PDA

View Full Version : Semi annual haircut.....

CJB
07-23-2016, 07:26 PM
I was feeling pretty good today. Got some parts sent over to Hamilton Bowen for his magic touch on a project I've got going. Discovered a tiny foible in my beloved Charter Arm's Pittbull .45. Spoke to Dee Ecker, she transferred me to Nick Ecker (owner of Charter Arms). He said, no problem, look for a label in 15 minutes. It came, I sent. Very minor, non safety issue, glad they're all over making it right.

And, I got new brakes pads, some Lyndall Xtreme (or just X series). The rear brake on my Harley has always been a bit so-so. I hear they're all that way, something about the piston ratio of master/caliper mixed with pads and geometry. Whatever. The new Lyndall X series stop on a frikkin' dime. Best pad yet. Got 'em on front and back now, totally different set of stoppers. And... I changed the very weary handlebar riser bushings, as the old ones turned to damn near stone.

With all that... I decided to jump on the bike, ride from the embedded swampy space, in places even Zika laden mosquitoes fear to venture, and ride to town, for the express purpose of getting a haircut. Its a twice yearly epic journey.

Good Lord, the place I go has changed!

It used to be a nice quiet little unisex shop, run by foreign speaking ladies, that gave regular haircuts, and did the odd roll-up and dye.

Now its a "salon".

One of the old guard gals was there, thank you God!

The two men were a real bunch of happy clippers. One look at their footwear told me there was virtually no weight being applied to the soles.

Happy number one asked another customer, who came in after me, if he wanted a shampoo and cut, maybe some highlights. The customer was a semi lucid 40 something stoner. I looked at Mr. Happy (#1). He looked through me... for a long time. Went about counting the cash register, sweeping, cleaning the counter at the register.... and finally my stare must have gotten to him.

"Oh, are you hear for something? What can we do for your marvelous head of hair today?"

"Make it shorter"

"Oh, ok.... Mr. Plain Jane! Walk this way....!" (Note: if I could walk that way, it would be on account of droppin' the soap in the locker room shower, repeatedly).

"No offense, but I want a woman to cut my hair"

"Oh I'll cut it!", Mr Happy (#2) said.

"No offense, but a real woman"

That ended that. He took the stoner instead. I waited for the last regular gal there.

She goes to me... you want that regular messy look like always?

Yah. (Joking) Make it look good at 80mph!

She did her best. I got a nice little neck rub too. Her hands were like ice, and she said she was warming them up.

But, no fear. I aint gonna be good lookin' no how no way. Just lucky to still have some hair up there I recon.

At least I don't go back till New Years time.

Armybrat
07-23-2016, 08:16 PM
I haven't been to a barbershop since 1970 or thereabouts. The wife cuts my very thin hair about every 6 or 7 weeks.

AJBert
07-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Took me over a year to find a proper barber shop when we moved up here. I'm kinda very old fashioned when I get my hair cut. I want a man, preferably older than me. I want a barber, not a hair stylist. I want no women to get their hair "done" where I get mine cut. I want my barber to know what a "high and tight" is. I want my barber to be able to talk sports, women, dirty jokes and cars. I want outdoor magazines, car magazines and girly magazines for my reading pleasure. I don't want the words "shampoo" or "dye" anywhere posted. I want my barber to give me exact change from my haircut not expecting any tip, though I always tip, or rather over tip.

I get my high and tight and return about every three months when my hair gets too long to where I can't stand it.

nmkahrshooter
07-24-2016, 04:37 AM
Give it a few more years and barber shops will become a thing of the past also. Sad, I had a lot of good memories of them- my father was a barber. Everytime I walk into one, the smell brings me back to my childhood.

JohnR
07-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Did you ask Ms. Ice-finger where the other gals were working? Maybe try that place next time. If I got a high & tight it would look like a hollowed out tree stump.

CJB
07-24-2016, 06:35 AM
My problem is... I'm basically a holdover from 1970 in terms of hair.

While I recognize that short hair means nobody can grab you by the locks to steady your face while they bash it, I really don't have a great concern in that regard.

There are two "barber" shops in the closest inhabited locale. Doesn't matter which you go to. Doesn't matter how you want your hair cut. You go in however you are, and come out with the same cookie cutter hair. Both shops are run by old Cuban guys. We got that one place I usually go, and there are a few ladies only places and probably a few black ladies who run coiffure parlors from their houses.

