PDA

View Full Version : New CW380 Runs Flawless!!! (with Lakeline & Other Accessories too...)

Old No7
08-09-2016, 08:54 AM
I've just got to report that...

My new CW380 runs flawless -- 100% Reliability after the first 250+ rounds!

No "FT-anythings" to report at all -- just 100% reliable performance!

But... I didn't go out and shoot it right out of the box...

I cleaned it well and then oiled & greased it * before ever firing the 1st shot, and I'll admit that I must have racked the slide over 300 times by hand too... Not fun, but I think it paid off.

( * As recommended by the gunsmiths at SIG when I worked there for awhile: "If it turns, oil it; if it slides, grease it." I used both the Lucas Gun Grease and Oil per their recommendations. Those work well on my SIG's too. )

I made several other upgrades to mine including:

The Pachmayr finger-groove grip sleeve, with a piece of soft-sided velcro added underneath the right side to create a slight palm swell.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Kahr_CW380_01_Small_.JPG

This is an awesome little Hybrid Appendix-carry AND Tuckable IWB holster made my MDJ Holsters. It has adjustable retention, but they also make one without that costs a little less. The price is great, it fits and carries (and conceals!) really well, and their delivery via ebay auction is less than 1 week. (That is now my 3rd MDJ Holster, as I like them a lot and they are a great value for the $$.)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Kahr_CW380_02_Small_.JPG

I also added 2 upgrades from Lakeline LLC, including their custom 380 striker and a stainless steel guide rod. Last night I donned my magnifying glasses and grabbed my fine Swiss files and added the checkering to the plain end. For a first-timer, I think it came out pretty good and adds a slight touch of class to the muzzle end... Which might just encourage the perps to "Smile and wait for the flash!"

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Kahr_CW380_03_Small_.JPG

This little Kahr will carry into places that my larger Kahr P9 Covert can't go easily, especially during the hotter summer months, so I'm really glad to add it to my collection. Having it be 100% reliable is key too, which is now boosted by the Lakeline striker.

I really don't think I "got lucky" on this CW380....................

I think the extra time that I spent prepping the piece before the first shot really helped get it up and running well from the start. And now with these upgrades added, it's even better.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tight groups,

Old No7

Bawanna
08-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Good post and excellent job.

The guide rod turned out really good. Nice approach with a happy ending.

JMag
08-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Excellent!

----------------------
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.--Sir Winston Churchill

Alfonse
08-09-2016, 01:31 PM
My hat is off to you. Nice job and that is a beautiful pistol.

topgun1953
08-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Awesome.
Thanks for the nice report! What will be your ammo choice for carry?

Old No7
08-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the comments all.

What will be your ammo choice for carry?
I still have a supply of SIG V-Crown ammo, which shoots great; and any load topped with Hornady XTPs will work as well.

Old No7

Amacro
08-09-2016, 06:39 PM
A beauty!
Al

Bills1873
08-09-2016, 07:51 PM
I don't consider you lucky, I consider you thorough! Great prep job. Goes to show us all that these are generally great little guns!

SaltyNC
08-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Congrats on your CW380, and nice job on that guide rod. It looks great! I followed a similar protocol when I first got my CW380 and had a similar experience. XTPs run like butter in the CW380. Heck, now I can even shoot Winchester flat nose. I had mine on the range last week and did a mixed magazine of American Eagle, Precision One XTP, Winchester flat nose white box, and Fiocchi just to see what would happen. It ran that magazine flawlessly. I'm going to check out those MDJ holsters. Welcome to the Kahr Pocket Club. :)

Salty

Papersniper
08-10-2016, 11:52 AM
.......I had mine on the range last week and did a mixed magazine of American Eagle, Precision One XTP, Winchester flat nose white box, and Fiocchi just to see what would happen...........

Salty

You might remember I had some difficulties with American Eagle FMJs in my new CW380 a week or so ago, but no problems with the Lawman FMJs. Didn't seem right then, and I still can't understand it. Next trip to the range I'll try those two again, plus some Geco I found in the ammo closet. I hope it runs better on the American Eagle, as I've got another 150 rounds of it! I can always use it in my Glock 42, but it'll bug me if I cannot get it to feed reliably in the Kahr.

dustnchips
08-11-2016, 09:37 AM
A great look. I had great success by following the instructions on the stickies for the gun prep on my CW380. first 100 rounds and lots of failures. Preped the gun per stickies and have never had another problem. Kahr should include them with new pistols.

Armybrat
08-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Nice set up.