 22?

OldLincoln
08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
No, it should be alright. If you bring an unloaded gun into the bank in a briefcase or similar, it's not considered "carrying". Think of it as an antique collectible gun, bet there lot's of them in bank vaults everywhere.

07hemi4me
08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I want a safe deposit box like Jason Bourne

TroyKoi
08-13-2010, 11:28 AM
"I'm sorry, Mr. Bourne, but you're not allowed to keep that pistol in your box -"

GD2J
08-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I used to work for a few banks back in the day, and firearms are one of the (many) things prohibited by the bank's rules from storage in a safe deposit box. Customers agree to these rules when they sign for the rental.

Now, that being said - as stated above, the bank has NO RIGHT to know what is being put in that box. Don't ask, don't tell is in full effect. But if anything happens, the bank makes sure they are not on the hook from a liability standpoint.