Put another way, I am the guy who wont get his hair cut again, once I retire. Just hope the hair holds out that long..... :)

yqtszhj
07-24-2016, 06:52 AM
Man that haircut story cracked me up. Particularly the Mr. Happy #2 part.

kenemoore
07-24-2016, 06:53 AM
I'm lucky there is a real barber shop right down the road. They still have the hot lather machine, and shave your neck ( although they use disposables now because of blood borne pathogens), trim your eye brows, hair on your ears etc... Only haircuts, no styles or such. They are gun friendly have a sign on the door, guns are welcome, just keep'm holstered. They have a shelf right by the toilet if you need to park something while you're busy.

They also have Purple Heart Parking by the front door, so far, never seen anyone use it. Lots of cops, reserves, young kids and old men like me as clients, never saw it when you didn't have to wait. They give a senior discount, and I have seen them do some really old timers for free, refused their money. They charge a little bit more than the competition, but cheapest is almost always not the best.

marshal kane
07-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Speaking of barbershops, I favor the ones that practice the military technique, 90% electric clippers, 10% scissors, less that 10 minutes in the chair. Works for me as no haircut is going to make me look any better.

JohnR
07-24-2016, 08:22 AM
I was getting "styled" by a somewhat good looking blonde chick, and she asked, "Do you ever comb your hair straight back like this?" I said, "Not since the '80s." She said it was coming back in style and I said ok whatever. I can comb it the way I want when I get home.

One of my business ideas is to run a barber shop where the barbers are basically Hooters girls and dress that way. I think I'd make a fortune, and guys wouldn't even care how their hair turns out.

marshal kane
07-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Ditto that. I like hooters girls.

CJB
07-24-2016, 09:14 AM
I was getting "styled" by a somewhat good looking blonde chick, and she asked, "Do you ever comb your hair straight back like this?" I said, "Not since the '80s." She said it was coming back in style and I said ok whatever. I can comb it the way I want when I get home.

One of my business ideas is to run a barber shop where the barbers are basically Hooters girls and dress that way. I think I'd make a fortune, and guys wouldn't even care how their hair turns out.

Yup. And....smoke cigars n sip whiskey before during and after the cut!

yqtszhj
07-24-2016, 01:52 PM

It would never work out. Your local Rosie O'donnell's would start showing up and ruin everythung, just sayin. It would have worked 10 years ago.

CJB
07-24-2016, 02:30 PM
It would never work out. Your local Rosie O'donnell's would start showing up and ruin everythung, just sayin. It would have worked 10 years ago.

No, there's a way around that too. Instead of being open to the public, you make it a private social club, with monthly or yearly "dues".

As a social club, they can restrict anyone, for any reason. They can also enroll anyone at any time. So, if some outstanding "prospect" ventures in, he can, for instance, apply for membership, pay a fee of say $25 to "inspect" his new prospective club, before committing to a full membership.

Either that, or they can teach the wenches down at the VFW to cut hair - problem solved! And the local VFW has really really nice wenches too.

JohnR
07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Is Rosie showing up for a job interview, or to get a haircut? Kinda makes a difference. Ha ha. Yeah, it was the "less blessed" women who ruined Hooters by demanding jobs there.

Dbholfo
07-24-2016, 07:10 PM
I started going to Charlie in 1977. That shop closed and he started his own. When he reached 65 he closed his shop and he and one of his barbers moved down the road where he pays rent on his chair. I go in every 3 months and depending on how he's feeling I get clippers or scissors, layers or regular, high and tight or a mite less. Hot cream with straight razor. We have a lot in common and conversation never lags. He's given me three pickup loads of firewood this year and I dread the day he no longer cuts hair.

yqtszhj
07-24-2016, 08:01 PM
No, there's a way around that too. Instead of being open to the public, you make it a private social club, with monthly or yearly "dues".

As a social club, they can restrict anyone, for any reason. They can also enroll anyone at any time. So, if some outstanding "prospect" ventures in, he can, for instance, apply for membership, pay a fee of say $25 to "inspect" his new prospective club, before committing to a full membership.

Either that, or they can teach the wenches down at the VFW to cut hair - problem solved! And the local VFW has really really nice wenches too.

There you go John, problem solved.

gb6491
07-25-2016, 12:06 PM
I was feeling pretty good today. Got some parts sent over to Hamilton Bowen for his magic touch on a project I've got going. ....
Goldilocks :hippie:,
The hair cutting story was entertaining, but let's hear about the project you've got going!
Signed,
What hair I got is cropped.

CJB
07-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Two custom Bearcats. All I'm sayin' at the moment!